Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2018, 12:52 AM   #61
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
would have been, although hot space is the one queen CD I can never listen to. it's mostly a big pile of crap.
I'd put on Hot Space before Flash Gordon.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
would have been, although hot space is the one queen CD I can never listen to. it's mostly a big pile of crap.
Not saying Hot Space is a good album at all but I in it's time I kind of liked Body Language.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #63
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...3jOjSJ11YiZMsM

Quote:
Put Rami Malek high on the list for best film performances of 2018. As Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of the British band Queen, the Mr. Robot star performs miracles, catching the look, strut and soul of Mercury, who died of complications from AIDS in 1991. Sadly, the film itself shows signs of a difficult birth. Sacha Baron Cohen was set to play Mercury before he left over creative differences. And director Bryan Singer (X-Men, The Usual Suspects) was fired for not showing up on set (an uncredited Dexter Fletcher replaced him).

The rousing life that Malek brings to this extraordinary recreation deserves all the cheers it gets. Screw the film’s flaws — you don’t want to miss his performance.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #64
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judge it for yourself, but the reviews sees to indicate that they kind of missed the mark on this one. Damn, this is one of those movies you just didn't want them to screw up.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #65
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/b...-rhapsody-2018

Quote:
The film's reluctance to deal with Mercury's sexuality is catastrophic because his sexuality is so connected to the art of Queen that the two cannot be separated out. Refusing to acknowledge queerness as an artistic force—indeed, to point at it and suggest that this is where Mercury went astray—is a deep disservice to Mercury, to Queen, to Queen fans, and to potential Queen fans. Genius doesn't emerge from a vacuum. Mercury was made up of all of the tensions and passions in his life: he loved Elvis, opera, music hall, costumes, Victorian England ... and, yes, sex. Lots of it. Sexual expression equals liberation, and you can feel the exhilaration of that in Mercury's once-in-a-generation voice. You cannot discuss Freddie Mercury without discussing the queer sensibility driving him, the queer context in which he operated. Or, you can try, as this film does, but you will fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #66
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the more that comes out about the narrative slant of this movie, the more the other band members are actually kind of sounding like pieces of ####.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #67
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I think Freddie himself would be the most upset about how they treated his legacy. He was never one to hide or tone down who he was. The other band members should be ashamed for trying to rewrite his story
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #68
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping Baron Cohen does an unauthorized version down the road. This will probably perform poorly at the box office now that it's basically confirmed as a Queen music video.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 11-01-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #69
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

knowing Cohen he'd ramp up the comedy of the situation by having the concert portions of the movie silent with a big "Audio Permission Not Granted" label in the middle of the screen.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #70
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
knowing Cohen he'd ramp up the comedy of the situation by having the concert portions of the movie silent with a big "Audio Permission Not Granted" label in the middle of the screen.
That movie would still be better than the Jimi Hendrix biopic starring Andre 3000 that had zero Jimi Hendrix music in it.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #71
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Just saw it, loved the movie! I thought there was enough sexuality in it, I'd you want more you can use your own imagination. The focus on Live Aid was really cool, and Malik knocked it out of the park.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #72
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

did anyone else notice U2 walking off the stage as Queen was going on? this movies cinematography was amazing
Old 11-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #73
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got home from the movie, it was enjoyable.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #74
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rugby View Post
did anyone else notice U2 walking off the stage as Queen was going on? this movies cinematography was amazing
Damn, no! And I was looking for snippets of U2 as well.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #75
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea I saw it on the weekend and didn't have high expectations after I quickly (and regrettably) checked reviews beforehand.

I thought it was fantastic - even just for the music in the AVX. Definitely recommend.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #76
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'Bohemian Rhapsody' Rocks the Box Office with $50 Million Debut

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4453&p=.htm

Quote:
At the top of the charts, Fox's Bohemian Rhapsody endured word of a troubled production as the film that was eight years in the making topped the domestic box office with a $50 million debut from 4,000 locations. On top of that, the film's "A" CinemaScore is a great sign looking ahead as there is little in the way of direct competition over the next month or so. The film played to an audience that was 51% female with 78% of the crowd coming in aged 25 years or older.

Internationally, after getting off to an early start in the UK last weekend, Bohemian Rhapsody expanded to 64 total overseas markets this weekend and delivered an estimated $72.5 million for a global cume topping $141 million. The UK leads the way with a gross that now totals over $26.5 million while other highlights include a $7.7 million debut in France followed by Mexico ($5.8m), Germany ($5.7m), South Korea ($5.7m). Australia ($5.4m), Spain ($4.8m) and the Netherlands ($1.6m). The film will add another 14 markets next weekend, including Japan.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #77
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ok, I finally saw the movie last night. I would rate it 7/10 (or 8/10 if you are a big Queen fan). The movie was really all about Freddie - he was in almost every scene, so it wasn't quite the Brian and Roger movie I was warned about. I don't think it glossed over his sexuality that much - it was quite central for a PG-13 film. His family was quite a contrast to the life he would have, and I'm sure that was accurate.

Rami Malek was outstanding of course - he really captured the essence of Freddie including his physicality on stage. Gwilym Lee also was very good capturing the look and demeanor of Brian May. The actor who played Bob Geldof had me convinced too. Roger sure wanted us to know that he got lots of women before he was married.

There were many historical innacuracies - many of the songs, costumes and stage designs were out of acutal sequence. Ex. in the movie they performed Fat Bottomed Girls on the first US tour, well before it was actually recorded on Jazz. Freddie and Mary never actually got married, and he lived with another woman in Munich for many years. Freddie was not HIV positive until 1987. Live Aid was 1985.

More explained here:
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/bo...ds-1202018135/

https://exclaim.ca/film/article/bohe...rs_about_queen

The Live Aid scene was great and very accurate in many small details. I cried a couple of times because I miss Freddie so much, and I lost a good friend to AIDS too. I liked the moment when a patient in the AIDS clinic recognized him.

I'd like to get a print of the final black and white image of Freddie on the stage at Wembley.

Last edited by troutman; 11-06-2018 at 01:42 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #78
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't know why people let reviewers affect their opinion before going in. This is one of those times where I think they got it wrong. I thought it was solid. Saw in IMAX, which was awesome for the Live Aid performance. Been thinking about how awesome it was on several occasions this week which is a good sign for any movie.

As for the performances............ Someone get Rami Malek his Oscar.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-06-2018 at 09:13 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #79
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Troutman, I saw it last night, and I agree with you for the most part, however I did think that they portrayed the rest of the band as Freddie's saviours really, and I did not like that, that they lived this clean upstanding life and all of Freddie's problems were due to his lifestyle.

All the music scenes gave me goosebumps, and I definitely teared up a few times, I miss Freddie so much too!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #80
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going tonight.
Hyping myself up by watching this classic!

I think it was one of the first HD vids on youtube.