Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #21
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Hey all.

So, the wifey and I want to expand our family by getting a puppy. Well, more me than her, but she is on board.

I've thought about rescues, but due to my physical and mental health, I know I need to find the right breed of dog that fits with a fairly sedentary lifestyle and makes a great companion animal. So that makes finding the right fit via rescue quite difficult, my sister has a little boy as well that will end up playing with teh dog, so the idea of one with potential behavioral issues or triggers does scare me a little.

After doing research, I feel a Pug is a good fit for me, but due to their health problems, I have decided a Pug cross would be the better idea. Perhaps a Bugg (Boston Terrier/Pug cross).

Do anyone know of any reputable breeders in the Calgary or Lethbridge areas? I would also be willing to go to Edmonton, Cranbrook and Medicine Hat if I need to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe check out the Basset Hounds as well if you haven't looked into them. They might suit you but unfortunately they do have some health issues.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #22
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Do you have friends you could dog-sit for a week to understand the impact on your daily life?

A friend of mine recently got a puppy, and about 3 days in she got the equivalent of post-partum depression (puppy blues)
I've actually had dogs most of my life, just haven't been able to since we put our last dog down as we rent and moved to a place that doesn't allow pets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Sorry, couldn’t resist...
You stole my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Good thread idea.

I've been thinking about getting a Golden Retriever. Any thoughts? Obviously a good breeder is important.

Has to be good around kids and lots of neighbors.

Thoughts on what to look for?
Not a golden retriever, but my sister has a beautiful black lab and my understanding temperament is similar. He is wonderful with children, my little nephews have done so many things and he just takes it until he's annoyed and walks away. But once you start playing with him, it's impossible to get him to stop. As much as I love lab breeds, I know they are not for me lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Just to reiterate what a few others have said, check out the local shelters and rescues first. Most of the dogs will be mixed breeds which come with fewer health issues. Yes, there is a greater chance of behavior issues because that's probably what landed them in the shelter to begin with. But there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners and with proper training any dog can be a good boy/girl.

I'd say when choosing a dog make sure you really pay attention to the dogs energy level and don't just fall for looks. The worst thing you can do is to get a high energy dog and put it in a lifestyle where it won't get enough exercise. It will find a way to release their energy, which is often destructive. Conversely, if you have a very active lifestyle but the dog is too low energy, it will probably lead to frustration on your part, which a dog can sense.

Puppies are cute and a blank slate but they are a lot of work. If you've never had a puppy before it can be a difficult experience depending on the breed and personality. If you are going to get a puppy from a breeder do a lot of research for the type of breed that fits your lifestyle. There are a lot of resources online about how to choose a dog. Even then not all puppies from the same litter will have the same personality traits so if possible try to watch interact for a while before picking one and try not to just fall for the most charismatic or cute puppy. The most playful puppy in a litter is sometimes also the most dominant and may have a natural tendency to want to be the Alpha in your family, if you let it. And of course, make sure you do research on the breeder and invest in a good trainer.

I've had dogs throughout my entire life. The best dog I've ever had is the one I have now (or more to the point, I'm a better dog owner now) partly because her energy level fits my lifestyle. She is a Lab/Rottweiler/Newfy/Pitbull/Boxer/Minature Poodle/African Mystery Breed cross (we had her DNA tested) and has brought nothing but joy to my life, which I've never been able to say about a dog before. Unfortunately, there are a lot of great dogs that are put down every year while at the same time some not-so-reputable breeders continue to churn out vanity pets with chronic health issues for people to use dogs as fashion accessories.
Great post.

I've been looking at the shelter here in town (live in Lethbridge) and several rescue organizations, but at least in this area the available dogs are all very high energy or are aggressive towards children/men because some useless prick hurt them. You are 100% right about there not being bad dogs, but bad owners can cause trauma that sticks with those poor guys for life.

I have definitely considered my lifestyle as I can't even consider so many of my favorite breeds due to their energy levels. Then again, I have never met a dog I didn't fall in love with immediately.

I too have had dogs most of my life, all but one were dogs we saved from bad homes, the other was from the litter of our next door neighbor, who we raised from a puppy. They all lived long healthy lives.... except Spike, I left the gate open when I was 8 or 9 and he he ran out when my dad started using a power tool, he was hit by a car and to this day I never leave a gate unlatched

I've actually just opened up to the breeder idea and that is why I posted because I've been having no luck through shelters and rescue organizations and would like to add to our family before Spring.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
You can accidentally "steal" my dog. He is great.
I might need an address
Old 09-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #24
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I might need an address
PM me. I will leave him in the yard and you can come and take him (he is very friendly). I will tell the wife and kids he ran away. Then, after he fails to be found, I will give you all the paraphernalia.
I keed? Or is it a dream?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #25
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We put a deposit down on a puppy. We are picking him up in Alberta in 3 weeks. He’s ridiculously expensive but my family fell in love with him. I pray he is a good boy. I want to be buddies with him but all I see is dollar signs when I look at his photos right now lol. Hopefully he’ll win me over quickly. Looking forward to meeting him.

He’s a Cavapoo by the way.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #26
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm friends with a golden breeder/trainer in Okotoks. She puts a great deal of work in to genetic testing before she breeds. I would make sure both parents are vet checked and cleared to breed as my number one requirement. She has way more people wanting to buy than she ever will have puppies. It's hard to get a puppy anywhere right now.

