Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Anyone been to Okinawa?

Thinking about next year's vacation with my wife and 9y old kid...

We're probably going to go to Taiwan, but wondering where else we could go that is family friendly. We've shortlisted Okinawa and Singapore, but not sure which of those would be better. Any suggestions?

We've already been to Tokyo/Osaka, and Hong Kong so not really interested in those places.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My friend just took her 12 year old son to Lotte World in South Korea:

http://adventure.lotteworld.com/eng/...ttrctn/list.do
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Playfair For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I've been there, it's a good chance to see a slower, tropical side of Japan, one that has a distinct culture and a different mood. Great war history stuff there too, the Okinawa Peace Memorial Park is spectacular.

The natural landscape is also incredible - Cape Hedo is worth visiting, and lets you see a lot of the countryside.

I recommend going also to Tokashiki Island by ferry, and exploring. Great outdoor stuff if you are a nature family. Iriomote Island is also great for mangrove forests.

Okinawan cuisine is also a reason to go. Some of the best pork dishes in the world. Mimiga (pork ear) is delicious as all hell. Rafute is also a slow-braised pork belly with sweet soy that is just fantastic.

I highly recommend going there. It feels like Japan stepped back 20 years there, and in the good kind of way (a different place and time).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #5
My2Cents
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I dont know anything about Okinawa, but I do live in Singapore. Singapore is a neat city for sure. It has a few attractions like Universal Studios and something like 5 zoos (which are all amazing). Its also really close to Malaysia so you can take trips there (Lego land, KL etc) and it also has ferries to Indonesia (some are only about 45 min) if you want to explore those places.

If you have any particular questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by My2Cents; 08-15-2019 at 10:43 PM.
My2Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to My2Cents For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I've been there, it's a good chance to see a slower, tropical side of Japan, one that has a distinct culture and a different mood. Great war history stuff there too, the Okinawa Peace Memorial Park is spectacular.

The natural landscape is also incredible - Cape Hedo is worth visiting, and lets you see a lot of the countryside.

I recommend going also to Tokashiki Island by ferry, and exploring. Great outdoor stuff if you are a nature family. Iriomote Island is also great for mangrove forests.

Okinawan cuisine is also a reason to go. Some of the best pork dishes in the world. Mimiga (pork ear) is delicious as all hell. Rafute is also a slow-braised pork belly with sweet soy that is just fantastic.

I highly recommend going there. It feels like Japan stepped back 20 years there, and in the good kind of way (a different place and time).

I'll add the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium to that list. I thought it was pretty neat there and would be good for the kid.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I went to Japan a couple years ago, hit up Okinawa for a week, and it was least favourite part of the vacation - just seemed too Americanized. Not that it was bad, just I preferred Tokyo, Kyoto, etc.

Check out Jeju island in South Korea - had a blast there - Jeju Black pork = best thing ever!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post: