Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Justice League *Spoilers

Okay after many years of waiting I finally got to see a Justice League movie and I got to tell you I can't stop grinning 😁

This movie had so many epic moments, are there flaws yes , but the good far out ways the bad. After the movie I was talking with my buddies then some other fans came to talk to us and we geeked out hard for about 20 minutes.

It certainly helps to be a comic fan as yes this movie is rushed no doubt about it, but I put that on WB and not on the directors. There is about 30 minutes missing that would make this movie perfect. Extended edition anyone??

How the league comes together is actually pretty good, Aquaman is great, Flash mostly worked for me, Wonder Woman is her usually great self. Batman has his moments but when his 89 theme plays it's hard not to get hyped. Atlantis looks terrific and Aquaman solo film will make over $750 Mill at the box office you heard it here first! Mera is terrific but there is no explanation of her power so if you don't know what she can do you may not get it. But watching her manipulate water is great to see.

How they bring Superman back from the Dead was a miss for even me. They decide to dig up his corpse and use a mother box and the Kryptonian ship to bring him back....but when he is back this is the Superman people have wanted. Cavill is at his best! Upon his return from the dead Superman is not sure what's going on so he turns bad and he completed destroys the league. He even lifts up Batman and says "Tell me do you bleed?" He fights Wonder Woman and doesn't hold back it was amazing to see.

Steppenwolf is okay, he's no worse than Ultron or Ares to me. There is a scene where they show the world fighting Steppenwolf that includes God's, Amazon's and Atlantians and a GREEN LANTERN I lost it.

The final battle works but you see Superman let lose and just destroy Steppenwolf and parademons it's awesome to see.

Those two after credit scenes are the best of the year! The one where Flash races Superman are you freaking kidding me! Total Wheedon scene and the 2nd scene sets up JL 2! We are getting Legion of Doom! Deathstroke looks great and Luthor is nothing like his BvS portrayal.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I expected to... agree with Nadal Fan that an extended edition will probably be better, it felt rushed, and I had read a rumour that they were forced to keep it under 120 minutes... one of the rare instances where I feel a longer runtime would have benefited the movie.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

And yes, having the 1989 Batman theme in the movie was awesome!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw they also included the 78 Superman theme but wasn't able to hear it will keep my ear out when I see it again. I'm still so happy after watching that movie. The part where Flash saves the family in the truck and feels happy then turns around to see Superman carrying a building was amazing. They really nailed the characters and the interactions between them. I could honestly have watched a 2 hour movie where they just banter and don't ever fight. Justice League 2 should be amazing if its Legion of Doom vs Justice League would be a nice change from the giant CGI villain . I'm thinking besides Luthor and Deathstroke they will also add Black Manta, maybe Cheetah , Gorilla Grodd and would be smart to add Joker. That one scene will have fans talking about sequel and that's what a good end credit scene should do. It's smart to stay away from Darkseid for now because more general audiences know Thanos and they don't want to be seen as copying Marvel, and Legion of Doom is something Marvel just can't do with their movie villains.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVbHiFm99uM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I enjoyed it, but as I said in the other thread I didn't find it memorable. I'm going to run down some thoughts in point form.

I thought the portrayals of each character was great. They left me wanting to see a solo outing for each character.

I thought the first third of the movie was really strong, the pacing felt polished and the character introductions were short but enough. Really strong. The middle third, I felt came off the rails big time, there was some huge jumps in narrative and some glossing over of character stuff. For example after resurrecting Superman for all of their given reasons, Clark just peaces out with Lois and the rest go on to fight Steppenwolf without really saying much. I think Aquaman at one point said "Well, Superman is a no-show" It was this weird giant hole in the narrative. It was like the filmmakers said "Oh right, we need to bring back Superman....okay here we go, heres kind of a cool scene...and done. Now back to the story." Then Superman shows up mid final battle, all smiles and smashes around Steppenwolf like a rag doll.

As a Superman fan, I loved the scene of him fighting the rest of the league.

When I heard reports that Steppenwolf was a weak villain, I thought they meant that he was a weak "portrayal" of a villain, not weak in strength. Turns out he was both. He was basically a plot device to give the good guys somebody to fight. They gave a small hint of his backstory, but that was pretty much it. Wonder Woman and Aquaman seemed to be handling him quite easily, then Superman showed up and really tipped the scales. For an apparent bad ass with a huge scary axe, Superman sure froze it pretty easily with his freeze breath.

I thought the Flash was really strong, I liked the nods to his future (crime lab job).

I thought Aquaman was pretty good, I'm sold on the character. I think he would have benefitted from a solo movie first though. Atlantis is just too fantastical for Aquaman to just show up without any previous character establishment.

I feel like I missed a ton of easter eggs in that historical battle scene. Aside from the Green Lantern of course.

Best sequence in the movie might have been the Amazons trying to keep the Mother Box away from Steppenwolf.

I'll maybe add more thoughts as more people comment, but overall I liked it, but whoever mandated the 2 hour time limit probably did the film a disservice.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to argue with any of that, great write up! Like most people have said it's not perfect but it is way better than what critics are saying. It's not a home run but its a stand up double, but the ultimate cut could be a grand slam.

There was so much missing from just the trailers that would have added a lot. Like Lois looking into the sky, or Alfred saying he said you would come, lets hope your not too late. Like how did Superman know where to find the JL battling? Unfortunately, the head of WB (Kevin Tsujihara) mandated that it has to be 2 hours. If this movie is 3 hours then it would be certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and would make $1 Billion world wide. Sadly we have to wait for the ultimate edition again. I don't understand why WB can't just let DC films exist on their own. Do they meddle this much with Harry Potter or with IT? It's super frustrating as a fan to see WB screw up time and time again and then have Zack Sndyer get blamed. I feel so bad for Zack I wish he was able to complete his vision but sadly he had to deal with the awful situation with his family.

When Superman is fighting the rest of the league and he turns and sees Flash the look he gives Flash is pure gold. And to see them fight in super speed was great! The Flash speed force scenes were also great, on par or better than Quicksilver in X-Men universe. When he asks Batman do you bleed? I lost it. And his fight with Wonder Woman I was curious who they would have win.

Mera to me was fantastic and I can't wait to see her in the Aquaman movie. With James Waan directing it could be like Wonder Woman in terms of reception and box office wise.

They cut a bunch of the historical battle scenes as well as Robin Wright had filmed some scenes but wasn't in the final cut (at least I didn't see her). I saw Zeus/Hercules hurl a thunderbolt and Steppenwolf made reference to the old Gods but I feel like originally there was more New Gods stuff in there before they decided to go Legion of Doom route for the sequel. After the movie my friends and I were saying that scene should have been the very start of the movie would have made it flow much better.

That Amazon scene was fantastic and showed the Amazons well. When the two Amazons are holding up the stone door while Hippolyta runs under it I lost it, they really came across as brave strong warriors and I want to see more of them.

Loved the line that Wonder Woman said that she doesn't want the spot light but she was working in the shadows. Perfectly explains her disappearance from man but also allows her sequel to take place in the 80s like is rumored.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I knew they would shoe horn a GL in, did it at least look good?

After reading the reviews I'm going to wait for Netflix on this one.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I knew they would shoe horn a GL in, did it at least look good?

After reading the reviews I'm going to wait for Netflix on this one.
He was maybe in it for 30 seconds but ya he looked awesome and had some cool constructs in battle. It wasn't a human GL it was
Spoiler!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit...I went into expecting to be massively underwhelmed in yet another DC failure of a movie...and I was very pleasantly surprised to find it one of the better DC movies.

I found the breakneck pacing to be really indicative of the fact that this was two movies smooshed into one. I am decently well versed in pop culture...but had never heard of Steppenwolf (aside from the band...) before this and he really wasn't very impressive as a villain just in general (I'm wondering if a lot of his motivation/scenes got binned).

It was a little too much of "The Batman and Friends Show" for my liking, but I have a feeling that's because I really liked Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman.

The humor struck a good place. It was nice to go into a DC movie and find funny bits. To have characters banter back and forth a bit, and to have that be funny.

I'm not sure I LIKE this 'new' Superman yet...but I can definitely find myself warming up to him, quite unlike the MoS/BvS one.

DC has finally taken some good steps in the right direction, methinks.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #11
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised that so many people like this movie. Even a good friend of mine was very positive, but listening to what he thinks worked I came to the realization that what worked didn't include things like : story, dramatic impact, motivation.

It looked good, the actors did the best with what they were given. But it felt a little like 2 hours of back to back trailers. Making the parademons the enemy took out the morality aspects, and I'm assuming the one Atlantean and one Amazon who died were Bambi's mother and ... also Bambi's mother. Everything was pretty sanitized.

I really wasn't worried that anyone was going to die. Not even the Russian family that we focused on for some reason.

Maybe the extended edition will redeem it for me.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #12
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Saw it last night and I wasn't impressed. It was just ok. I enjoyed seeing all the characters on the screen, but it felt like there was alot missing from the movie. The humor seemed forced and I only laughed once. I enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok way more.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know what the critics are smoking, but Justice League was AMAZING.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #14
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
I don't know what the critics are smoking, but Justice League was AMAZING.
Rock on! Glad you were able to enjoy it, I also really liked what we got.

Here are some deleted scenes including Iris West scene which was cut https://heroichollywood.com/justice-...ons-iris-west/
Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #15
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Rock on! Glad you were able to enjoy it, I also really liked what we got.

Here are some deleted scenes including Iris West scene which was cut https://heroichollywood.com/justice-...ons-iris-west/
Thanks for that. As a huge DC fan I was SO nervous due to the reviews, but man I'm not sure what else they want in a JL movie.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I might elaborate some other time but briefly put, I thought it was a really bad movie. There was no sense of urgency; the stakes were non-existent, and the payoff was underwhelming.

The dialogue was so poorly written. No subtlety.

Almost every character was lacking in development.

We can't simple be okay with a "bad guy" who's motivations are so simplistic, and there is no complexity to the character. A junior high kid writes a better essay than this.

Whatever you may think of Batman v Superman, at least it tried something new, at least it tried to be creative if not doing it very well. This movie on the other hand was just...bland. As if no effort was put into it. I can't believe this script was green-lit to have $300 million spent on it.

That is what happens when you have multiple directors, re-writes, studio meddling, and of course, rushing to create a Team-Up movie without having established heroes.

Just watch the trailers, instead of spending money on the movie. I'm just being honest. Yes its a superhero movie, but I have to hold every movie to at least some standard. Like Suicide Squad, this movie was yet another example of "How-Not-To-Make-a-Movie-101"

Last edited by JeanLucPicard; 11-18-2017 at 10:48 PM.
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #17
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Gadot was the best part of the show. Really enjoyed the Wonder Woman character.

I think this movie should have come out 3 years from now after they set the back stories up better
Old 11-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #18
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got back from it. It's better than B v S, but not a whole lot.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #19
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was decent. I was definitely expecting worse. On there super hero movie scale, I would peg it well above Ultron and Apocalypse, a step below Civil War.

Definitely some issues though. My biggest issue is the power levels. So an army of Amazons, Atlanteans, the Green Lantern Corps and Humans could barely handle Steppenwolfe, but a Kryptonian can basically one punch him? I realize Superman has always been OP, but that's a significant power difference.

Some of the dialogue was pretty awful as well. "I like peace, but I also like Justice!" Such an awful line lol.

Regardless I had fun. The baddie was turrible. But the League was good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #20
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where did the black superman suit go?

And in BvS, where batman was having the dream that the flash appeared in, he was told that lois lane was the key to everything.. So she ended up just being the key to fixing superman? Lots of disconnections in the movie.

I think the best part was showcasing WW abilities in the beginning, by stopping all of the bullets shot from the automatic rifle.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote