Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #2201
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lololololololol
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #2202
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #2203
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Has anyone picked up Fire & Blood: 300 Years Before A Game of Thrones (A Targaryen History)? Is Martin just trolling his fans at this point? He's good for 736 pages of a prequel to a series he hasn't finished.

Sounds to essentially be a history book for his word. Not a true prequel but just a chronological telling of the events before Game of Thrones.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #2204
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I picked it up on Audible and I'm starting to make my way through it. So far it's good if you're interested in the history of the entire Seven Kingdoms.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #2205
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its done. Its over.

Quote:
“Game of Thrones” star Kit Harington has a new look… and it’s nothing like Jon Snow’s.

Harington chopped his long, wavy locks and shaved off his beard to appear in Sam Shepard’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play, “True West,” at London’s Vaudeville Theatre Dec. 4 through Feb. 16.
https://www.thewrap.com/kit-haringto...winter-coming/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #2206
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its done. Its over.
Not fair to put in the book thread dude. Read it as the The Winds of Winter being done at first.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #2207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Not fair to put in the book thread dude. Read it as the The Winds of Winter being done at first.
Balls. Sorry about that. Early in the morning.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #2208
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

George RR Martin is releasing a new book!

Winds? Lol just kidding. It’s another Targaryen book. And it’s basically a condensed, illustrated version of Fire & Blood.

Quote:
We’re so excited to announce The Rise of The Dragon, a lavish visual history of House Targaryen – the iconic family at the heart of HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel series, House of the Dragon – featuring over 180 all-new illustrations!

Oh yeah and he will get around to Winds when he feels like it, so stop asking!

Quote:
I know, I know, for many of you out there, only one of those projects matters.

I am sorry for you. They ALL matter to me.

Yes, of course I am still working on THE WINDS OF WINTER. I have stated that a hundred times in a hundred venues, having to restate it endlessly is just wearisome. I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but “less” is not “none.”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #2209
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will have been so long since the TV series ended when he finishes the book series that they'll be able to re-adapt it to TV then without it being weird.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:55 PM   #2210
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

For his own sake and for closure with the fans, he should just stop working on the Winds of Winter. He’s said himself that trying to finish the series is like a King Kong sized gorilla on his back. So why endure that? Will anybody honestly be more disappointed than they are now if he just pulls the chute?
Old 03-21-2022, 07:58 PM   #2211
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just release a book that says "The zombies ate everyone and lived happily ever after the end."
Old 03-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #2212
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol! GRRM.

"Less" is not "None."

Yes it is George. Yes. It. Is.

There should be an award for 'Longest Time to Write a Book.'

There are authors who are actually dead whose series were finished in a more timely manner.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #2213
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

A this point I’m more interested in the saga of his inability to finish that I am in the story itself.

Obviously the simplest explanation makes sense, he’s got ADD, wrote himself into a corner and now has ideas for anything and everything else except the main books.

But I prefer the deeper theories, just like I do for the books (Jojen paste! Ser Pounce is Azor Azhai! Etc).

Has he finished and locked it in a vault only to be released after he’s dead because he knows that there is now so much hype (and hate) that it is guaranteed to disappoint?

Maybe he’s abandoned the books completely because the show ruined his ending and just generally ruined everything. He’s just stringing fans along as a giant #### you.

He turned in a draft and the publisher said “#### this ####” and made him go back and start again.

Maybe he’s given up but keeps faking it because if he admits he’s quitting his publisher will want that advance back.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-21-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:28 PM   #2214
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show was his ending

People didn’t like it.

Now he is sad
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:33 PM   #2215
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The show was his ending

People didn’t like it.

Now he is sad
I find it intriguing that you think he cares at all about 'People.'

Old 03-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #2216
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The show was his ending

People didn’t like it.

Now he is sad
It probably was his ending. But the way the show-runners got to it - with tremendous haste, wild improbability, and an utter disregard for character and motivation - was the worst possible route to that ending. On the other hand, Martin’s route to the finish is an unknown because he hasn’t written (or even plotted) it yet.

But Martin stalled long before the series wrapped up. He never managed to regain control of the story after struggling for two years with the Meereneese Knot after the pointless digressions of Feast for Crows. So it’s been 17 years since he had any kind of clear direction or forward motion for the story.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #2217
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was an event earlier this year where this buffoon compared himself to Tolkein, lamenting that he didn't have a Christopher to carry on his legacy.

What a total dolt. Not only will he never sniff Tolkein's jock from a writing and lore perspective, but he has already tarnished his own legacy so badly that it probably wouldn't matter if he left his thoughts with someone to complete post death. And that is a laughably simplified view on the relationship between Christopher Tolkein and his FATHER, who once said Christopher was his "first editor" with the Hobbit literally being written in letters to his son.

I digress. George has lost a lot of respect from me over the last 5 years. His whining about people wanting him to finish what got us all hooked is absolutely insulting. I loved these books, hated the #### out of the last few seasons of this show, and would still probably read the Winds of Winter, but I will always think George is a lazy POS.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #2218
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It probably was his ending. But the way the show-runners got to it - with tremendous haste, wild improbability, and an utter disregard for character and motivation - was the worst possible route to that ending. On the other hand, Martin’s route to the finish is an unknown because he hasn’t written (or even plotted) it yet.

But Martin stalled long before the series wrapped up. He never managed to regain control of the story after struggling for two years with the Meereneese Knot after the pointless digressions of Feast for Crows. So it’s been 17 years since he had any kind of clear direction or forward motion for the story.
He made a huge mistake (he has admitted this) when he skipped his planned timed lag. Ever since then he has been absolutely drowning. The renewed interest in the series generated by the show completely obsfucated this, but you're bang on, this guy lost the plot direction over a decade ago and hasn't been able to come close to putting it back together. Now it seems he's not even really interested in doing it because someone else tried with scotch tape.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:30 AM   #2219
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
There was an event earlier this year where this buffoon compared himself to Tolkein, lamenting that he didn't have a Christopher to carry on his legacy.

What a total dolt. Not only will he never sniff Tolkein's jock from a writing and lore perspective, but he has already tarnished his own legacy so badly that it probably wouldn't matter if he left his thoughts with someone to complete post death. And that is a laughably simplified view on the relationship between Christopher Tolkein and his FATHER, who once said Christopher was his "first editor" with the Hobbit literally being written in letters to his son.

I digress. George has lost a lot of respect from me over the last 5 years. His whining about people wanting him to finish what got us all hooked is absolutely insulting. I loved these books, hated the #### out of the last few seasons of this show, and would still probably read the Winds of Winter, but I will always think George is a lazy POS.
He should sell the rights to Harlequin Romance and they can get one of their Junior Staff Writers to button it all up.

"Hey Jerry! Jerry! You think you can bang out an ending to this by Thursday? Cool!"

Old 03-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #2220
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know that he’s given up so much as set himself a near-impossible task. Apparently Winds of Winter has grown so big that it might have to be split into two books, just like Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons were split.

https://winteriscoming.net/2021/07/3...nto-two-books/

The story - which by his own admission he has been making up as he goes along without an outline or plan - is such a mess he doesn’t know how to untangle it and weave it back together again. There are at least 20 POV characters in WoW, and dozens and dozens of unresolved plotlines. Martin actually has a full-time employee whose job it is to track and remember all the history, characters, and lore, because he has lost track of it all.

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming