Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #41
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's impressive that they're alive at all with the injuries, but if you dig a little deeper they haven't been good. They get killed 5 on 5 and their powerplay is pretty bad. They're basically riding a good penalty kill that's mostly on the back of goaltending and some hot shooting when they get shorthanded chances.

It's more an indictment of the rest of the wildcard teams than anything else. For reference, last year's mid-collapse Flames team was 3 points ahead of where Arizona is currently, and they were pretty much already done.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #42
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arizona is such a non-discussion team. They aren't doing anything amazing and have never really done anything of note. Plus they are boring to wach. If their biggest achievement this season is being able to remain mediocre with injuries, then whooptie frickin' doo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
No, god no

He traded away two young centers who are close to a PPG this season and his team is in 18th place overall.

He did manage to find a taker for Smith. No doubt they would be 31st right now with Smith still as their starter.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-14-2019 at 12:32 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #43
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ This.

There are some amazing stories in the NHL this year.
  • Tampa on track to be a top 10 NHL team all time in total points.
  • Kucherov on pace for 130 points, making him the highest-scoring player since Mario Lemieux in 1996 - 23 years.
  • Boston's 19 game point streak.
  • The Islanders losing their #1C and somehow becoming a top-tier team.
  • The Flames going from out of the playoffs to leading the Western Conference for more than half the season.
  • Etc.

How does "bad team becomes mediocre team despite injuries" even warrant a thread?
Five-hole is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack Adams, GM of the year...WTF are some of you on? These guys are below GG Flames pace
Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
It's good for the league when teams that have trouble drawing make the playoffs. If they can get fans back in the arena by having some success it helps to float all the boats in the NHL. Wealth redistribution is a real thing, and the better some of these poor market teams do, the less that teams like the Flames have to give away from their own dollars. It might end up helping the team pay for a new arena down the road if they can keep more of their profits.

It's astounding to me that fans of the game can be so short-sighted and hateful towards teams that just don't have the same income level to be competitive year in and year out. The Coyotes are basically the Oakland A's of the NHL. They have to be inventive with their limited budget to even be relevant in any given year. Add to that, they've lost a ton of games to injury with key players, and I think it's a great story of a plucky team that has found a way to win in spite of it all. Rick Tocchet should get a lot of votes for coach of the year looking at that situation. Their top scorer has 44 points. That would put Keller 6th on the Flames roster, just one point of 7th place Mikael Backlund. If Backlund was our top scorer, there's no way we'd be in a playoff spot right now.

And before anyone starts yapping about moving the team, save it. After Seattle's expansion market, there are few markets that would support an NHL team any better than Arizona could.
I don’t like this argument. In a 32 team league there will be lots of lean years. We should be in markets that fill the seats all the time, not just when things are good (and at bargain prices).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
It's good for the league when teams that have trouble drawing make the playoffs. If they can get fans back in the arena by having some success it helps to float all the boats in the NHL. Wealth redistribution is a real thing, and the better some of these poor market teams do, the less that teams like the Flames have to give away from their own dollars. It might end up helping the team pay for a new arena down the road if they can keep more of their profits.

It's astounding to me that fans of the game can be so short-sighted and hateful towards teams that just don't have the same income level to be competitive year in and year out. The Coyotes are basically the Oakland A's of the NHL. They have to be inventive with their limited budget to even be relevant in any given year. Add to that, they've lost a ton of games to injury with key players, and I think it's a great story of a plucky team that has found a way to win in spite of it all. Rick Tocchet should get a lot of votes for coach of the year looking at that situation. Their top scorer has 44 points. That would put Keller 6th on the Flames roster, just one point of 7th place Mikael Backlund. If Backlund was our top scorer, there's no way we'd be in a playoff spot right now.

And before anyone starts yapping about moving the team, save it. After Seattle's expansion market, there are few markets that would support an NHL team any better than Arizona could.
In my opinion, Houston would absolutely support the team better. With a better arena situation and more stable ownership. So while I'm not yapping about moving the team, I believe Houston should have a team.

I'm also not sure what you mean by wealth redistribution is real and the better the Coyotes do, the better the Flames do. I suppose the latter statement is technically true, but as a fan why do exactly should I care if the owners and players make more money? Is that going to make the product more accessible to the average fan?

The only good thing as a Flames fan right now is that traveling to Phoenix for a Flames game is about the cheapest opportunity to see the team that is out there.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #47
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I'm rooting for them and I honestly don't get the hate for them here.
The reason is because there are passionate hockey markets that want a team and don't have one and GB insists on trying to force a market where people don't give a rats patootie about hockey. Or not enough to really matter at least.
Which would you rather see, the Coyotes and a handful of fans in the building with zero rivalry because they can't afford not to suck or a sold out arena in QC every night with a hot rivalry with the Canadiens? Hell, even Houston vs Dallas would be entertaining and much better for the league.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #48
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

No hate just being real...their Snek is Flaccid

I have been cheering for them to end the Oilers hopes though

Last edited by dino7c; 03-14-2019 at 01:49 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
These two seem pretty contradictory no? Chayka gave Strome and Perlini up for nothing, but deserves GM of the year? Strome has been lighting it up for Chicago, and Perlini has looked decent.

I think their coach deserves coach of the year nominations. But Chayka's still a below average GM.
No no no. I think Schmaltz is better than Strome and Perlini combined -- I think it was a good trade for the Yotes. I think Strome will come crashing down to earth once he's asked to drive his own line -- he's just not a good enough skater.

All I'm saying is, because Schmaltz got hurt right away, it was LIKE they gave away Strome and Perlini for nothing. They got good value out of that trade but bad luck cost them. It's a testament to Chayka building a deep team that they've remained in the hunt.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #50
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

"remained in the hunt" because there are six good teams in the West.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #51
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gonna go onto a Coyotes board and start a Thread about the Flames.

/kidding.

Good for them West WC race is brutal. Yadda yadda whatever.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #52
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I'm rooting for them and I honestly don't get the hate for them here.
Because Canadians hate markets that struggle because how dare they don't appreciate Canada's greatest export.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #53
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
^ This.

There are some amazing stories in the NHL this year.
  • Tampa on track to be a top 10 NHL team all time in total points.
  • Kucherov on pace for 130 points, making him the highest-scoring player since Mario Lemieux in 1996 - 23 years.
  • Boston's 19 game point streak.
  • The Islanders losing their #1C and somehow becoming a top-tier team.
  • The Flames going from out of the playoffs to leading the Western Conference for more than half the season.
  • Etc.

How does "bad team becomes mediocre team despite injuries" even warrant a thread?
Arizona with a substantial amount of injuries and still battling for a playoff spot instead of pulling an Edmonton and sucking would be a story for me.

I follow the Coyotes since my family lives in Arizona still. They are playing due to hard work, reminds me a whole lot of the Flames in 14/15. I think they can make noise in the playoffs. In fact, I wouldn't mind at all if the Sharks grab the 1st seed in the PD if it means that they have to play against the Coyotes. The Coyotes have been giving them fits this whole season.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #54
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Arizona with a substantial amount of injuries and still battling for a playoff spot instead of pulling an Edmonton and sucking would be a story for me.

I follow the Coyotes since my family lives in Arizona still. They are playing due to hard work, reminds me a whole lot of the Flames in 14/15. I think they can make noise in the playoffs. In fact, I wouldn't mind at all if the Sharks grab the 1st seed in the PD if it means that they have to play against the Coyotes. The Coyotes have been giving them fits this whole season.
I take Flames vs Yotes and Sharks vs Knights 10 times out 10.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #55
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I take Flames vs Yotes and Sharks vs Knights 10 times out 10.
Right, but if the Flames can't manage to grab the 1st seed, the Coyotes can at least make it a series against the Sharks. They play better against the Sharks than the Flames.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #56
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I'm gonna go onto a Coyotes board and start a Thread about the Flames.

/kidding.

Good for them West WC race is brutal. Yadda yadda whatever.
Making this my sig
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #57
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well I wouldn't bet on Rick Tocchet to win coach of the year. But he has done a great job keeping this group together. Darcy Keumper has played extremely well. If he has another 10 good games and they make the playoffs I think he'll get some Vezina votes.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #58
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I love the Road Runner. Epic cartoon. No reason to hate the Yotes.

I hate the Wild. Don't know why. Just do.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #59
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
"remained in the hunt" because there are six good teams in the West.
When the Coyotes win tonight they'll be two points back of being the sixth-best team in the West. So...

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #60
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescorpion View Post
when the coyotes win tonight they'll be two points back of being the sixth-best team in the west. So...