Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #1061
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hard not to feel a bit sad today, but what a legacy that man has left us. The memory of Grace Too at the dome will be etched in my brain forever.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #1062
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Do you guys think that when people talk of Gord's love of Canada, that they sort of misunderstand the man a little bit? He might have loved parts of Canada or parts about being Canadian, but I don't really know how nationalistic Gord was. He took this country to task over a lot of things. A lot of the canadiana we celebrate about the Hip, relate to the bad parts of our history. I don't think Gord had an "unadulterated love of Canada". I actually wonder what he would have thought about people waving a Canadian flag at their concerts.
Its in an interesting question. The Hip were never really flagwavers but for some reason it seems like a lot of the fans wanted to make it about that. To me their music is Canadian like Bob Dylan's music is American. Just deep observations, references and storytelling that reflects where the artist comes from and has been. Downie wasn't trying to be Canadian he just was. That was part of his depth and authenticity that in my mind, puts him up there with the great songwriters.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #1063
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/in-...r-20-at-8-p-m/

Quote:
TORONTO (October 18, 2017)#– In celebration of the life of the unforgettable Gord Downie, CTV announced today it will now present the acclaimed film about The Tragically Hip,#LONG TIME RUNNING, in a special advance, commercial-free world television premiere event this#Friday, October 20#at#8 p.m. ET/PT. The 95-minute film was previously scheduled to debut in November.
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #1064
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

CTV is moving up the airing of Long Time Running to this Friday.

Quote:
In celebration of the life of the unforgettable Gord Downie, CTV announced today it will now present the acclaimed film about The Tragically Hip, LONG TIME RUNNING, in a special advance, commercial-free world television premiere event this Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. The 95-minute film was previously scheduled to debut in November.
https://www.ctv.ca/longtimerunning/A...Air-October-20
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #1065
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am grateful that I got to attend their last Calgary show last summer. I will never forget the feeling of being there that night with 19,000 people singing their hearts out. It was therapeutic.

I watched the final Kingston show on CBC from my couch, crying the whole time.

I'll never forget it. RIP Gord.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #1066
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was in university from 91-96, I moved to Ontario having never been east of Regina. Up To Here was already iconic, and the Hip were the soundtrack to some of the best years of my life. In those 5 years we got Road Apples, Fully Completely, Day for Night and Trouble at the Henhouse. I mean, c'mon - can you think of better music for every party, every pub might, every road trip, every all nighter?

We managed to get last minute tickets to the last show in Calgary, behind the stage but we didn't care. I was so happy to just be there one more time. Also went to see Long Time Running last month when it was in theatre, I'm sure I'll be a mess watching it again on Friday. But I urge folks to watch even if it is bittersweet, there are so many touching, funny, lovely moments and insights into how much the whole band loved each other.

RIP Gord.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 AM   #1067
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Canadian part of Gord wasn't a flag waving nationalist or espousing Canada. From the youth of a generation -- to new generations -- until today and even tomorrow. He became so much more to the country through his actions. From point on songs about landscapes, hockey and the sheer poetry of painting scenery through lyrics and music that we have all experienced, it wasn't an overnight thing. Slowly and surely he was woven into our lives, into the fabric of Canada by understanding and articulating so much of our experience.

The culmination was the commercial free broadcast of his final concert which was both glorious and heartbreaking, it was hard not to be sad because his body of work, his character spoke so loudly on Canadian culture. It hit me hard, that this man who was going to die protested by touring the country in defiance of his mortality and his personal illness. He decided to go out doing what he did for his love. Many examples left in his final year.

Just a sad day.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 AM   #1068
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No dress rehearsal, this is our life.

Sad day.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #1069
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a great piece from James Duthie
http://www.tsn.ca/duthie-gord-s-gift-1.889234
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #1070
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
No dress rehearsal, this is our life.

Sad day.
I always thought this lyric was deeply profound
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #1071
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Wow, this is hitting hard way more now today that I got to re-visit a few albums since the news broke. And I wasn't even the biggest fan.

Pure Canadiana and symbol of my youth in the Canadian '90s music scene. A little part of me died inside too.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #1072
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a bit emotional when I heard the news last night.

Like many here, I grew up listening to the Hip and their music, and going to their concerts.

I don't know how many times I saw them in Calgary, but I've also seen them in Camrose, in their hometown of Kingston (where I also once lived across the street from KCVI, the school where they met), and a couple times in London (the last time I saw them live was on Canada Day in Trafalgar Square).

I'll be wearing one of my several Hip t-shirts in Singapore tomorrow.

Thanks Gord.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #1073
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even Chuck D tweeted about Gord yesterday:

Chuck D‏Verified account @MrChuckD 15h15 hours ago

Rest in Music Gord Downie @thehipdotcom The Tragically Hip salutes
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #1074
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

173 The Verge on Sirius has been playing all Hip since yesterday.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #1075
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I want to thank everyone in this thread - I always had my favorites, but everyone posting lists, their go-to songs, I've been able to discover gems that I had previously overlooked. Now there's at least an extra half-hour of music for me to listen to when I play my favorite Hip playlist.

Yesterday, I put on Yer Favorites for my 2 year old (who exclusively wants to listen and dance to either The Wiggles or Abba). He instantly got the biggest smile on his face and started dancing around. It was amazing.
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #1076
WCan_Kid
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Right back to Smalltown Bringdown his music hit home. So many amazing moments in my life happened with the Hip playing in the background.
WCan_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #1077
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
173 The Verge on Sirius has been playing all Hip since yesterday.
Yeah Zed 98.9 in Red Deer (the CJAY of Central Alberta) played the hip all day.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #1078
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

And find somewhere to go
Go somewhere we're needed
Find somewhere to grow
Grow somewhere were needed.

#### we're lucky to have grown up with him you know? Every party, every road trip, headphones at the office - the Hip.

This was my Lennon, my Dylan, my Hendrix.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #1079
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The Canadian part of Gord wasn't a flag waving nationalist or espousing Canada. From the youth of a generation -- to new generations -- until today and even tomorrow. He became so much more to the country through his actions. From point on songs about landscapes, hockey and the sheer poetry of painting scenery through lyrics and music that we have all experienced, it wasn't an overnight thing. Slowly and surely he was woven into our lives, into the fabric of Canada by understanding and articulating so much of our experience.

The culmination was the commercial free broadcast of his final concert which was both glorious and heartbreaking, it was hard not to be sad because his body of work, his character spoke so loudly on Canadian culture. It hit me hard, that this man who was going to die protested by touring the country in defiance of his mortality and his personal illness. He decided to go out doing what he did for his love. Many examples left in his final year.

Just a sad day.
Well said.

RIP Gord Downie.

Death happens everyday ... but only a handful remind you of your mortality like this.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #1080
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

For those who didn't know, earlier this year, 30 bands descended upon George Stroumboulopoulos’ home to cover their favourite Tragically Hip songs. Here's a couple of covers that were performed.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: