Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #301
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Charles Hamilton@_chamilton
BREAKING: The SJHL Playoffs will go ahead. The finals between the Nipawin Hawks and the Estevan Bruins will be played sometime after Friday. The vote from the GMs was unanimous, according to Hawk's president Darren Opp.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #302
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think I’d want to play if I was on the Nipawin team. Going to the finals in this way just doesn’t seem right to me.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #303
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think I’d want to play if I was on the Nipawin team. Going to the finals in this way just doesn’t seem right to me.
Oh come on. It's not going to be about getting a free pass in the series from a tragedy, it's going to be about playing for their fellow players in their honour.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #304
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
This happenned earlier this week:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/1...us-plunge.html

How should Canadians respond as compared to the Humboldt reaponse? Should be the same or different? Couldnt those families use donations more than Canadians that have decent health and social programs?
The think the overwhelming response comes more from the fact that this happened in our own backyard and that it hit home because so many families have experienced what it is like to send their child out on a bus for hockey. I don't think this has anything to do with race or gender.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #305
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh come on. It's not going to be about getting a free pass in the series from a tragedy, it's going to be about playing for their fellow players in their honour.
From a strictly hockey sense, they were up 3-1 in the series, they were pretty much going to the final anyways, barring a miracle comeback.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #306
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nipawin was 43-8 in the regular season and are 8 wins from a RBC berth.

Can't think of a better way to honor the tragedy by taking down the RBC.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #307
soma
Lifetime Suspension

I am a long time member but an infrequent poster.

I personally know/knew two of the players on the bus, one survived and one did not.

I want to bring attention to the tweet by Nora Loreto @NoLore claiming that the reason people care so much is because of "the maleness, the youthfulness and the whiteness of the victims"

This racist writes for Macleans and the Globe and mail in a freelance capacity, I have personally emailed those publications and encourage as many others as are willing to do the same.

I also tweeted to Don Cherry and Ron Mclean to try and get traction that way, but I am no Twitter expert so I don't really know if they will even see it.

http://torontosun.com/opinion/column...at-on-humboldt

I am disgusted by this woman, she is now playing the victim on twitter unsurprisingly, poor Nora

Last edited by soma; 04-11-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: forgot link
soma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to soma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #308
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Humboldt Broncos surviving assistant coach Chris Beaudry who was 20 minutes behind the bus was on the ice with Napawin Hawks helping running practice this afternoon.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #309
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
What do you mean "She's not wrong"?

Does race, age, and gender have a baring on what you should feel about a person who has gone through a tragedy?

Her post is very clear that if this happened to a senior citizen girls basketball team from Kenya that she would indeed feel much worse for the victims instead of feeling the same.
I think you’ve misinterpreted the tweet. Again, what she’s saying isn’t wrong, it’s a fact when observing the response to tragedy. If you want more clarification, PM me, but I don’t believe the detail that the tweet has caused deserves any more legs than it has.

It’s still insensitive and, overall, fairly useless and careless to bring up, but it’s equally useless and careless to share the tweet. Is this really where we want to put our attention? Shaming idiots instead of supporting this team? If you want to, go ahead, but I think it’s disrespectful. And her tweet being disrespectful is no excuse to be the same way.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #310
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Charles Hamilton@_chamilton
BREAKING: The SJHL Playoffs will go ahead. The finals between the Nipawin Hawks and the Estevan Bruins will be played sometime after Friday. The vote from the GMs was unanimous, according to Hawk's president Darren Opp.
I'm satisfied by this decision, but I could understand the other, too. I think it is what the Broncos want/would have wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma View Post

I personally know/knew two of the players on the bus, one survived and one did not.

I want to bring attention to the tweet by Nora Loreto @NoLore claiming that the reason people care so much is because of "the maleness, the youthfulness and the whiteness of the victims"

This racist writes for Macleans and the Globe and mail in a freelance capacity, I have personally emailed those publications and encourage as many others as are willing to do the same.

I also tweeted to Don Cherry and Ron Mclean to try and get traction that way, but I am no Twitter expert so I don't really know if they will even see it.

I am disgusted by this woman, she is now playing the victim on twitter unsurprisingly, poor Nora
She put the line out and reeled in the exact fish she wanted: attention, victimization, and controlling the conversation. Don't think for a second this wasn't all planned.

The threats are disgusting, but by throwing them out there these people are helping her accomplish precisely what she set out to do.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #311
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

She put the line out and reeled in the exact fish she wanted: attention, victimization, and controlling the conversation. Don't think for a second this wasn't all planned.

The threats are disgusting, but by throwing them out there these people are helping her accomplish precisely what she sent out to do.
Exactly this, agree or disagree with the tweet, sharing it around and giving it attention serves nobody, and it certainly doesn’t serve the dead and injured.

Let it die, and it’ll die. Give it attention, and it’ll continue to live.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #312
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Revolting. I wish liberals would stop going this direction. Extreme lefties are now as embarrassing as extreme right wing nuts.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #313
soma
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think you’ve misinterpreted the tweet. Again, what she’s saying isn’t wrong, it’s a fact when observing the response to tragedy. If you want more clarification, PM me, but I don’t believe the detail that the tweet has caused deserves any more legs than it has.

It’s still insensitive and, overall, fairly useless and careless to bring up, but it’s equally useless and careless to share the tweet. Is this really where we want to put our attention? Shaming idiots instead of supporting this team? If you want to, go ahead, but I think it’s disrespectful. And her tweet being disrespectful is no excuse to be the same way.
I would suggest she is wrong not all of the victims are male, nor young, nor white. pretty much the definition of wrong!

And that is if you disregard the fact that it is morally wrong to further your ideological bias on the back of a tragedy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to soma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #314
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #315
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I really, really hoped this thread wouldn't go any other way than to talk about the players and anything good that comes from this. I wish it wouldn't go the way it's now starting to but I guess that's the internet now a days. Ideology! Debate! Pick a side! Politics! Anger! My opinion!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #316
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would suggest she is wrong not all of the victims are male, nor young, nor white. pretty much the definition of wrong!

And that is if you disregard the fact that it is morally wrong to further your ideological bias on the back of a tragedy.
A number of these young men had indigenous backgrounds, and that there is a female trainer also in hospital. She's a garbage human being. Last thing I'll say about the piece of ####.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #317
soma
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Exactly this, agree or disagree with the tweet, sharing it around and giving it attention serves nobody, and it certainly doesn’t serve the dead and injured.

Let it die, and it’ll die. Give it attention, and it’ll continue to live.
I dont think buring your head in the sand is the correct approach to a racist and a sexist but up to you.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #318
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont think buring your head in the sand is the correct approach to a racist and a sexist but up to you.
I understand you're upset (and justifiably so), but this is actually the exact approach you should take with someone spouting this kind of empty nonsense. Especially when the platform is something like Twitter.

Anything else is giving her what she wants.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #319
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

It's a senseless tragedy. I'm not sure manufacturing a villain is going to help in the healing process.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #320
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I really, really hoped this thread wouldn't go any other way than to talk about the players and anything good that comes from this. I wish it wouldn't go the way it's now starting to but I guess that's the internet now a days. Ideology! Debate! Pick a side! Politics! Anger! My opinion!!
It’ll get back on track, people are upset, justifiably so, and sometimes that emotion gets directed as anger to the first thing that comes along.

What we could be talking about instead of a dumb tweet, is supporting a local boy.

https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryher...aschnitzki/amp

Straz Strong is a local movement trying to raise money for the recovery of Ryan Straschnitzki, who was paralysed in the crash.

There are some details in the article, but I think it’d be great for people to support him any way possible. He’s a warrior.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: