Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #181
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm just glad more people will get to see Phillips now.

He rocks. Y'all are gonna love him.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 08:29 PM   #182
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Calgary Heat sounds pretty good and fits the brand. No need to re-invent the wheel here.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 08:35 PM   #183
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Campfires

Can use the flaming C.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #184
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think the funniest and therefore best option is obvious...

The Calgary Heatmen.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:48 PM   #185
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Put the team in Airdrie and name them the Airfyers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 09:06 PM   #186
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Resurrecting the Cowboys or Wranglers would be cool, but I would be surprised if they move far away from the "Flame" theme.

Maybe the Calgary Fire?

I still don't think that an AHL team works long term though. Likely just a landing spot until a more suitable and semi-permanent location comes up. Though that could take a few years as well unless there is a Canadian division or NW type division...something along those lines. Travel costs have to be the major consideration.
I'm sure travel costs matter, but in a holistic view of their total expenses I doubt it will be a huge differential. Accoms are probably a bigger line item than bus travel for most teams...flying costs will probably be similar to accom costs, maybe even slightly less depending on scheduling and number of flights required.

The Abbotsford Heat spent their first 2 years in a division with 6 teams from Manitoba and the Great Lakes.

Then they spent a year with OKC, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston...then back to 4 Great Lakes teams, then back to OKC+2 Texas teams+Charlotte for their final year.

I'm sure CSEC didn't enjoy those costs, especially drawing under 4k a night, but they didn't pull the plug after a year or two like most of their other stops since St John (though I'm not sure about specific ownership details). I'd guess that AHL execs were working towards the California/Pacific division for a while and Abbotsford was part of that plan, but it took a few years longer to actually materialize.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:11 PM   #187
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

It’s likely the only way anyone would have seen him play in Calgary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:40 PM   #188
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is odd timing. It'll be cool to see the prospect though.

When's the ECHL affiliate moving up?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Mavericks
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:56 PM   #189
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just call them the Alberta Heat and use the Flaming A logo. They could even mirror it for further distinction.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #190
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I would keep the Flaming A for the parent club, especially given it'll be the 50th Anniversary.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:49 PM   #191
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think the funniest and therefore best option is obvious...

The Calgary Heatmen.
Teddy KGB thinks this is all very confusing because according to him we already have a team called the heatmen.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:58 PM   #192
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

this is so cool! build a nice new rink in canmore and lets head to the mountains for hockey!
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:17 PM   #193
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'm sure travel costs matter, but in a holistic view of their total expenses I doubt it will be a huge differential. Accoms are probably a bigger line item than bus travel for most teams...flying costs will probably be similar to accom costs, maybe even slightly less depending on scheduling and number of flights required.

The Abbotsford Heat spent their first 2 years in a division with 6 teams from Manitoba and the Great Lakes.

Then they spent a year with OKC, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston...then back to 4 Great Lakes teams, then back to OKC+2 Texas teams+Charlotte for their final year.

I'm sure CSEC didn't enjoy those costs, especially drawing under 4k a night, but they didn't pull the plug after a year or two like most of their other stops since St John (though I'm not sure about specific ownership details). I'd guess that AHL execs were working towards the California/Pacific division for a while and Abbotsford was part of that plan, but it took a few years longer to actually materialize.
Well, don't the Flames also have to subsidize other AHL teams flying here now? So economics are out the window, they pay more for travel costs for them and others, maybe make a bit more money and some less expenses than Stockton by hosting on home rink and synergy with the CSEC, but they aren't coming out ahead.

But I agree with T99, and as I said earlier, imo this is a shorter term solution until a more viable long term solution presents itself or can be developed.

And really, each time this team has moved going back to Quad Cities days there's always been discussion on bringing them to Calgary, and the CSEC never has.
I don't think anything has changed to make it more viable here now, outside of just not having a solid option anywhere else next year and in combination with not forcing itself into another situation like Stockton that isn't ideal but then be stuck with it.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:28 PM   #194
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone might know more about the AHL's finances, but I doubt they will need to compensate teams to travel. When the Heat were in Abbotsford, they needed to compensate teams for travel, but that was when the Heat were the only team in the league west of Winnipeg.

Now, a third of the league is in the west, so the travel isn't a huge inconvenience anymore.

I think people are looking at this wrong. The team doesn't need to come out ahead. It doesn't need to be profitable. Even if they lose a few million each year, that's a drop in the bucket for the overall operating costs of the Flames, and if they lose money on the Heat, but it makes the Flames better on the ice, it's worth it.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:46 PM   #195
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

I think people are looking at this wrong. The team doesn't need to come out ahead. It doesn't need to be profitable. Even if they lose a few million each year, that's a drop in the bucket for the overall operating costs of the Flames, and if they lose money on the Heat, but it makes the Flames better on the ice, it's worth it.
Not sure a few million $ loss is "worth it" but that's not really relevant to this.

Again, the Flames have had several opportunities in the last 20 years to have their AHL team move to the Dome and have decided on the whole, against it. If it was a no brainer for whatever metrics the Flames evaluate the success of their minor system and how it feeds the main team, they could've made it happen long ago...but didn't.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:47 AM   #196
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
The AHL is really poor hockey.
2nd or 3rd best hockey league in the world...nice take
Old 05-24-2022, 01:53 AM   #197
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring back the Broncos name from the WHA team that never was, then they can use Blasty as a logo
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:22 AM   #198
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Are they going to keep him? I'd make the flight over
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #199
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
Are they going to keep him? I'd make the flight over
He's 24, so it wouldn't be a shock to see Calgary part ways with him. It seems clear he's not in the Flames' long term plans.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #200
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Spoiler!
Ya, fair enough. I think my main point is that Calgary isn't a good spot for them. There are better markets in the area looking for good hockey. Calgary already has trouble filling the Dome when the Flames aren't red hot. You think people will be clamouring to also attend a prospects game during those down times?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good