Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #3641
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Very sad to see.

Maybe it's only because I'm more familiar with the Sarcee / Hwy 8 section, but I found myself down in the 22X area and found it to be a complete cluster-f compared to what I'm used to... lack of signage, clear markers or even a hint of where the road might actually be (/going)... Very confusing and, sadly, not all that surprising that something happened.
It is quite confusing if you are not familiar with it. I drove down there for the first time in August and was going eastbound from MacLeod to Deerfoot. I was in the left lane from MacLeod following a car in front of me. The car pulled into the middle lane and all of sudden the left lane became a U-turn lane to go westbound on 22x. There was a car behind me so I couldn't just come to a sudden stop to try to merge right so I had to detour all the way through Sundance to get back to 22x east. Maybe I missed the signs but there was no indication that the left lane was going to do a U-turn.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #3642
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

KGL's handling of traffic has been pretty bad this entire project. This is just tragic.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #3643
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
It sucks because the ring road is not open yet to 22X. Prior to this closure, you could use 37 St as a way to get to Anderson Rd from 22X. As of Oct 1, 2021 it won't matter. So to clarify, it sucks only for the next 12 months.

To be honest... this will not get better.

WTF! So now they’ve closed the old east bound 22x from the city limits diverting onto the current west bound lanes (single lane east and west) with pylons blocking the option to turn onto 53st detour with 37th closed. Might as well put up a sign saying “if you live west of the city and need to get downtown, go fk yourself”.

Why would they close the old eastbound lanes when they aren’t ready to shift onto the new lanes? And why close 37th, state 53es is a detour but block that as well?
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #3644
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It is quite confusing if you are not familiar with it. I drove down there for the first time in August and was going eastbound from MacLeod to Deerfoot. I was in the left lane from MacLeod following a car in front of me. The car pulled into the middle lane and all of sudden the left lane became a U-turn lane to go westbound on 22x. There was a car behind me so I couldn't just come to a sudden stop to try to merge right so I had to detour all the way through Sundance to get back to 22x east. Maybe I missed the signs but there was no indication that the left lane was going to do a U-turn.
Ha - I actually had to (intentionally) use that strange, way-past-MacLeod u-turn yesterday... Again, very poorly signed and marked, but nowhere near as bad as further west around Sheriff King & James McKevitt...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #3645
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe not a factor, but there's massive speeding happening on 22X in the 60 zones with seemingly zero response from CPS. It's sad to see.
I drove the Glenmore/Sarcee/Stoney construction zone from day one. I'll admit I usually drove about 65 but it was a steady stream of traffic passing me not even pretending to slow down from 80-90. And never saw CPS/photo radar there once. The TCH/Stoney construction on the other hand - CPS may as well set up living quarters there as speed enforcement seems to be a 24/7 operation .
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #3646
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Why would they close the old eastbound lanes when they aren’t ready to shift onto the new lanes? And why close 37th, state 53es is a detour but block that as well?
Not sure. I was unaware that 53rd is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Ha - I actually had to (intentionally) use that strange, way-past-MacLeod u-turn yesterday... Again, very poorly signed and marked, but nowhere near as bad as further west around Sheriff King & James McKevitt...
And the NB Macleod U-turn has been like that for ages with no upgrades in signage. Atrocious. Before the end of the year, all ramps at Macleod/22X will be open and both eastbound and westbound traffic will be shifted onto the new eastbound bridge with crossover east and west of 22X, and will remain so through summer next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I drove the Glenmore/Sarcee/Stoney construction zone from day one. I'll admit I usually drove about 65 but it was a steady stream of traffic passing me not even pretending to slow down from 80-90. And never saw CPS/photo radar there once. The TCH/Stoney construction on the other hand - CPS may as well set up living quarters there as speed enforcement seems to be a 24/7 operation .
It's very strange thing indeed. My assumption would be that the west ring builders have been complaining more to CPS about speeders which is reflected in the level of enforcement.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #3647
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed, KGL has done a bad job about signage and road closures/changes.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #3648
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove through the NB Macleod construction today and what a mess that is. Its back to being a split road, but the signage is terrible to tell you what side of the road does what - do I have to stay left to go north? does going right mean i'm exiting Macleod?

I felt lucky and stayed right hoping I could continue all the way north, which thankfully it did. But the lanes on the new east side of the road kind of went from one side to the other and I think Stevie Wonder was in charge of paving that side, wow there better be a few more top coats and leveling to match up to the previous surfaces.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #3649
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure. I was unaware that 53rd is closed.
They have pilons blocking the option to turn since it would cause huge back ups with single lane east/west traffic if someone has to wait for an opening to turn. Hoping it’s just a quick thing since I need to get my trailer back to the storage lot on 53rd.

Do you know why they’re shutting down the old East bound road at this point?
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #3650
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Do you know why they’re shutting down the old East bound road at this point?
No idea. I'd have to see it to try to make sense of it but they are advertising it as a detour so maybe temporary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #3651
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
This was you wasn't it?

Just gotta say, holy S%#t! Then the guy just drives away like nothing happened...
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #3652
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Just gotta say, holy S%#t! Then the guy just drives away like nothing happened...

China...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #3653
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Slightly off topic but I have personally found some of the signage for the road construction on this project to be lacking at times... RIP

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/2-dead-in...tion-1.5114448
Damn... I drove this exact stretch on Sunday evening, noted how unsafe it was and the way vehicles who were going towards Bragg Creek were stopping and trying to get to the Stoney Trail side of the road. I also went the Bragg Creek direction by mistake but took the 37th Street exit from 22X. I had it mind to call 311 and have them forward the complaint to KGL but for whatever reason it escaped my mind. Don't know if it would have made a difference, but wish I had made the call.

Just a few months ago, the way KGL had setup traffic on Anderson near the Tsuu Tina gas station, cars were getting confused on direction and there were multiple cars headed towards me going the wrong way. Nothing happened thankfully and I put in a call to 311 who forwarded the complaint to Ring Road team and it was fixed pretty quickly.

The whole time during construction in this area, signage and traffic setups by KGL have been a complete disaster. Someone from AI/AT must be reviewing and approving these, but just a total lack of oversight and thinking through scenarios.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #3654
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post

The whole time during construction in this area, signage and traffic setups by KGL have been a complete disaster. Someone from AI/AT must be reviewing and approving these, but just a total lack of oversight and thinking through scenarios.
You get what you pay for. The penalties for not making the in service date is crazy high.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:11 AM   #3655
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone from Alberta Transportation maybe gets the map that we see above, and some synopsis about how they plan to implement the detours. But it all goes out the window when there's no lighting, the lines are still on the road from 5 detours ago and no new ones are painted, the cones are too far apart and all run over, and the digital signs are illegible in the bright sun.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #3656
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not loving the 37st closure. The detour to take 53rd is notably longer, and James McKevitt is even worse. Are we stuck with this until a year from now when the whole “corner” is open?

And I’m just failing to understand the lights at 53rd. I would like to say it’s surprising, but I remember the lights in Deerfoot, so I really shouldn’t be.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #3657
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone confirm if it's Oct 1 or Oct 31 that the section from 69th st SW to 130th st SWneeds to be open?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #3658
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's October 1.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #3659
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

They don't need to be open until 2022, but KGL said they would be done Glenmore to 146 Ave by October 1, this coming Thursday. Anderson to 146th is already open.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:54 PM   #3660
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The map in this post remains accurate, as of now.

Quote:
Map. Spoiler for size.

Spoiler!