Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #781
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah... I don't see any of this being in line.

The context of the statement is that they are not basing their ask on Marner, they've already created the parameters and are in the process of negotiating based on it. He also took a shot at agents who are waiting on Marner to set their asks, saying agents should be able to properly evaluate the market.

You're reading way way too much into it. If you look at the quote, again in context), it does not position the Flames as regressive but other AGENTS as regressive, and I don't think it does much at all to suggest the Flames are reactive, slow, or unfair. In context, the comparisons are against the negotiation tactics of other agents in familiar RFA territory, not the Flames. There's not a negative lobbed the Flames' way in any of his quotes, literal or inherent.
I think this is a reasonable take away.

Based on specifics though, my inference is the other way. There's lots of other ways to answer that question that don't establish a timeline for negotiations and the fact that you've tabled an offer you think is fair.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #782
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
IMO it never looks good when an agent, who until now has been silent, chooses to speak up. Regardless of his message its never by accident.
It looks like he's attending a charity golf tournament in Montreal (you can see Serge Savard's name on the backdrop). Based on the way he starts his response, it doesn't even sound like he was responding specifically to a question about Tkachuk, just the RFAs in general.

Also, I thought that Tkachuk's uncle, Craig Oster (his mom's brother), was his agent, just like he was for Keith. Oster works with Meehan at Newport Sports. Unless something has changed in that regards, Meehan might not even be directly involved in the Tkachuk negotiations.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #783
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It looks like he's attending a charity golf tournament in Montreal (you can see Serge Savard's name on the backdrop). Based on the way he starts his response, it doesn't even sound like he was responding specifically to a question about Tkachuk, just the RFAs in general.

Also, I thought that Tkachuk's uncle, Craig Oster (his mom's brother), was his agent, just like he was for Keith. Oster works with Meehan at Newport Sports. Unless something has changed in that regards, Meehan might not even be directly involved in the Tkachuk negotiations.
I think Meehan functions essentially as managing partner and is involved in all negotiations. Whereas client servicing would be up to Oster, I believe now that the client evaluation/compensation model isn't something controlled by an individual agent at Newport.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #784
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, Meehan's comments don't really seem too negative or inflammatory.
They started talks in June, "and we're working with Calgary now."

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #785
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think this is a reasonable take away.

Based on specifics though, my inference is the other way. There's lots of other ways to answer that question that don't establish a timeline for negotiations and the fact that you've tabled an offer you think is fair.
Sure, but even in the event the agent chooses to answer the question differently (I personally don't see why he would), there is virtually nothing within Meehan's response to indicate that "this negotiation has not gone well from their perspective," nor that "the next salvo of statements would be talking about ending talks."

My interpretation of Meehan's comments strike me as fairly benign:

"Our approach was proactive and progressive. We started early, formulated a fair position and delivered it to Calgary in early June. We are involved in negotiations with Calgary now based on that fair offer."

Like PepsiFree has correctly pointed out, Meehan's response is clearly to a question about the structure of the entire RFA landscape, and addresses only the specifics of what they are doing with Tkachuk relative to other RFAs. They're still negotiating off of an offer as opposed to waiting to see how other new contracts shape the market. If anything, this gives me some added confidence that a deal with Tkachuk is signed before the season begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #786
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
FWIW, Meehan's comments don't really seem too negative or inflammatory.
They started talks in June, "and we're working with Calgary now."
Yeah nothing to see here.

Just agent speak towards the end of summer with lots of RFAs unsigned. We will see the trickle through of comments from most of these camps in the next week or so.

The leverage game is starting, as expected.

Nothing inflammatory at all in what he said. In fact compared to Winnipeg/Laine, they're talking, which is good.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #787
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Meehan have Rantanen or any other RFAs?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #788
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Does Meehan have Rantanen or any other RFAs?
It looks like Travis Konecny is the only other significant RFA represented by Newport Sports.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #789
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It looks like Travis Konecny is the only other significant RFA represented by Newport Sports.
Thanks. Was kinda thinking this might have been an angle.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #790
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
One thing Meehan does not anticipate is a standoff similar to one the Leafs had with William Nylander where he ended up signing before the 5 p.m. ET RFA deadline on Dec. 1.

“The worst thing you want is a Nylander kind of scenario where the player is out until December, that’s not beneficial for the player or the club.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...r-flames-june/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #791
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too bad a comment....Meehan basically just said he hit a decent forehand down the line. Ball is in Calgary's court and Tre is scampering back and getting a racquet on it probably.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #792
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haven't voted in the poll because I still think it will end up being a 1 or 2 year @ $6.75. With the need to keep Brodie now I am more sure of it.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #793
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
Haven't voted in the poll because I still think it will end up being a 1 or 2 year @ $6.75. With the need to keep Brodie now I am more sure of it.
Why does Tkachuk do that though? He's risking 10s of millions of guaranteed money for what? He just put up an almost point per game season. Now is the time for him to cash in on a four or five year deal at at least 8 million per year.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #794
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Why does Tkachuk do that though? He's risking 10s of millions of guaranteed money for what? He just put up an almost point per game season. Now is the time for him to cash in on a four or five year deal at at least 8 million per year.
Well, if Treliving is only willing to offer that his choice is to sit out a season. Or go to the KHL. I guess that's why.

A four year deal should not cost 8 million. Why would Treliving do that?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #795
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, if Treliving is only willing to offer that his choice is to sit out a season. Or go to the KHL. I guess that's why.

No Tkachuk for a whole season would leave a big hole in your lineup, no? Who is going to step up and contribute on the second line?

The Flames really want to waste a season of Gaudreau and Gio? This is your teams primetime to do some damage.

Plus he sits out the season that bridge is burned. You basically have to trade him in the offseason and likely at a reduced return.

It's not as easy as you make it sound.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #796
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
No Tkachuk for a whole season would leave a big hole in your lineup, no? Who is going to step up and contribute on the second line?

The Flames really want to waste a season of Gaudreau and Gio? This is your teams primetime to do some damage.

Plus he sits out the season that bridge is burned. You basically have to trade him in the offseason and likely at a reduced return.

It's not as easy as you make it sound.
But the pressure on Tkachuk's side is just as pronounced as it is on the Flames.

If he sits out a full season, that is a full-year's earnings lost, and it sets in jeopardy his own NHL future. Not that Tkachuk would not play in the NHL, but more rather that his NHL rights and future remain controlled by the team he has just rebuffed. Make no mistake: the last thing Tkachuk wants to happen is to miss games because of this—to say nothing for several weeks of missed time or a full season.

Like you point out, it's not as easy as you make it sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-20-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #797
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

That might be the new market, based on Matthews and Aho's deals.

I guess we'll see who blinks first.

Historically it's the teams, who are chasing talent that is not readily available elsewhere.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #798
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But the pressure on Tkachuk's side is just as pronounced as it is on the Flames.

If he sits out a full season, that is a full-year's earnings lost, and it sets in jeopardy his own NHL future. Not that Tkachuk would not play in the NHL, but more rather that his NHL rights and future remain controlled by the team he has just rebuffed. Make no mistake: the last thing Tkachuk wants to happen is to miss games because of this—to say nothing for several weeks of missed time or a full season.

Like you point out, it's not as easy as you make it sound.
Obviously there is pressure in different ways on both sides.

The situation right now isn't a nylander situation where the Leafs had cap space to sign him but didn't want to pay the price, the situation right now is the Flames don't have capspace to sign him.

The Flames also need Tkachuk a hell of a lot more than the Leafs needed Nylander.

Right now there is some ambiguity about just how much Tkachuk impacts the lineup, but in a situation where he goes unsigned for the month of October for example, and the flames are a 500 or sub 500 team, the pressure on the flames is substantially higher.

In the middle of your contending window you don't let your second best offensive player sit out and lose a ton of games as a result just to prove a point. Treliving is on the hot seat here, getting behind the 8 ball because you didn't make enough room to sign one of your best players isn't a great look after the last 2 seasons he's had.

I don't think there is any real concern or debate between the organization and tkachuk's camp on what he's going to be paid. The problem of not signing tkachuk is directly related to the lack of cap dollars the Flames have.

IMO, this is a one sided issue at this point; the flames need to get their house in order.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #799
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Obviously there is pressure in different ways on both sides.

The situation right now isn't a nylander situation where the Leafs had cap space to sign him but didn't want to pay the price, the situation right now is the Flames don't have capspace to sign him.

The Flames also need Tkachuk a hell of a lot more than the Leafs needed Nylander.

Right now there is some ambiguity about just how much Tkachuk impacts the lineup, but in a situation where he goes unsigned for the month of October for example, and the flames are a 500 or sub 500 team, the pressure on the flames is substantially higher.

In the middle of your contending window you don't let your second best offensive player sit out and lose a ton of games as a result just to prove a point. Treliving is on the hot seat here, getting behind the 8 ball because you didn't make enough room to sign one of your best players isn't a great look after the last 2 seasons he's had.

I don't think there is any real concern or debate between the organization and tkachuk's camp on what he's going to be paid. The problem of not signing tkachuk is directly related to the lack of cap dollars the Flames have.

IMO, this is a one sided issue at this point; the flames need to get their house in order.
The Flames have to make a move for sure ... they have to clear some space.

But you don't honestly think the two sides are done on a deal and that's the hold up do you? This is a multi team vs multi player game of chicken with the Flames holding a pretty key player in the battle.

I'd imagine GMs think it vital not to be the second contract to emerge like the system breaking Matthews example.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #800
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The Flames have to make a move for sure ... they have to clear some space.

But you don't honestly think the two sides are done on a deal and that's the hold up do you? This is a multi team vs multi player game of chicken with the Flames holding a pretty key player in the battle.

I'd imagine GMs think it vital not to be the second contract to emerge like the system breaking Matthews example.
I think realistically all these values are pretty much locked in at this point and it's a factor of term defining the AAV.

I think Tkachuk's camp probably gave The Flames contracts they would accept in for 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 year terms and it's up to the flames at this point to make space for whichever term gives them their desired AAV.

I think at this point Tkachuk's camp is starting to get antsy because there is a limited pool of cap dollars available that is dwindling by the day, so long terms with higher AAVs are getting harder and harder to sign.

More or Less I think Tkachuk has the Flames over a barrel. This is the first time they've been actually competitive since Treliving has arrived. For the ownership group it's the first competitive roster in close to 15 years, and tkachuk might be the difference between making the playoffs and not, so what do you do? Pay a bunch of money to buyout players just to let tkachuk hold out and not make the dance?

I think the Flames understand what it's going to cost to sign tkachuk at this point but they havne't been able to clear the necessary cap space to do so either because no one wants the players they are willing to move, or the flames don't want to give up players that teams actually want.

Specifically, I don't think the Flames want to retain enough salary on Frolik that would make him tradeable because it doesn't really help them hit term value for Tkachuk that they want.

I think the Flames want Tkachuk for Term and can't make enough space to get there and that is what is holding everything up.

The Flames can probably fit an 8.5x5 deal by retaining 1.5 million on Frolik, but they probably can't do a 10x7 deal that they really want without moving Frolik's entire cap hit. And I don't think anyone wants to take the full price on Frolik without a pick attached, which the flames ALSO don't want to have to do.

The Brouwer/Stone buyouts have eaten up the cap you could've used on Tkachuk, I'm sure there have been discussions between the GM and the owners about just how much cash they are going to have to spend to get Treliving out from under these mistakes. I don't think they want to pay 4.5 million dollars this year for 3 guys not to play for them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread