Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #1041
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
I have been buying the LEGO advent calendars for the past several years and have enjoyed them but noticed this year the themed calendars are $60. At that price I'll probably pass - can get them cheaper at Costco but still it's almost a matter of principle for me now.
I totally agree. And can confirm that Costco seems to be the cheapest but even Costco prices are affected.

It was our family Covid lockdown hobby (the longer the build, the better!) but the kids are busy again and with the prices, I seriously wonder if it’s just a me hobby now in which case I’ll be spending less.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #1042
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I totally agree. And can confirm that Costco seems to be the cheapest but even Costco prices are affected.

It was our family Covid lockdown hobby (the longer the build, the better!) but the kids are busy again and with the prices, I seriously wonder if it’s just a me hobby now in which case I’ll be spending less.
Even at Costco, I noticed the Lego Advents are about $15 more than last year.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #1043
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Even at Costco, I noticed the Lego Advents are about $15 more than last year.
And that’s a big inflationary hit on a lower cost item.

I really enjoy the time spent with my family doing monstrous Lego kits but I hope that they don’t price themselves right out of the market.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #1044
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crossroads Market, booth 237 this morning. He has loads of new sets, including Avatar and Black Panther. As much as I hate to promote this guy cause he's basically just a plain old a-hole, I specifically look to see if he had calendars. They're $35

For an extra good time, casually ask him with feigned excitement, "wow, where do you get all this stuff?"

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 11-11-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2022, 12:14 PM   #1045
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Oh yeah, we've bought stuff from him in the past too. Just a cantankerous old b@st@rd. Good prices and selection on Lego though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:26 AM   #1046
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for lego VIPs. I see that the uk and USA lego VIPs can buy discounts on specific sets for 100 points. The discounts are between $70 and $100 on specific sets. It’s the only real deal that I’ve seen and a good use of points.

I can’t find this in Canada. All I found was 5x points in store on specific models.

Has anyone seen anything like buying discounts for points in Canada? It sucks to miss out because the discounts pull the prices back decently.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:43 PM   #1047
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Made that for the Books Come to Life event with our local library.

I have read that book to my older boys many times so I felt it was appropriate.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 11:29 PM   #1048
Texas
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post

Made that for the Books Come to Life event with our local library.

I have read that book to my older boys many times so I felt it was appropriate.
Epic !
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2023, 03:58 PM   #1049
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i could immediately 'feel it' as soon as i saw the pic....

lego firewalk by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 05-08-2023, 08:58 AM   #1050
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I didn't know this was coming, it's backordered already.

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/t...-ID-YA98ZQ0BBL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 02:44 AM   #1051
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I didn't know this was coming, it's backordered already.

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/t...-ID-YA98ZQ0BBL
I don't love the green panel, but the other three are great
Old 05-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #1052
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheap mother's day gift idea.

Take your kid to the Lego store and have them build a mini-fig of themselves and their mom.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 05:26 PM   #1053
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Has anyone ever sold to Brick Bin? Sadly my son and I haven't touched our Lego in years as he's grown out of it. It's just been sitting in a corner of the basement, so the time may have come to just get rid as we want to start downsizing things in the next few years. I pulled up our old Rebrickable account to get an inventory and it estimates that our collection is worth $25k+. I presume that's new in box though, but even if it's worth half that I can't imagine Brick Bin buying it for even close to that.

Anyone dealt with them? Assuming they lowball (they're a business after all) what kind of lowballing are we talking about? Some of our sets are still together, but the majority are just jumbled together in tote boxes. Do they care about that? Does that affect the price?

On the other hand, selling on Bricklink looks like it would yield better results, but involves a lot more work.

I'm not 100% sure I want to part with it at the moment, (the thought of getting rid of so many good memories makes me sad, both from my son's childhood, and some from my own) so I'm just doing some preliminary investigation at the moment.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:01 PM   #1054
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Cheap mother's day gift idea.

Take your kid to the Lego store and have them build a mini-fig of themselves and their mom.
I would LOVE if I got this for fathers day
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #1055
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Has anyone ever sold to Brick Bin? Sadly my son and I haven't touched our Lego in years as he's grown out of it. It's just been sitting in a corner of the basement, so the time may have come to just get rid as we want to start downsizing things in the next few years. I pulled up our old Rebrickable account to get an inventory and it estimates that our collection is worth $25k+. I presume that's new in box though, but even if it's worth half that I can't imagine Brick Bin buying it for even close to that.

Anyone dealt with them? Assuming they lowball (they're a business after all) what kind of lowballing are we talking about? Some of our sets are still together, but the majority are just jumbled together in tote boxes. Do they care about that? Does that affect the price?

On the other hand, selling on Bricklink looks like it would yield better results, but involves a lot more work.

I'm not 100% sure I want to part with it at the moment, (the thought of getting rid of so many good memories makes me sad, both from my son's childhood, and some from my own) so I'm just doing some preliminary investigation at the moment.
You need to know your values, Tony will of course low ball you. He's in it to make money.

On the one hand, it's easy unloading everything in one transaction. He does buy large collections in the $20k range. He has an email address, and I'm not sure what it is anymore but I'm sure you can find it on his social channels or a website if he has one.

I contemplated selling my lot to him a couple years <?> ago, and was prepared to go 20% below bricklink prices for the convenience. Then I decided to sell them individually on facebook or something, and then I did absolutely nothing with it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 08:09 AM   #1056
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Mints is right. And it sounds like you realize the predicament as well. To get more money you need to spend more time. If you don't want to deal with it at all, you can take what you can get. Depending on your collection, you may want to try and remake valuable sets. If you literally have $25k worth of lego jumbled in bins, well thats going to take some work. But if you have them sorted at least somewhat, then you have a fighting chance. (and what I mean by that is that for any single set, its at least all in one container and not spread across any number of them)

Bulk Lego goes from $5 to $10 bucks a pound down here, which is extraordinarily less than sets. Start with those sets that are pretty much together, and look them up on bricklink to see what the recent sale prices have been. That will give you a good idea on how much you value your time. Theme makes a big difference as well. I see big lots of Friends sets on facebook all the time and they are rather cheap. If you have good star wars sets that are older its quite the different story.

Or we can just figure out how much it costs to ship to Tulsa!
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #1057
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Yes, that's what I figured guys. Thanks for the replies.

Just had a quick perusal of Bricklink. The more valuable sets we have appear to be the LOTR and Maersk / Emerald Night train sets, which of course are all over the place so I think I'll have to put my son to work for a split of the profits.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:34 PM   #1058
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently building the Bugatti. Was wondering why the pistons weren't going when I moved the wheels and realised I had it in neutral instead of drive. Then learned the gear box is actually functional with 8 speeds. Mind blown.

Old 08-26-2023, 09:20 PM   #1059
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been planning to try a custom rebrickable LEGO set, and found three of the 3-in-1 Creator castles needed for this one for a great price during Prime Day. So with not as much frustration as I was expecting . . .

It has been sitting on this table for about a week cause I have no idea where I'm going to put it. It's way taller than I thought it would be.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2023, 08:49 AM   #1060
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Those 3-in-1 castle sets have some amazing rebrickable models. I've seen that one along with several others that are top notch. The set often goes on sale and so you can get 3 of them to make many of these builds for considerably less than you would pay for the Lions Knight Castle which is the only other current castle build out there.

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules