Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #41
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I made a steak tonight, well at 2:30AM (which is night time to me).

It was delicious. I have another one waiting for me tomorrow. Awwww yeeeeaaaa.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #42
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Anyone have any luck making a "Chicago" style rib eye? Look for any recipes or tips to make a nice steak this way. Would prefer sticking with just my BBQ but if anyone has any experience with these please share how you made them and what kind of rub you used.

Thanks!
From my experience you need to do a Chicago blackened ribeye in a cast iron frying pan at a SMOKING hot temperature and finish in the oven to get it to where you want it. If you like the steak rare you can probably do away with the oven but it will be quite rare.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #43
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm, didn't realize this was a bump

Last edited by valo403; 04-02-2013 at 09:33 AM.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #44
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Anyone have any luck making a "Chicago" style rib eye? Look for any recipes or tips to make a nice steak this way. Would prefer sticking with just my BBQ but if anyone has any experience with these please share how you made them and what kind of rub you used.

Thanks!
I would say brush oil all over the steak and put it on the BBQ at a very high heat. To get the char on the outside you are going to need some flare up so the flames can burn the outside, I'm not sure how you could go about that without throwing some grease or fat to get the flare. Maybe you could skip the oil and put a knob of butter ontop of the steak and let it melt? The butter could drip down and cause the flare up you want.

I recommend the oil because I brush my steaks with oil and after a couple mins at a high heat I get beautiful grill marks.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Not a cooking steak question - but an ordering one: I'm going to Vintage on Thursday. An particular recommendations? Quite looking forward to this - never been there.
I had the Ribeye there and it was quite good.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #46
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I would say brush oil all over the steak and put it on the BBQ at a very high heat. To get the char on the outside you are going to need some flare up so the flames can burn the outside, I'm not sure how you could go about that without throwing some grease or fat to get the flare. Maybe you could skip the oil and put a knob of butter ontop of the steak and let it melt? The butter could drip down and cause the flare up you want.

I recommend the oil because I brush my steaks with oil and after a couple mins at a high heat I get beautiful grill marks.
Instead of using oil, brush the steak with melted butter.. the milk solids in butter char and burn easier, giving it a blackened tasty crust. This would give a similar effect of finishing off a steak in a cast iron pan in the oven.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #47
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a little windy today, I plan on using this method tonight, along with added butter like Chef Ramsay does.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #48
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll leave this here for all the beef lovers. Spoiler for size and all the luddites who still have 4:3 monitors.
Spoiler!
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have recently discovered the joys of Kosher salt. Never again will any type of sauce or seasoning go on my big hunk of man meat.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Disagree, never should you put a steak in an oven to cook.
Many professional restaurants, chefs, and even celebrity chefs encourage searing steaks in a pan and then finishing in the oven. It's definitely one way to do it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #51
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
I had the Ribeye there and it was quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Not a cooking steak question - but an ordering one: I'm going to Vintage on Thursday. An particular recommendations? Quite looking forward to this - never been there.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I was at Vintage on Friday.
The ribeye was great, especially the large size. The special of the night was a bone in veal chop. although smaller than the ribeyes, the flavour and tenderness was fantastic.

Definitely a good steak experience

Lchoy
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #52
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The $100 porterhouse up at Ruth's Chris in Edmonton is, quite easily, the best steak I've ever had. The one in Calgary isn't as good unfortunately.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #53
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i always thought the idea of butter on steak (is delicious but) is a twisted thought.

you take the milk that should be used to feed the cows babies, churn it until you get just the fattiest part of the milk, originally intended for a baby cow to grow.

then butcher the cow, then spread it on the butchered piece of meat you just took the butter from.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #54
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the circle of life.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #55
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
i always thought the idea of butter on steak (is delicious but) is a twisted thought.

you take the milk that should be used to feed the cows babies, churn it until you get just the fattiest part of the milk, originally intended for a baby cow to grow.

then butcher the cow, then spread it on the butchered piece of meat you just took the butter from.
Except dairy cattle isn't going to have good meat for steak, so maybe that will help you think it's less twisted.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #56
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

What's more twisted is you let the mama cow have her calf first. Then you have steak, veal, and butter with a glass of milk.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #57
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I made the horrible mistake of reading this thread just now after I decided to skip lunch...

Time to go grab some crappy fast food.

Bah...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #58
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

No different than putting cheese on a burger. The idea of a cheese burger isn't twisted, its frakin' delicious! Butter on a steak just as good.

And of course, there is always bacon wrapped butter on your steak...
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #59
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find pan frying to work especially well... My bbq is decent, but doesnt provide a sear like a hot cast iron pan.

Thick sliced beef tenderloin sprinkled in sea salt, pepper and garlic powder then seared off in a hot cast iron and tossed in the oven for a few mins for a perfect med rare. For the last couple mins in the oven, i usually toss a blob of finishing butter on top consisting of butter, red pepper flakes, garlic, lemon, worcestershire and parsley... Best steak ever.

Oh, and always let your steak rest AT LEAST 5 mins covered/tented in foil before slicing...

Last edited by Baxter Renegade; 04-09-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Its all in the details
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #60
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Probably one of the more delicious steaks I've made lately.

A 44-ounce bone-in Rib-eye, medium rare, Rosemary, garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, butter. Picture quality not so good.

were would one buy a 44-ounce steak in Calgary?
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote