Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Roofing

So, I have noticed a lot of roofs being repaired. What is the deal with that? I assume these are insurance claims because they are far too prevalent for the average "starter" home to be doing as normal maintenance.

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience? I do need my roof done but would rather not pay for it.

Thanks in advance.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can see that, I'm getting my roof done tomorrow. Pure hail damage insurance claim. And now we upgrading to a rubberized asphalt that has a 35-50 year life span.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that my roof will need doing in the next few years. Tell me more about this "rubberized asphalt". How does this compare with full rubber shingles?

Insurance companies are starting to depreciate asphalt roofs at 20% per year, whereas rubber I believe is something like 2% per year, as they are less likely to be damaged by hail.

Just curious where rubberized asphalt comes in to the equation.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I know that my roof will need doing in the next few years. Tell me more about this "rubberized asphalt". How does this compare with full rubber shingles?

Insurance companies are starting to depreciate asphalt roofs at 20% per year, whereas rubber I believe is something like 2% per year, as they are less likely to be damaged by hail.

Just curious where rubberized asphalt comes in to the equation.

Rubberized asphalt is used in lots of roofing products, including shingles, commercial SBS modified bituminous roofing, hot rubberized asphalt roofing and waterproofing, etc. Regular asphalt is brittal when it is at room temperature or lower. By "rubberizing" it, the asphalt becomes very plyable. So, the most common "modifier" for asphalt here in the northern part of the world, is SBS (Styrene-Butyldine-Styrene). This product also is much more flexible even in cold weather. Combine that with fibreglass or polyester reinforcing - it becomes a very strong and durable product. It is very robust and will stand up to hail much better than regular shingles.

Now days, all shingles are reinforced with fibreglass, so they last a lot longer than the organic shingles (made with recycled paper). So even regular shingles now days are better than they used to be.

Fully rubber shingles, are a different product all together, however, they will last a lifetime on your roof and unless the hail is the size of softballs, it will stand up to almost any weather condition. They are also quite expensive.

It depends on how long you want to own your home. I think that regular fibreglass reinforced shingles will probably last 35 years or more. So, they are probably the best bang for the buck.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post: