Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #201
Chealion
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Are those counts round trip or every time a bike trips a sensor?

The cycle track sensors seem to be believable for one way trips, the pathway sensors dont seem believable and are likely being tripped by pedestrians as well.

Does anyone have any counts as to the number of cars counted on any corresponding cycle track road way? Example, if 300 1-way bike trips on 6th street, how many 1-way car trips per lane at the same counter location?

The only way to truly measure whether the cycle track is an effective use of laneway is to determine how many trips it carries compared to the corresponding car lane average.

At what percentage difference in bike trips vs car at the same sensor point is considered a success. Is 10% bike trips vs car (300 bike vs 3000 car) a success? And then correlate that with data taken pre cycle track as I am sure drivers habits have changed on certain streets and funneled that traffic to other roads.

I dont think a random metric come up by someone working for the Cycletrack project is a correct way to measure its success or failure. Unless there is something that hasnt been shown at the cycle track open houses, the only success measures I have seen are what seem to be like random (maybe its not random and they just havent released the formula they used to get it) numbers assigned to each different cycle track. 300 daily riders here, 200 here, 600 here etc.
As Fuzz mentioned, counts are only part of the picture. The cycle track pilot is being evaluated on several variables of which only one of those is the actual usage. (They're looking to show items like; more seniors, females, children riding, significantly less sidewalk riding, acceptable or even better travel times in other travel lanes[1], number of collisions, and more) - you can see them at http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...s&itemid=34439 (including the explanation of the different riding expectations - which are multiples of the number of users seen in September 2014. The lower ones are also impacted by construction for the length of the pilot - eg. 12th Ave at 3rd St.)

The other reason to not focus solely on the counts is that it takes on average 3 years for a community to get used to a major change in transportation, while the pilot is only for 16 months to establish whether the pilot should be continued, made permanent, scrapped entirely, or some mix of all 3.

Otherwise counters are tripped every time a bike goes over the counter. Some of the graphs are a little confusing because by default the pedestrians and bike counts are merged. (There's a drop down to split the numbers into peds and bikes - I got frustrated by that and automated copying the data to https://calgary.bike )

As for counts, in the last presentation to council the 5th St. underpass saw that PM peak traffic (4-6 PM) 10% of the traffic was bikes (in September I believe). Which is actually a really healthy number, especially since it only just launched.

Back on topic, our favourite councillor's latest gaff calling things garbage was largely misreading one of reports and not understanding a footnote.

1 - The worst is 12th Ave. in that it's a 90 second delay if you were to drive from 11th St. SW all the way to 4th St. SE *only* during morning rush hour.
Chealion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chealion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #202
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The bike tracks have done nothing but cause friction between cyclists. drivers and pedestrians. I don't know how many times I've heard pedestrians yelling at bikers to "get on the bike track". They flip on and off like it's their god damn right to go from sidewalk to bike track and then cut across a red light to the next sidewalk/road.

What a cluster Fk. There used to be some decent parking along 8th but now there is nothing. Just the city owned parkade (convenient) a block up from 8th and they've also closed the parking lot/bike lane behind city tv so pedestrians and cyclists end up in a cluster Fk through the sidewalk.

But hey at least they seem to be clearing the snow on them faster then the road.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #203
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chealion View Post
As Fuzz mentioned, counts are only part of the picture. The cycle track pilot is being evaluated on several variables of which only one of those is the actual usage. (They're looking to show items like; more seniors, females, children riding, significantly less sidewalk riding, acceptable or even better travel times in other travel lanes[1], number of collisions, and more) - you can see them at http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...s&itemid=34439 (including the explanation of the different riding expectations - which are multiples of the number of users seen in September 2014. The lower ones are also impacted by construction for the length of the pilot - eg. 12th Ave at 3rd St.)

The other reason to not focus solely on the counts is that it takes on average 3 years for a community to get used to a major change in transportation, while the pilot is only for 16 months to establish whether the pilot should be continued, made permanent, scrapped entirely, or some mix of all 3.

Otherwise counters are tripped every time a bike goes over the counter. Some of the graphs are a little confusing because by default the pedestrians and bike counts are merged. (There's a drop down to split the numbers into peds and bikes - I got frustrated by that and automated copying the data to https://calgary.bike )

As for counts, in the last presentation to council the 5th St. underpass saw that PM peak traffic (4-6 PM) 10% of the traffic was bikes (in September I believe). Which is actually a really healthy number, especially since it only just launched.

Back on topic, our favourite councillor's latest gaff calling things garbage was largely misreading one of reports and not understanding a footnote.

1 - The worst is 12th Ave. in that it's a 90 second delay if you were to drive from 11th St. SW all the way to 4th St. SE *only* during morning rush hour.
So who do you work for in the city? This is your second post and both have been in this thread.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #204
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won't somebody please think of the parking?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #205
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
So who do you work for in the city? This is your second post and both have been in this thread.
Would it be an issue if he is? Damn City employees helping reduce confusion and misunderstanding...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #206
Chealion
Draft Pick

Quote:
Lurking is so much more drama free and I've unfortunately derailed this topic enough. For what it's worth I don't work for the City, but I'm easy enough to Google.
Chealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #207
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I find it unsurprising that people post within the realm of their expertise. Is it surprising to you?

Although that's somewhat of a rarity on the internet. As we've seen, suddenly everyone is an expert city planner that "knows" that the bike lanes are a terrible usage of money.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #208
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I find it unsurprising that people post within the realm of their expertise. Is it surprising to you?

Although that's somewhat of a rarity on the internet. As we've seen, suddenly everyone is an expert city planner that "knows" that the bike lanes are a terrible usage of money.
Well said.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #209
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Won't somebody please think of the parking?
Where will our children park?!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #210
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The bike tracks have done nothing but cause friction between cyclists. drivers and pedestrians.
They have?

Anecdotal, too, I have not see any friction amongst anyone on the bike tracks, so consequently there are no issues...but I am a non-biker, so I must be biased .
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #211
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

It would be so much easier if I could just hit a button to "boo" northcrunk's post instead of spending all my time thanking the several posts providing well thought out counter points.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #212
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know nothing northcrunk. Clearly Chealion works for an entity even more powerful that the city, one that is hellbent on social engineering us and our children in to biking everywhere. He is part of the all powerful Bike Lobby.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, we don't talk openly about Big Cycle. We operate in the shadows. Greasing wheels. Turning gears. Chaining...errr...chains...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #214
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I don't think I've ever read a post by northcrunk that's anything other than negativity towards the City.

You must really hate it here, how do you survive?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #215
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You know nothing northcrunk.
northcrunk = John Snow???

He hates bicycles, as they displace horse infrastructure.

It all makes sense.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #216
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I don't think I've ever read a post by northcrunk that's anything other than negativity towards the City.

You must really hate it here, how do you survive?
I was actually born here unlike many. I just don't treat politicians or political parties like a fan and can actually be critical. Not everything this city does is bad but there have just been a lot of them lately. I voted for Nenshi but he has slowly been creeping into just another politician and has become quite arrogant which is why I criticise him sometimes.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #217
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
northcrunk = John Snow???

He hates bicycles, as they displace horse infrastructure.

It all makes sense.
I don't hate bicycles but I do think the cycle track was poorly designed and implemented.

I do own a horse but it lives in the country. Who they hell rides a horse into the city?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #218
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dear Calgary homeowners, you don't own the parking spot in front of your house

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-of-your-house
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #219
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't hate bicycles but I do think the cycle track was poorly designed and implemented.

I do own a horse but it lives in the country. Who they hell rides a horse into the city?
Well no one anymore thanks to those damn youngin's and their "motor carriages."
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #220
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What would you have done differently?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote