Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #6341
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yep. Oil is soaring, fuel prices in the US are surging and it's comical what Biden is doing.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...ne-Prices.html

If only they had a way to bring on another 600 000bpd......
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #6342
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

KXL wasn't going to be in service until at least 23/24. Biden can't really do much, US producers are beholden to shareholder returns and OPEC is producing below their quotas. People blaming the President for a 100mbdp oil market don't really understand the market.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #6343
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

US is saying to expect to pay 57% more for heating this year due to rise in energy prices.

But inflation is NOT real. Goodness.

I agree on the President thing. You have numerous states that have shuttered nuclear (looking at you California). Numerous states that have not properly made sure gas is a viable and working option. Numerous states where hopes and dreams were expected to provide energy. I'm the biggest proponent of renewables, but you gotta make sure things are looked after before you start kicking fossil fuels to the curb.

Can't blame POTUS or the feds if the states are making those mistakes.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #6344
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you can solely blame Biden, as this situation took years to lead up to, with people many levels involved. There has been lack of long-term foresight amongst many.

However, I do think you can blame his administration for how they have handled things so far...ie the general deflection of the issue, and then begging OPEC to solve the problem. After the decade+ long underinvestment and vilification of the industry, this is not something that can be solved quickly, but at least involve your damn countrymen (and neighbours!) when looking to solve the issue.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #6345
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yeah, the Biden Admin is looking rather pathetic right now in their efforts, which of course wasn't that hard to see happening with the stupidity of their campaign.

But, at the end of the day the feds are forcing California to shut down their nuclear & fossil fuel energy plants.

All the states love to claim 'state power', but many of them have been more incompetent about the energy issue than the federal government.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #6346
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

From today’s Economist:

The first big energy shock of the green era

Quote:
The panic is a reminder that modern life needs abundant energy: without it, bills become unaffordable, homes freeze and businesses stall. The panic has also exposed deeper problems as the world shifts to a cleaner energy system, including inadequate investment in renewables and some transition fossil fuels, rising geopolitical risks and flimsy safety buffers in power markets. Without rapid reforms there will be more energy crises and, perhaps, a popular revolt against climate policies...
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #6347
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny coming from the Economist, when this was their cover not even a year ago.
Spoiler!

Not that I'm a big coal guy or anything, but these magazines are always great at calling tops and bottoms.

Last edited by Table 5; 10-14-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #6348
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

And then running and acting like they never said anything in the first place.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #6349
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Funny coming from the Economist, when this was their cover not even a year ago.
Spoiler!

Not that I'm a big coal guy or anything, but these magazines are always great at calling tops and bottoms.
Magazine covers are great contrary indicators. The Businessweek "End of Equities" cover was the start of the greatest equity bull market ever nearly to the day.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #6350
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
KXL wasn't going to be in service until at least 23/24. Biden can't really do much, US producers are beholden to shareholder returns and OPEC is producing below their quotas. People blaming the President for a 100mbdp oil market don't really understand the market.
I’m not at all blaming Biden for the status of the market. But I find it ridiculous that Biden is appealing for more off shore production, when the Democrats have twice now canceled a pipeline with a 600000 bpd capacity out of Canada in favour of Saudi or Russian oil. It’s absurd.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #6351
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

OPEC is sitting on 5Mbpd of cut capacity, they're the only ones driving the bus now.

I get the overall sentiment, but until this year they weren't even buying anything from SA and Russia. North America was largely energy self sufficient in 2019/2020. A ton has changed in the last 18 months, shale freight train that made us look redundant is no longer rolling.

Last edited by burn_this_city; 10-14-2021 at 08:45 PM.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #6352
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I’m not at all blaming Biden for the status of the market. But I find it ridiculous that Biden is appealing for more off shore production, when the Democrats have twice now canceled a pipeline with a 600000 bpd capacity out of Canada in favour of Saudi or Russian oil. It’s absurd.
There are better descriptors than “absurd”.
Mr.Coffee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #6353
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I kinda get it unfortunately.

It’s not that it was a pipeline with 600kbpd of capacity. It’s that it was a pipeline with 600kbpd of capacity for many many decades. That’s strategically inconvenient when you want to get as many of your own drops out of the ground as possible in the meantime. The economics of boats are much easier to turn off on a relative whim.

And it’s probably more Venezuelan heavy that we woulda displaced, not Saudi or Russian. But I’ve been out of the loop for a few years so anyone feel free to correct.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #6354
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nothing changes is we have KXL running right now, we have extra takeaway capacity and more coming. Investors right now don't want production to grow, they want dividend increases, share buybacks and debt repaid. Oil over $80 for a couple months will probably change some minds but budgets are being set for next year and most aren't increasing.

Frankly not running up and trying to bring on as much production as you can when prices spike is better for the industry. We need to level out the boom and bust.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suave For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #6355
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Appealing to the woke, green party of the political spectrum.

Everyone knows the ideas are not based in reality, but here we are.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #6356
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this was a sobering article to read and seems to pick up on some of themes above

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...itre-in-canada

i follow dan the gas price wizard on twitter, and believe most of what he says is reasonable - but i am open to hearing any counterpoints
Old 10-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #6357
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...ns-2021-10-15/

And Europe is looking to Russia for their LNG supply. That has to be good for us here somehow. We're a long way from eliminating fossil fuels.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #6358
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
this was a sobering article to read and seems to pick up on some of themes above

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...itre-in-canada

i follow dan the gas price wizard on twitter, and believe most of what he says is reasonable - but i am open to hearing any counterpoints

$2/litre would hurt a lot of people. On the other hand, we need to be burning less of the stuff - is this enough to change people’s behaviour? Drive less, trade down to a more efficient vehicle, lower your thermostat a few degrees, do some energy renovations…
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #6359
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

would the vehicle marketplace not become really distorted in terms of value of vehicle being traded in? and the availability of more efficient vehicles? the car market is already messy due to the chip shortage.

the impact on the price of food will be something else that will be harder to side step.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #6360
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...ns-2021-10-15/

And Europe is looking to Russia for their LNG supply. That has to be good for us here somehow. We're a long way from eliminating fossil fuels.
Europe is fine with sourcing its vital hydrocarbon needs from autocracies like Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Libya, so long as they don’t sully their own hands by developing the filthy stuff themselves.

Germany, in particular, is proving utterly naive and spineless. They’ve basically dropped their pants, presented their balls to Russia, and meekly asked Putin not to squeeze too hard.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: