Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Nope, any prescription in its bottle with the prescribing doctors name, put in those plastic bags, should not cause a problem.
Good to know. I didn't realize that. I had visions of going through security at an airport where security couldn't speak English and giving me a hard time.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #22
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

NSFW!
Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
NSFW!
I know its horrible to laugh, but I'm sure the 'Urn of a Loved One's Ashes' routine has been used on more than one occasion by the odd drug smuggler here and there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:27 AM   #24
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Writes the guy who imports his own Maple Syrup
It's funny you mention my love of maple syrup because the story has a part 2.

After getting the bottle home I wanted to confirm if it was in fact the TSA and not just the bad luck of a tiny crack in transport. To do this I poured out the remaining syrup into a spare 1L water bottle and filled the syrup bottle with water. Guess what? No leaks, the TSA did it!

That is also the story of how I ended up drinking maple syrup out of a 1L bottle.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
NSFW!

Sorry, but this begs the question. Were your mother’s ashes not important enough to carry on the plane? It might just be me, but I wouldn’t put something like that in checked luggage where it could spill during normal transport.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #26
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #27
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I never travel with anything valuable in checked luggage, I thought that was common knowledge. And I learned quickly after my first international trip to never put anything in the outside pockets, because it will likely break with how hard those bags are thrown around. Bathroom supplies and anything else mildly fragile go in the middle of the bag with clothes all around to shock absorb, anything of value goes in the carry-on backpack
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #28
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Nope, any prescription in its bottle with the prescribing doctors name, put in those plastic bags, should not cause a problem.
Can confirm - last two time we flew with my little guy's suitcase of medicine (liquid form, plus had to bring needles and alcohol swabs (some even marked flammable)), we just said to security "there's medicine and supplies in here". They took maybe 30 seconds to look and inspect it. The nature of the medicine meant there was no prescription label on any of it, so we had a note from the doctor just in case, but it was never asked for.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I'd file an insurance claim with the airline and any other kind of insurance you may have, including possibly your home insurance and your credit card company.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I assume it was the TSA because there was the inspection sticker / notice in the bag when I got home.

I did not notice the side pocket being open when I re-checked in Houston. It was half open when I got to Calgary.

Not much in there worth putting in a claim for. Just annoying is all.

Will definetly leave it empty in the future.
Personally, I'd still consider contacting the airline and insurance/credit card. Explain the articles were of negligible value, but you are very upset that the situation even happened. You might be surprised what they offer you. For relatively little effort, you might get something significant (travel credit, cash back etc.). Worst case scenario, you're merely out the time to send a few emails which isn't really significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
It's funny you mention my love of maple syrup because the story has a part 2.

[snip]

That is also the story of how I ended up drinking maple syrup out of a 1L bottle.
Ignoring the container... you drink maple syrup?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #31
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Since there was a TSA notice it means they were inspecting because there was something in there that shouldn't be. What were the items they removed?

My wife had a notice in her bag and they removed a can of hairspray. I don't consider it stolen.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #32
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No, it doesn’t mean there were items that were an issue. I’ve had TSA inspection notices many times, everything was fine just the notice left behind.

As for the original post, it could be the TSA, but as others have said odds are it is baggage handlers, most likely in Mexico, though it could be anywhere. The likelihood of it being TSA is low, very high it was the baggage handlers. The notice is probably just a coincidence.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #33
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Since there was a TSA notice it means they were inspecting because there was something in there that shouldn't be. What were the items they removed?

My wife had a notice in her bag and they removed a can of hairspray. I don't consider it stolen.
Nope...Nothing in there that wasn't allowed.

They probably noticed the 3 ethernet cables I had in there and opened it up for a look.

in the side pocket there was a Golf counter, a rubber sunglass strap, a few duracell batteries and some other misc stuff.

It had been in there for a year or so. The only new items were the patch cables. That were there when i got home.

If they were concerned about pressurized containers they would have taken my shave cream.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #34
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Submit a claim with the airline, track down receipts. I had travel partners lose 3 pairs of sunglasses during a trip. (not outside pockets, but in the case itself.)

Basically at airport baggage handlers in Mexico open the bag a few inches and fish around with their hands. In this case, hard cover sunglasses cases were easy to swipe.

Westjet did reimburse them when they provided receipts.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #35
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Nope...Nothing in there that wasn't allowed.

They probably noticed the 3 ethernet cables I had in there and opened it up for a look.

in the side pocket there was a Golf counter, a rubber sunglass strap, a few duracell batteries and some other misc stuff.

It had been in there for a year or so. The only new items were the patch cables. That were there when i got home.

If they were concerned about pressurized containers they would have taken my shave cream.
Fair enough but an FYI not all airlines allow batteries in checked baggage.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #36
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lithium batteries.

These were standard Duracell "AA" 's.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #37
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Everyone has concluded that it was the Mexican's who stole the items anyways. Excellent investigating CP. Build the wall!
Old 08-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #38
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Everyone has concluded that it was the Mexican's who stole the items anyways. Excellent investigating CP. Build the wall!
In my case, it was the Greeks.

To be fair, I can't say 100% that it happened at the airport as I didn't notice until I got to my hotel. There were no stickers or notes saying my luggage was searched. My bags were brought up to our room and out of my possession for about an hour after we landed. It could have easily been hotel staff that did it.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #39
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Useful consideration for those who "lock" their zippers closed.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #40
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post

Useful consideration for those who "lock" their zippers closed.

I've always assumed using a lock on luggage is just a polite way to let the baggage handlers know there is something of value in there worth stealing.

As I can remove a bike U Lock in maybe 30 seconds flat with a cordless angle grinder I would assume the poor schmoes in baggage can take a mini lock off with a pair of nail clippers.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote