Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #241
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did check out his inventory and I didn't see anything for a legendary sheep. I'll have to check the map out next time.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #242
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm really having a hard time getting into this game. Everything I do just seems like a giant chore. And heaven forbid I bump into someone with my horse, then the whole town is trying to kill me. I stop to investigate some dead bodies on a stage coach, someone sees me, and almost instantly there are people after me for murdering them. Earlier, a guy stole my horse when I was in the middle of no-where and it took me almost an hour to walk my dumb ass back to town to get a new horse. And this is fun?

I'm not going to quit yet, it seems like there are a million things to learn and maybe once I've figured out some more stuff it will start to be more fun. I did capture a super sweet Arabian horse that's way faster than the old nags I had before, so at least now I can get around a bit quicker. Until it gets killed or stolen at least.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #243
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've racked up quite the reputation running over / killing people with my horse, initiating massive shootouts, robbing helpless people and starting copious amounts of drunken bar fights.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #244
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

And then I played Red Dead Redemption II.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #245
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pure grind. I can't see this game having the almost endless replay value of the first if it's this much of a chore to do most things. On one level you appreciate how much they put into some of the smaller things but when actually playing who wants to be slowed down by the endless number of random events that occur.

A simulation slider to change how much some of this matters would be nice. Taking care of camp, chopping wood etc seem neat at first but get tedious fast.

The first mission when you're out of the mountains, taking the girls into town I ran into a townie and ended up with the cops chasing me, it was so over the top. Didn't get closure on the mission at all as they gunned me down. The mission ended and everyone else was just back at camp.. frustrating to say the least.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #246
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Pure grind. I can't see this game having the almost endless replay value of the first if it's this much of a chore to do most things. On one level you appreciate how much they put into some of the smaller things but when actually playing who wants to be slowed down by the endless number of random events that occur.

A simulation slider to change how much some of this matters would be nice. Taking care of camp, chopping wood etc seem neat at first but get tedious fast.

The first mission when you're out of the mountains, taking the girls into town I ran into a townie and ended up with the cops chasing me, it was so over the top. Didn't get closure on the mission at all as they gunned me down. The mission ended and everyone else was just back at camp.. frustrating to say the least.
Just go replay the mission? Every main mission you do you have the option to replay it so you can get a better rating if you want.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/...eplay_missions

Quote:
To replay missions in Red Dead Redemption 2, it’s a fairly straightforward process. Simply stop what you’re doing and pause the game with the Options button. Scroll to ‘Progress’ then ‘Story’ and select a chapter. Clicking on a chapter will reveal all the missions from that particular section of the game. If you push the triangle button when selecting a particular mission, then you’ll be able to replay it. Remember that you can also hit the square button to see each mission’s list of objectives, and you’ll need to complete them all for a Gold Medal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #247
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Didn't realize that, I'll have to check it out. Still though, the mission just ended suddenly without any warning. Was a little jarring.

The missions and writing are such a high level though
Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #248
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hogtied a guy last night and threw him off a rail bridge. Was oddly satisfying.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #249
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I'm really having a hard time getting into this game. Everything I do just seems like a giant chore. And heaven forbid I bump into someone with my horse, then the whole town is trying to kill me. I stop to investigate some dead bodies on a stage coach, someone sees me, and almost instantly there are people after me for murdering them. Earlier, a guy stole my horse when I was in the middle of no-where and it took me almost an hour to walk my dumb ass back to town to get a new horse. And this is fun?
Yep this is one of the biggest annoyances with this game. I put Assassin's Creed Odyssey in last night and it was fun to just barrel through people in crowded areas without worrying about it. And when I was in the middle of nowhere without him, I whistled and he just showed up. It's more fun when you don't have to worry about stuff like that. Not to mention you can just fast travel to any Synchronized locations from any safe location on the map, at any point.

RDR2 punishes you too severely and in an unrealistic way. When I was in Saint Denis I yelled at an old lady (the 'Antagonize' prompt), didn't even do anything else, and suddenly I was wanted for 'Disturbing the Peace' and had six cops on the mini map looking for me. Really? Or, like you said, losing your horse in the middle of nowhere and then having to leg it to your camp / or nearest town. It's just not that fun... and I guess it's more "realistic", but there's enough unrealistic happenings in this game then it doesn't really matter. The realism is always at the expense and inconvenience to the player, never to anyone else.

It's a technical marvel, but it felt like they added so many things they stopped asking if people actually wanted to play this stuff. Yeah, chopping wood and moving sacks around the camp at walking speed, really fun gameplay elements guys...

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 11-07-2018 at 11:36 AM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #250
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't have to run back to camp...Tame a wild horse or steal someone elses horse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #251
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
You don't have to run back to camp...Tame a wild horse or steal someone elses horse.
Sure but those have conditions too. The world isn’t just flush with wild horses — lots of areas don’t have any at all. So I’d have to run around aimlessly looking for one. I’d be better to steal one, but then I’m going to be wanted, or have to take down other witnesses, and generally just get into trouble or get a further bounty on my head. All just to get back to the camp and start a new mission.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #252
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I wish the mount your horse button wasn't the same button as choke out the random innocent woman standing next to my horse button.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #253
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s a video game yes but they wanted to add real world situations and events.

If your horse dies having another appear magically would really take away from the game. Blowing into town full tilt hammering people and hurting or killing them is in the game because of the same premise. I get this game isn’t for everyone but it’s not a call of duty type experience it was meant to be a period specific experience and things that added to that experience were added in and things that take away from that experience were removed (like losing a gun or outfits due to rips etc).
Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #254
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess I like the extreme realism because it forces me to be careful when im running along that cliff edge, or speeding through town. I'd say that alone has really helped me master the controls where I don't really even worry about stuff like that anymore.

Anyone run into 'Margaret' yet? That whole mission was pretty hilarious.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #255
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your horse is too far away to call, you can set up camp where you are and go to sleep. When you wake up, your horse will be waiting for you nearby.

I find that now that I'm further into the game, I don't get the random bounties as much as earlier. I don't know if that's because I have a better reputation, or I've just become better at using the controls (the number of times I ride straight into a tree is probably an indication that I haven't become better with the controls).
Old 11-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #256
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If your horse is too far away to call, you can set up camp where you are and go to sleep. When you wake up, your horse will be waiting for you nearby.

I find that now that I'm further into the game, I don't get the random bounties as much as earlier. I don't know if that's because I have a better reputation, or I've just become better at using the controls (the number of times I ride straight into a tree is probably an indication that I haven't become better with the controls).
I t-boned a deer, it went as well as you might think. The deer went down, my horse tripped on the carcas, and I went head over heels.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 11-07-2018 at 03:11 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #257
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I get this game isn’t for everyone but it’s not a call of duty type experience it was meant to be a period specific experience and things that added to that experience were added in and things that take away from that experience were removed (like losing a gun or outfits due to rips etc).
No, it's not Call of Duty but it is Red Dead Redemption 2, based on the first game Red Dead Redemption that balanced those things very well. It's slightly dismissive what you did there. Some more balance would've been nice, to bring it back in line with the first game. At some point I just want to play and get crazy without ruining the main game for me.

Anyway.. the random encounters are always fun. Freed a girl from a paddy wagon last night, blasted down the police then set her free. I decided rather than letting her run off I wanted to keep her for myself. Lasso'd her, roped her then took her back to base camp. Unfortunately the game wouldn't let me do that, that was annoying, she was supposed to be shared with everyone. A real Casualties of War situation.

Had a big Number 6 Dance planned but the game kicked her off my horse every time .
Old 11-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #258
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
No, it's not Call of Duty but it is Red Dead Redemption 2, based on the first game Red Dead Redemption that balanced those things very well. It's slightly dismissive what you did there. Some more balance would've been nice, to bring it back in line with the first game. At some point I just want to play and get crazy without ruining the main game for me.

Anyway.. the random encounters are always fun. Freed a girl from a paddy wagon last night, blasted down the police then set her free. I decided rather than letting her run off I wanted to keep her for myself. Lasso'd her, roped her then took her back to base camp. Unfortunately the game wouldn't let me do that, that was annoying, she was supposed to be shared with everyone. A real Casualties of War situation.

Had a big Number 6 Dance planned but the game kicked her off my horse every time .

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #259
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Now you tell me...

The other thing I'm not really enjoying is how it feels like I need to look so much stuff up on the internet to get things figured out. I generally hate spoilers for games, even game play spoilers, but it really feels like it's impossibly frustrating not to google how to do things in this game.

For example, on the weekend my wife wanted to name my horse. I spent about 10 minutes scrolling through menus and wheels trying to figure out how to do it. We eventually looked it up and found out you had to do it at the stable. Went to the stable, but couldn't get in, and the guys there wouldn't talk to me. Almost got into a fight with one for 'standing too close to him'. Had to run away. Did more googling and found out that we hadn't done the mission that unlocks the stables yet. Did the mission and finally, like an hour and half later, got to name the god damn horse. The same one that was stolen like 20 minutes later.

I also now know that if your horse is stolen, you can whistle and if it's still in range it will buck off the thief. Again, this is info that would have been helpful before I spent an hour walking back to town. I'm not sure how they decided which tips would pop up on the screen, but I really feel like this horse thief stopping one would have been nice.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #260
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting tired of all the horseback. Much prefer the chaos and action of cars, but it is what it is.. a cowboy game!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cows , guns , horses , red dead redemption , wild west