Goldens are very easy to be around but I'm always amazed at how much exercise they can handle. They are amazing athletes and can go all day. We do 6 hour hikes in the mountains, sleep for an hour on the way home and then he is ready to go again. Your golden will accommodate your lifestyle and doesn't need all day every day activity. But on the other hand a half hour leash walk twice a day isn't going to cut it.

They are hunters and will go after anything that moves...squirrels are number one. Birds for sure. But also deer, cows, bears et al. If you go on any sort of adventures you will have to keep him or her safe. But if you can channel that into something constructive you will have a very happy dog.

Males are much more affectionate and cuddly. They also stay much closer to you when off leash. The girls are gone and have a mind of their own. They can be difficult to recall. They also like a little more of their own space and are not as sucky as the males.

They are so smart too. And they speak a language all their own. If you can figure it out it's an amazing bond you will have. They're beautiful. I love all dogs and have been around several breeds. And I realize people are biased towards their particular breed. But goldens are very special.
Not just Golden's

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just make sure this isn't a covid impulse.

Quite a commitment and responsibility that extends beyond when things go back to normal.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Quite a commitment and responsibility that extends beyond when things go back to normal.
Especially true of some breeds that are high need. Our dog is more work than my kids.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #29
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone getting a small breed puppy, remember they need training too.
Don't be that owner who makes no effort because you think its too small to do any damage.

Aside from that, socialize your puppy a lot and be patient. The early days can really suck and lead to buyer's remorse.
It gets better, enjoy.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #30
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got my puppy back in April after I lost my hairless cat Jinx to old age. She is an American Hairless Terrier and just turned 9 months old, her name is Mimi. She is very smart and was easy to train however hairless dogs take some work. Sun screen in the summer and lots of clothes for when it gets cold. Getting a puppy can be an amazing decision but it demands a lot of time and attention.

dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #31
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

It's definitely not a Covid thing. We put our last dog down in 2012, we decided to wait a couple years before getting a new dog because we didn't want him to be a "replacement", however we then moved into a house that doesn't allow pets. For the last 5 years I've been trying to talk wifey into moving so we could have a dog again, but she has been hesitant because she doesn't want to deal with the eventual heartbreak that comes with having a dog.

Also, covid really hasn't had a drastic impact on my life, I was hurt at work a while before covid came along and due to PTSD and chronic pain from the injury, I am long term disability and may never return to work. So, unfortunately me being home is the new normal for me for our foreseeable future. My wife agreed to move after my doctor told us that a companion animal would be very helpful to my mental health.

I miss having a furry best friend and I think my sister is worried I might kidnap her dog
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #32
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's definitely not a Covid thing. We put our last dog down in 2012, we decided to wait a couple years before getting a new dog because we didn't want him to be a "replacement", however we then moved into a house that doesn't allow pets. For the last 5 years I've been trying to talk wifey into moving so we could have a dog again, but she has been hesitant because she doesn't want to deal with the eventual heartbreak that comes with having a dog.

Also, covid really hasn't had a drastic impact on my life, I was hurt at work a while before covid came along and due to PTSD and chronic pain from the injury, I am long term disability and may never return to work. So, unfortunately me being home is the new normal for me for our foreseeable future. My wife agreed to move after my doctor told us that a companion animal would be very helpful to my mental health.

I miss having a furry best friend and I think my sister is worried I might kidnap her dog
Being at home all the time definitely will help. I hope you find your new furry friend and keep us updated.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #33
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Being at home all the time definitely will help. I hope you find your new furry friend and keep us updated.
I may even ask for help with names. I'm torn between Flames related names, Jays related names or TV show related names haha. Assuming I don't find a rescue before I find a reputable breeder.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #34
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I wanted to name ours, Sensei Johnny Lawrence but I was voted down.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #35
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck!

Sounds like you already know what you are doing looking for a breed that fits your lifestyle. Don’t be like my 70 year old in laws who just got a Weimaraner puppy
Old 09-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #36
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I wanted to name ours, Sensei Johnny Lawrence but I was voted down.
I really love Sherlock Holmes, so I have bene contemplating Moriarty if I get a boy.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #37
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered an Australian Shepard ?

If you want to cutest , smartest , sweetest Tasmanian Devil you can find get one

Oh you said a Puppy ? Never mind , don’t get an Australian Shepard
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #38
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I love...

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #39
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Have you considered an Australian Shepard ?

If you want to cutest , smartest , sweetest Tasmanian Devil you can find get one

Oh you said a Puppy ? Never mind , don’t get an Australian Shepard
I just looked them up and my god they are beautiful animals, but unfortunately their temperament would not fit my lifestyle as they sound to be way too high energy.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #40
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I got my puppy back in April after I lost my hairless cat Jinx to old age. She is an American Hairless Terrier and just turned 9 months old, her name is Mimi. She is very smart and was easy to train however hairless dogs take some work. Sun screen in the summer and lots of clothes for when it gets cold. Getting a puppy can be an amazing decision but it demands a lot of time and attention.

SHe is beautiful.

If more people want to post pictures of their dogs, I will happily live vicariously through you all until I find my suitable dog.