Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Travelling to Persian Gulf

I am seeking some general advice about traveling to Qatar and Dubai in December. I am supposed to attend two global events that don't seem to be cancelled... yet...

It's not appropriate to discuss this in the ongoing conflict thread, but I am growing exceedingly concerned about attending these events. Particularly the one in Qatar, as I have come to discover that Qatar houses the headquarters of Hamas and also is actively brokering negotiations for hostages.

Does anyone have any experience traveling to Qatar? Should I be concerned about the general atmosphere being dangerous in addition to the obvious potential danger of proximity to a warzone? Should I look to skip Qatar but attend Dubai?

Ok with my anxiety out of the way, I also want to know if anyone knows of fun things to do in Qatar? I have many things in mind for Dubai but not Qatar.

Please share your experiences in the persian gulf with me!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 02:50 PM   #2
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in Poland recently for work and I figured the risk of being there for the start of WW3 was pretty low. I’d feel the same about going to Qatar and Dubai.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:08 PM   #3
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been to the UAE 10 years ago, my information is outdated but I really don't think you have to be concerned about any security issues there.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd go - and the explosions going off next door wouldn't even make the frozen daiquiris go down less smoothly.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:55 PM   #5
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I am seeking some general advice about traveling to Qatar and Dubai in December. I am supposed to attend two global events that don't seem to be cancelled... yet...

It's not appropriate to discuss this in the ongoing conflict thread, but I am growing exceedingly concerned about attending these events. Particularly the one in Qatar, as I have come to discover that Qatar houses the headquarters of Hamas and also is actively brokering negotiations for hostages.

Does anyone have any experience traveling to Qatar? Should I be concerned about the general atmosphere being dangerous in addition to the obvious potential danger of proximity to a warzone? Should I look to skip Qatar but attend Dubai?

Ok with my anxiety out of the way, I also want to know if anyone knows of fun things to do in Qatar? I have many things in mind for Dubai but not Qatar.

Please share your experiences in the persian gulf with me!
I'd definitely avoid taking the tour of the Hamas headquarters in Qatar.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read the thread title as, ‘Treliving to Persian Gulf’.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #7
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Qatar has good relations with Hamas, the US and Iran.

I don't think any one party in all of this would have a reason to attack Qatar to be quite honest.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 12:17 AM   #8
Southside403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went to qatar world cup was a blast people are so nice but it was hot. Dubai is is blast lots of celebrities ,athletes live there very high-end luxury with all sorts of activities to do its billionaires play ground. Abu Dhabi is more family oriented calm very nice as well. Very safe you have nothing to worry about doesn't matter what skin color you have they welcome everyone just be prepared spend alot
Southside403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #9
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I lived in Abu Dhabi for ten years or so and there is absolutely nothing to worry about in Dubai and I'd presume Qatar as well. Both places are chock full of expats from all corners of the globe so it's not like you'd be singled out for any reason.

Big events like concerts and sporting events happen pretty much every week in both places.

If you're looking for tips on what things to see and what to avoid in the UAE I can help there! A lot depends on what time of year you're there as summer is pretty much malls and nothing else.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2023, 10:29 AM   #10
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh and another thing.... in those countries, it's called the Arabian Gulf.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 10-22-2023, 11:30 PM   #11
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love both Doha and Dubai, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about there. I have a few Qatari friends and they are lovely and hospitable people.

I recommend checking out Msheireb, Katara, Souq Waqif, Mina District and Al Wakrah for cultural neighbourhoods to explore. Each is really cool in its own way.

For museums the Museum of Islamic Art and the National Museum are beautiful architectural wonders.

On the Pearl, there is an outdoor area that looks like Venice (and probably has one of the nicest Tim Hortons in the world lol).

Or if it's too hot outside you can go indoors to Venice at Villagio Mall. Place Vendome mall is also like being in Paris.

I can give more detailed tips for hotels, restaurants and bars (yes, there are bars) if you want, just let me know.