Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2023, 11:01 PM   #4901
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it would be supremely un-Marvel-like to seemingly spoil as much of the movie as they appeared to there, I was annoyed after watching it too, just seems like scenes from every major plot point start to finish. I’ll be annoyed if there isn’t some trickery at work here (like that’s all just in the first 40 mins or something)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #4902
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I’m glad when I watched that last night I wasn’t really paying attention. I won’t watch it again.

I have become pretty good at not watching past the first trailer for movies I want to see.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:04 AM   #4903
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today James Gunn is posting his phase one DC film slate, curious to see what he's prioritizing.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:13 AM   #4904
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay so we are getting 5 movies and 5 TV shows. Gal, Mamoa, Ezra and Levi can stay on but they are recasting Cavill as Superman.

Movies:

Superman Legacy: written and possibly directed by Gunn released July 11 2025
Brave and the Bold: story about Batman and Damien Wayne
The Authority: ensemble movie involving Wild Storm characters
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow
Swamp Thing

TV shows:
Waller
Creature Commandos: animated series
Lanterns: Hal Jordan and John Stewart
Paradise Lost: Prequel to the Wonder Woman movies and will be similar to Game of Thrones.
Booster Gold

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...235507426/amp/

Also Matt Reeves The Batman Part II will arrive Oct 3 2025.

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 01-31-2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:23 AM   #4905
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Okay so we are getting 5 movies and 5 TV shows. Gal, Mamoa, Ezra and Levi can stay on but they are recasting Cavill as Superman.

Movies:

Swamp Thing

TV shows:
Waller
Paradise Lost: Prequel to the Wonder Woman movies and will be similar to Game of Thrones.
Booster Gold

Makes the decision to get rid of Cavill even more puzzling. He seemed to be the only one (besides Levi) that was working out.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:40 AM   #4906
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Similarly, Safran and Gunn left the door open for Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Zachary Levi to continue playing their respective DC superheroes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash and Shazam, but Gunn reiterated that Henry Cavill will not continue as Superman. Otherwise, the execs said, they will be casting new actors in the roles.

Having those folks back sounds like a BIG if.

But I really wonder what Henry did to piss them off.
Makes me think of that blind item about his time on the Witcher.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #4907
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very strange. Especially since Miller is mentioned too and really, if anyone, he should be getting le boot.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:51 AM   #4908
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’ll be honest, I’m really excited to see how DC can #### this up. And now they’re bringing in Vertigo/Wildstorm properties? It’s a whole new library of beloved comic adaptations to ruin.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:25 AM   #4909
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post

Having those folks back sounds like a BIG if.

But I really wonder what Henry did to piss them off.
Makes me think of that blind item about his time on the Witcher.
Does sound like the decision was largely Gunn wanting to make his own Superman movie from scratch. He may find that easier said than done.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:27 AM   #4910
Knut

Exp:

Ezra Miller and Crazy Christian Anti-vaxxer Levi staying on is puzzling. More DC movies to ignore. Every time I watch one I regret it.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:39 AM   #4911
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think the decision to promote Ezra Miller as potentially returning for the role, among the other characters, is that they want people to still be interested in the movies. Interest will drop if they know its a dead end for that character.. the moneys already been spent so do your best to recover what you can before you move on to new casting.

I think this will be a more up beat Superman film, similar to the classics. Looking forward to this.

Possibly my least favourite Batman arcs involve Damien, but that being said it's a new take on an already exhaustible character so I will go in with an open mind.

This is very intriguing for me, I loved the Wild Storm comics as a kid. Think something closer to The Boys with much lower inhibitions than we've seen in the mainstream comic franchises. Existing as its own universe separate from Superman and co ( Earth 50 I think?) this could be great.

A very James Gunn move, I have no idea how this will be but I think its neat they want to cast voice actors that can also show up in live action cross overs.

Warring Amazonian clans in a Game of Thrones backdrop? Ya ok sign me up.

Booster Gold

Definitely the one I am most excited for. It really is to bad because Chris Pratt would play this character so well.. but there are to many parallels to Star Lord. However that being said I would be such a fanboi if they did cast him. Booster is one of the most entertaining characters DC has, this could be great.

And last and probably least... the Green Lantern show. It sounds like they have re worked the initial pitch including moving in a new direction... with a new director. I like that they are going to be including Hal Jordan because I just feel you can't do a GL introduction without the OG... L.

I've always seen this as being a Lethal Weapon style buddy cop series with these two guys traversing the galaxy hunting down criminals solving intergalactic crime. There is potential, I really... reallllly hope Gunn just gets the right director.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:56 AM   #4912
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

Movies:

Swamp Thing

TV shows:
Waller
Booster Gold

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 01:44 PM   #4913
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this slate, DCs been on a roll quality wise. Each year this young decade the best superhero movie was from DC. I only wish it was more movies and less TV shows.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:56 PM   #4914
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It's long been cool to crap on DC, despite Marvel pumping out a lot of mediocre content lately they are still the golden child... they've earned the title but aren't doing a good job of keeping it up. It won't be that hard for DC to look good in comparison, if we're comparing to the latest content.

DC fans unite Nadal, our time to shine is coming!!!

Old 01-31-2023, 02:58 PM   #4915
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...despite the fact that its not really a 'Team Game' at least DC at least has Gunn at the helm and he can usually be trusted to pump out some decent fare.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:31 PM   #4916
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Leading with Batman and Superman again, it's a bad choice. Wish them luck, I'm still feel no need to apologize for my fandom of the Marvel properties, I'd love to see more good content from DC to go along with it.

Still maintain that they have not earned my money, and will wait for the free option on their content until they show some big improvements (The Batman was a very good first step, but still suffered from a lot of the DC problems, mainly needlessly overtelling the story)
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:46 PM   #4917
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I guess Gunn confirmed that the Batman and Joker movies are taking place in 'Elseworlds'

https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-joker...ds-james-gunn/

Makes sense The Batman seems a lot more like Earth One. A Red Son or Gotham by Gaslight Elseworld would be great on the big screen.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:59 PM   #4918
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just still all sounds so haphazardly slapped together and just hoping for things to work. The announcement should've been: Superman Legacy comes in 2025 and will kick off a whole new DC Universe, please look forward to it!

Instead they're announcing that, plus a whole 'phase' full of a bunch of random / obscure TV shows and C-tier hero movies like they've already the good will built up like Marvel does. Making all the same mistakes again without feeling out what actually works and what the audience wants.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:13 PM   #4919
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It just still all sounds so haphazardly slapped together and just hoping for things to work. The announcement should've been: Superman Legacy comes in 2025 and will kick off a whole new DC Universe, please look forward to it!

Instead they're announcing that, plus a whole 'phase' full of a bunch of random / obscure TV shows and C-tier hero movies like they've already the good will built up like Marvel does. Making all the same mistakes again without feeling out what actually works and what the audience wants.
Yeah, When they plan stuff like that so far out publically, you just know it's going to shift and some will never happen. Remember the big Marvel blockbuster THE INHUMANS. Me either.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:56 PM   #4920
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think the decision to promote Ezra Miller as potentially returning for the role, among the other characters, is that they want people to still be interested in the movies. Interest will drop if they know its a dead end for that character.. the moneys already been spent so do your best to recover what you can before you move on to new casting.
Yeah, that's what I suspect as well. They don't want to reshoot/edit to replace Miller, so they're hoping they can salvage The Flash and then make the change.

It's also a carrot for Miller to behave until after the movie comes out.