Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #81
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Wow… don’t look so happy playing a game for millions of dollars
"Smile hunny, it's a beautiful day!" but for 25 year old men.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #82
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I think it speaks volumes to the fact that Treliving doesn't know what he's doing with this roster at all. I also think highly competent GMs would draw the line at paying a guy like this a premium knowing this guy would still be twiddling his thumbs or accepting a PTO from some basement dweller.

I would quite honestly expect a quality GM to tell Daryll that it's either Stone or Gudbranson - choose one or the other because there isn't room for two slow, aging players like this.
We all get it. You don't like Treliving. Honestly. We get it.

Sutter wanted both of them, or Treliving wouldn't have brought them both back. I don't think you bring in a coach the level of Sutter and just build your own team and hope he's not mad at you.

The fact that Sutter called Gudbranson himself certainly makes it pretty clear.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #83
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So if Gudbranson plays poorly and turns out to be a bad signing, is that on the coach or the GM?

What if he is a revelation?

Or is it on the owners?
Do you honestly think he's a guy that moves the needle either way?

He's the 5th defenseman right now I would guess ... little chance to move past the first four, and a fair chance to be 7th by the end of the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #84
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Wow… don’t look so happy playing a game for millions of dollars
making bank doesn't mean you're going to be happy.

They have plenty of reasons to not look happy. Not meeting their coach's expectations, especially since their Coach is Darryl Sutter, could easily be one of those reasons.

Perhaps we shouldn't speculate based on an image that captures one small moment in time.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #85
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
making bank doesn't mean you're going to be happy.

They have plenty of reasons to not look happy. Not meeting their coach's expectations, especially since their Coach is Darryl Sutter, could easily be one of those reasons.

Perhaps we shouldn't speculate based on an image that captures one small moment in time.
Post practice as well. Probably a bit tired.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:41 PM   #86
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Kylington looks ready to steal a spot.
Underrated.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #87
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I can't recall too many 30 year old plugs on their 6th team since 2019 getting handed $2M contracts in mid September. In a completely dead UFA D market at that point it is extremely likely that nobody was in pursuit of this guy. He has been on borrowed time for the last 3-4 seasons and played what should have been his final card in Nashville last year.

What I can recall is bums like this instead getting PTOs that makes them at least play their way onto a roster.
Its seems likely someone offered him a 2 year at league min...Flames had to pay more for a one year.

Another team gave up a player and a pick for him a few months ago, sometimes things fans see and what actual NHL executives see are different
Old 10-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #88
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Another team gave up a player and a pick for him a few months ago, sometimes things fans see and what actual NHL executives see are different
Another team gave up an East Coast Hockey League player and a 7th round pick for him a few months ago. If we play our cards right we may be able to get a 7th rounder for him at the deadline.

Stanley Cup Champion Zach Bogosian got 850K this offseason. Similar player to Gudbranson, minus the Stanley Cup for Bogosian.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 10-14-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:52 PM   #89
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Another team gave up an East Coast Hockey League player and a 7th round pick for him a few months ago. If we play our cards right we may be able to get a 7th rounder for him at the deadline.

Stanley Cup Champion Zach Bogosian got 850K this offseason. Similar player to Gudbranson, minus the Stanley Cup for Bogosian.
Yeah that cup was all him lol

850K in Tampa doesn't mean he would have come to Calgary for that amount

I highly doubt the Flames would have given Gudbranson that money for no reason...like it or not isn't my point.

Seems more than likely he had other offers
Old 10-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #90
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah that cup was all him lol

850K in Tampa doesn't mean he would have come to Calgary for that amount

I highly doubt the Flames would have given Gudbranson that money for no reason...like it or not isn't my point.

Seems more than likely he had other offers
Do you think we could get a 7th rounder for him this year? And a ECHLer as well maybe, that would be fantastic and the same return the Sens got for him.

I find it amazing that you think for sure there was a bidding war for Gudbranson. I wonder how hot thr market was for him.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #91
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think we could get a 7th rounder for him this year? And a ECHLer as well maybe, that would be fantastic and the same return the Sens got for him.

I find it amazing that you think for sure there was a bidding war for Gudbranson. I wonder how hot thr market was for him.
There is a world of difference between a "bidding war" and competing offers. No one believes that Gudbranson was a hot, summer commodity, but given the delay in his signing and the value of his contract it is perfectly reasonable to think that the Flames were not the only team interested in him. Your faux astonishment at this is willfully obtuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #92
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There is a world of difference between a "bidding war" and competing offers. No one believes that Gudbranson was a hot, summer commodity, but given the delay in his signing and the value of his contract it is perfectly reasonable to think that the Flames were not the only team interested in him. Your faux astonishment at this is willfully obtuse.
It is also possible that Gudbranson's agent said this is the number he will sign for and Treliving met that number. We both have an equal amount of evidence that we can present for either position. Sometimes agents fleece GM's as well.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #93
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

He's the 5th defenseman right now I would guess ... little chance to move past the first four, and a fair chance to be 7th by the end of the season.
No I don’t believe he moves the needle but a 5th defenseman needs to be adequate. We’ll see if he is.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #94
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol, wrong thread
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #95
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
It is also possible that Gudbranson's agent said this is the number he will sign for and Treliving met that number. We both have an equal amount of evidence that we can present for either position. Sometimes agents fleece GM's as well.
Of course, it is possible. There are any number of unknown factors which went into this contract, which is why I don't believe for a second that you "find it amazing" to think that Gudbranson could have been entertaining more than just the Flames's offer. There is nothing remotely amazing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #96
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
‘My client will not sign for a penny less than $1.9 million on a one-year deal. He would rather earn nothing this year than accept an insult like $1.8 million.’

Said no agent ever.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:02 PM   #97
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You really don't think a 5th defenceman moves the needle? You best believe he moves the needle. You just better hope he isn't moving the needle down.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:01 AM   #98
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
You really don't think a 5th defenceman moves the needle? You best believe he moves the needle. You just better hope he isn't moving the needle down.
I was responding to someone saying this move could make the GM look good or bad.

I'm saying it's unlikely to move the needle in that department.

If he fails he slides out of the lineup, and the difference between Gudbranson and say Stone isn't that great.

He isn't going to jump over any of the top four.

So no ... won't move the needle.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #99
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
I was responding to someone saying this move could make the GM look good or bad.

I'm saying it's unlikely to move the needle in that department.

If he fails he slides out of the lineup, and the difference between Gudbranson and say Stone isn't that great.

He isn't going to jump over any of the top four.

So no ... won't move the needle.
Oh Bingo....

You eternal optimist.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #100
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think it is a reasonable assumption that Gudbranson had outside interest from other teams—it explains why his contract came in as high as it did. But I also think that outside of the first couple pre-season games he was fine, and not the unmitigated disaster he is made out to be by many posters on this board.
I don’t understand the focus on Gudbranson when by all reports Zadorov was lacklustre in the preseason, cost us a 3rd, and clearly wants term and an AAV well above what his contributions would dictate.

At least Gudbranson was a FA add and shoots right, which also is important to consider given how many good young LHD we have.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote