Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Narcos (Netflix Series)

Has anyone started watching this series yet? It goes through Pablo Escobar's rise in Columbia and his cocaine empire.

I've seen 4 episodes so far - good stuff!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to check this out, read Killing Pablo about a decade ago, just nuts how much power he had, even over government and the police.

I wonder if someone playing Griselda Blanco would make an appearance. Watched Cocaine Cowboys on Netflix recently, after everything I knew about Pablo, it was weird and really interesting seeing someone else in power that even Escobar was wary of. He didn't really take over until later on when she was out of the picture.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I like it. The criticism from people is that this isn't really a "deep dive" and somewhat superficial documentary style version.

As someone who is really not familiar with Escobar at all, I'm really enjoying it. Maybe someday someone will do a more rich take but this is highly watchable.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Was going to post about this. Love it so far. I find it borrows a lot from the Scorsese style, and isn't as good. However, for a TV series it's still great.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Was going to post about this. Love it so far. I find it borrows a lot from the Scorsese style, and isn't as good. However, for a TV series it's still great.
I noticed the same thing. The voiceover, freeze frames, and camera moves are all out of Goodfellas. It was a little distracting, but overall I enjoyed the first episode.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have to go back and re watch the first two episodes. It took me that long to figure out that there were subtitles on the Spanish parts and then How to turn them on

thanks unblockus

Last edited by gasman; 08-30-2015 at 03:56 PM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing spoils a show/movie like bad narration, and the narration in the first episode was teeeerible and non-stop. And it didn't help that Boyd Holbrook, who plays DEA Agent Steve Murphy, can't act any better than he can narrate. The scene where he comes home and talks to his wife after shooting the kid was painful.

When the second episode started with more narration, I shut it down. I may revisit the show if I'm desperate at some point, but that would be it.

Last edited by Mike F; 08-30-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Clarified 'narration' instead of 'voiceover'
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you guys finding a version with English voice over? The episode I watched was mostly in Spanish.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

By voiceover, I mean narration by DEA Agent Steve Murphy. All of the Spanish stuff is subtitled.

I'll edit to clarify that.

Last edited by Mike F; 08-30-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
djdragan
Draft Pick

Only 2 episodes in, but really liking it so far. While I don't mind the subtitles, I'm finding that they blend in with the background often, making them difficult to read. Not sure if there is a way to change the color or size/font?
djdragan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djdragan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 05:24 AM   #11
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Just wrapped up episode six. While at times the acting leaves something to be desired, the snippets of actual footage really lends a hand to the storytelling. It's well done and pretty riveting.

Spoiler!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Are you guys finding a version with English voice over? The episode I watched was mostly in Spanish.
I don't believe dubbed is available.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdragan View Post
Only 2 episodes in, but really liking it so far. While I don't mind the subtitles, I'm finding that they blend in with the background often, making them difficult to read. Not sure if there is a way to change the color or size/font?
Yeah, it's an awesome show, but the white letters are terrible for the subtitles. You'd think they'd make them white with a black outline or something so they can be seen no matter what.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #14
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just started watching Narcos and it's addictive watching. Kind of like a rom-com which you don't need to use your brains much and will get entertained.

However, I do find the actor playing Escobar a little lazy. I could hardly detect any emotion or menace from his acting. And he kind of looks like Jason Dufner before his weight loss transformation.

Last edited by darklord700; 09-28-2015 at 02:36 PM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cant wait for season 2!
Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #16
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the first season and really enjoyed it. It's one of those shows where you find yourself sympathizing with some pretty evil people.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by darklord700; 09-28-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thing I learned is that Escobar could have quit when he was in Panama. He already has all the money in the world so why go back to Columbia?

I don't buy the missing home angle. For people like Escobar peace is worse than death, he needed his war everyday. I think deep down inside Escobar knew he was walking the path of his own destruction but he simply couldn't help it.

Maybe Escobar did feel guilty about all the people he killed that he cannot endure peace for there'll be no peace in his heart ever.

Last edited by darklord700; 09-28-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #19
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watched the first two episodes yesterday, as a native spanish speaker, enjoyed it even more. The Colombian accents are pretty good. Good series for late night.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #20
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Thing I learned is that Escobar could have quit when he was in Panama. He already has all the money in the world so why go back to Columbia?

I don't buy the missing home angle. For people like Escobar peace is worse than death, he needed his war everyday. I think deep down inside Escobar knew he was walking the path of his own destruction but he simply couldn't help it.

Maybe Escobar did feel guilty about all the people he killed that he cannot endure peace for there'll be no peace in his heart ever.
The celebrity factor of being the most powerful man in Columbia also played into it. There's a reason why he needed to run for office.

It should also be stated that this show takes liberties with the truth for dramatic purposes. So Escobar's true status in Panama might be different than the show states.

For example, the storming of the Supreme Court did not go down the way the show depicts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Justice_siege

It's debatable how much involvement Escobar had in the storming, and he most likely did not execute the perpetrators afterwards; that was the Columbian army.

It'd actually be pretty interesting if Season 2 was shot from Escobar's perspective.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: