Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #1701
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we seem to be in a new news holding pattern, I went through all of the arena related threads and STH holder info threads to look at all the things Ken King has publicly said over the years starting all the way back to 2006 to the day CalgaryNEXT was announced and copied relevant comments as to the status of the project with regards to the building, financing, discussion with the City etc.

Anyone interested in it? it is verrrrrry long. Should I create a new thread? It will have to be multiple posts.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #1702
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Create a new thread IMO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #1703
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Since we seem to be in a new news holding pattern, I went through all of the arena related threads and STH holder info threads to look at all the things Ken King has publicly said over the years starting all the way back to 2006 to the day CalgaryNEXT was announced and copied relevant comments as to the status of the project with regards to the building, financing, discussion with the City etc.

Anyone interested in it? it is verrrrrry long. Should I create a new thread? It will have to be multiple posts.
you deserve some serious credit as I attempted a similar project and git absolutely fed up after what I imagine was being a third into the way if the project.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #1704
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Holy hell, are you serious? That would have taken the patience of a Saint.

New thread. Definitely new thread.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #1705
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my opinion, a replacement of the Saddledome in its current location is expensive, and not a venture either the Flames or the City should undertake singlehandedly. The real value from these projects comes from the improvement/development of surrounding areas (yes, like the Ice District) and that simply won't happen in the Dome's current location. The trouble here of course is that we don't have a dilapidated area near downtown that can easily be improved by building a rink in it, so the marginal improvement of an area seems small. Ultimately, I'm not sure how this development as proposed makes sense for either side.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #1706
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Wow I can't wait for this and given how long you say it is I'd hate to see it lost in this thread.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #1707
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Well, thanks Barnes, I'm pretty pumped to see the results of your labor..
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #1708
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
So your question is essentially "If the Flames funded their arena in a completely different way than they've proposed, and where they pay for the whole of it by borrowing the money, who would be funding the arena?"
No, my point is that they are almost the exact same thing. Owners funding that portion of their contribution through debt and servicing that debt from revenues.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #1709
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It's because you keep believing that this is a Tax. It isn't. It is a method to circumvent HRR.
Exactly. We're it not for dodging HRR, it's exactly the same as the Flames saying that x amount from every ticket to every event in the building will go directly toward that portion of loan repayment. And yes, every other business does operate that way. But the Flames won't, because when it comes to the revenue from the NHL team, half that amount would go to the players instead. So the 'tax' circumvents that.

If who guarantees the loan is your beef, that's fine. To me it makes no difference if it's RBC, City, Province or whomever, but I get that ymmv on that one. Disputing the rest is puzzling.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 09-20-2017 at 03:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #1710
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
No, my point is that they are almost the exact same thing. Owners funding that portion of their contribution through debt and servicing that debt from revenues.
No. Ticket tax is not the same as revenue. Nor is borrowing from bond markets - guaranteed by the City to get a very low rate - the same as borrowing from the bank. Therefore, they are not "almost the exact same thing."
Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #1711
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why should it take any time at all? The City released their plan the next day on a one-page infographic.

What did the CSEC show City Council? Show us that. It should be done already, just release it.

Remember, the Flames wanted this. They're the ones that went Public, they're the ones that forced the City's hand, they're the ones that engaged the media. They should have been ready.

More amateur hour BS from CSEC.

What happened to these guys? They used to be one of the most tightly and Professionally Run Organizations around and right now they're a punchline.
King tried to feed the napkin through the copier and it got jammed.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #1712
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thinking back to 2013, what all got replaced because of the floods in the 'dome? It's not like everything is original in that building.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #1713
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Date: Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 7:40 AM
Subject: Calgary Flames ownership releases arena proposal details

The Calgary Flames say they were prepared to contribute $275 million dollars upfront to the city's Victoria Park vision that includes a new arena. The team's proposal also included $225 million in funding from a community revitalization levy.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #1714
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/fans/arena
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #1715
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My God...the Flames really are saying they are paying 120% of the arena...their share plus property taxes. You can't say "we have to pay this expense" to pay back the city and conveniently ignore that you keep the rest of the earnings from the arena. That's not how this works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #1716
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
As a result, after over two years of discussions, we see absolutely no basis upon which a new arena agreement can be achieved with the City, and we have concluded that there is no point to continue the pursuit of a new arena in Calgary
This just rubs me the wrong way. The presented timeline is goofy too. Basically they took 7 years to design CalgaryNEXT and they’re pretty much sulking over that not working.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #1717
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I guess they're not going to stop using Edmonton as a comparable. That's too bad, because they're not going to get the same deal. They should just stop bringing Edmonton up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #1718
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Time for Murray Edwards to sell the team to a local owner. Stay on your rock Murray!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #1719
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
we have concluded that there is no point to continue the pursuit of a new arena in Calgary. Many, including us, believe Calgary is a terrific place for NHL hockey and we certainly have great fans. As such, we will strive to operate, as we have for the past 34 years, in the Saddledome for as long as we believe it is feasible.
Empty threats once again. Such a pathetically written article with terrible graphics.

Did the Calgary Next proposal maker whip that up in 15 minutes?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #1720
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

King on 770 right now. Refusing to answer questions from Gord Gillies. Sounds even worse than last week.
Closed Thread