Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #5341
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Random question, but maybe someone in here is familiar. How long can a gas company go without paying their well lease to a land owner, before the land owner can legally deny that gas company site/well access?
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #5342
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
No.
There is a lot of confusion here about orphaned, vs inactive, vs abandoned well.

Inactive wells are just wells that aren't flowing. They still belong to and are the responsibility of the owner.

Abandoned wells, are wells that have been properly sealed up and capped. Abandoned wells don't require much, if any further work or action. The next step would be reclamation of the surface site, which is usually not expensive.

Orphan wells are wells that need to be abandoned, but the owner is no longer in business. This is what the orphaned well fund is for.

So no, even if there is no hope of wells ever being reactivated, they do not go onto the "Abandoned" pile, and I'm sure what you really meant was "Orphaned", and I assume you also meant are taxpayers on the hook for the costs to abandon them. No, whoever the owner is would be required to abandon them, provided they still exist.

Hope that helps.
I stand corrected. Thank you for clarifying the difference in word usage.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #5343
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Random question, but maybe someone in here is familiar. How long can a gas company go without paying their well lease to a land owner, before the land owner can legally deny that gas company site/well access?
Depends on what the underlying oil and gas lease would provide or state in respect of the matter, would it not?

If you are asking an Alberta-specific question, then I don't have the answer for you.

But in some jurisdictions, notably in the US, failure to pay royalties is not a grounds for lease termination, only for breach of contract and a suit for damages for the unpaid royalties, but the underlying oil and gas lease can provide otherwise.

That said, if the lease is no longer producing in paying quantities (which is a legal term of art), then the lease terminates and the land owner would typically be allowed to deny access to the oil company, except in order for the company to conduct abandonment and remediation operations in connection with the well.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #5344
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I was just hoping for more info.

For instance is there a la our limitation on what it takes to shut down these well sites?

Say I'm the Acme Oil and Gas company and I operate Wells in Canada and all of a sudden I'm looking at the situation and thinking 'i need to shutter 100 well sites', I'm probably not the only company having to do that. Am I figuring right that sealing off or otherwise pausing an operation is a different man power concern outside of the usual steam chief , electrical engineer etc operating crew? Is it possible to physically shutter these well sites if this lingers for a long time or even gets worse?

Is there a situation where the need to limit or stop production reaches some urgency?

I'm trying to understand how it works operationally.
If your question is where will these Operators get the people to actually shut the wells off, the answer is they don't require additional workers for the most part. The wells are either operated remotely as mentioned so it's the click of a mouse, or they all have well operators who are people who visit the sites daily and they would do it. But either way those people are already on staff/contract.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #5345
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Surface owners can apply to surface rights board and be paid by them. Any surface owner who denies access (for non psyment) is a bad idea because now you are on the hook for any liabilities that may occur as operator cannot get to well.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #5346
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some really interesting stuff going on in the geothermal world...might be a good use of our idle oil equipment. 3 examples atthe article.

https://energynow.ca/2020/04/how-the...r-david-yager/

I've read about the Eavor loop before. Pretty cool they were able to connect the well bores below ground, and have it circulating without pumps.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #5347
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've read about the Eavor loop before. Pretty cool they were able to connect the well bores below ground, and have it circulating without pumps.
That sounds really cool! Any idea how costs play out for that? Or is it way too early to say?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #5348
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not very excited by the Deep Earth model - drilling new wells in an ideal location temperature-wise (deepest part of the Williston basin). It takes a ton of power generation to make up for that initial drilling expense and risk. Their one positive is that they are in a part of Saskatchewan that would lend itself to well to greenhouses which could use the waste heat.

I'm more excited by the idea of using old fields and flooding water from one horizontal wellbore to another to get fluid return because infrastructure is already in place. There are lots of deep gas wells in NE-BC that are very hot.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #5349
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownesian View Post
I'm not very excited by the Deep Earth model - drilling new wells in an ideal location temperature-wise (deepest part of the Williston basin). It takes a ton of power generation to make up for that initial drilling expense and risk. Their one positive is that they are in a part of Saskatchewan that would lend itself to well to greenhouses which could use the waste heat.

I'm more excited by the idea of using old fields and flooding water from one horizontal wellbore to another to get fluid return because infrastructure is already in place. There are lots of deep gas wells in NE-BC that are very hot.
The shale wells with basically no permeability?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #5350
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
There's got to be a few where someone screwed up the fracs and connected adjacent wells with frac permeability.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #5351
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
That sounds really cool! Any idea how costs play out for that? Or is it way too early to say?
Ya, sorry, no idea on that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #5352
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Thinking more the old deep paleozoic foothills gas wells - Sukunka, Bullmoose, Brazion, etc. Fracture + matrix perm.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #5353
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Irving Oil seeks permission to move oil by foreign tanker to their St. John refinery. I mean, what's more Canadian than this?

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/irving-a...john-1.4914417
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #5354
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So fracking stupid that we got to this point.

Thanks Quebec.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #5355
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6888324/c...medium=Twitter

Quote:
The Petroleum Services Association of Canada has revised its 2020 Canadian drilling forecast to an almost 50-year record low of 3,100 oil and gas wells, a level not seen since 2,900 wells were drilled in 1972.

PSAC interim CEO Elizabeth Aquin says more than $7 billion of capital investment in the energy sector has been cancelled to date this year thanks to demand destruction from measures to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic and a supply surplus due to an oil price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
She said blockades of the Coastal GasLink Pipeline and cancellation of the Frontier oilsands project have also hurt investor confidence in the Canadian oil and gas industry.

PSAC chairman Mark O’Byrne says the industry appreciates government assistance such as $1.7 billion in federal funding to clean up orphan and inactive wells in Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia, but will need more help to ensure survival.
The new forecast represents a decrease of 1,400 wells, or 31 per cent, from PSAC’s original forecast of 4,500 wells announced in October.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #5356
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
CN Rail has filed a lawsuit against protesters who allegedly blocked dozens of its trains in northern B.C. in February in support of the Wet'suwet'en First Nation.
In a claim filed in B.C. Supreme Court this week, the railway said a two-day protest action in New Hazelton affected nearly 5,000 freight cars, stranding the Port of Prince Rupert and backing up rail traffic as far east as Winnipeg.

Probably won't go anywhere, but the RCMP and the government did a lousy job of it, so maybe going after the protesters monetarily is the way to go.

Hopefully this sets a precedence so that when we get the inevitable protests against Trans-X, we can sue them into oblivion.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:43 PM   #5357
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ium%3Dsharebar

Probably won't go anywhere, but the RCMP and the government did a lousy job of it, so maybe going after the protesters monetarily is the way to go.

Hopefully this sets a precedence so that when we get the inevitable protests against Trans-X, we can sue them into oblivion.
this is fantastic and I wondered why it didn't happen earlier. Damages would be easily calculated, and I think they will win this easily with the award reduced due to the nature of the defendants. I hope this gives people pause for the future frivolous protesting that will be inevitable here.

Protesting Gaslink was the stupidest thing possibly in modern history. Not just Canadian history, modern history. I struggle to think of stupider things. It's like listening to a Trump speech, thinking about this.

Literally the whole world is multitudes worse off- listening and trying to accommodate these protesters. If these protesters could somehow be wrangled up, put on a plane to space forever- the world would be better off.

When a natural gas pipeline leaks, what happens? Nothing. That is exactly what happens.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #5358
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

You know 2020 has been strange when it feels like the protests were a year ago already.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #5359
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
You know 2020 has been strange when it feels like the protests were a year ago already.
Anything before Hanks/NBA is from a different time period.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #5360
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
this is fantastic and I wondered why it didn't happen earlier. Damages would be easily calculated, and I think they will win this easily with the award reduced due to the nature of the defendants. I hope this gives people pause for the future frivolous protesting that will be inevitable here.

Protesting Gaslink was the stupidest thing possibly in modern history. Not just Canadian history, modern history. I struggle to think of stupider things. It's like listening to a Trump speech, thinking about this.

Literally the whole world is multitudes worse off- listening and trying to accommodate these protesters. If these protesters could somehow be wrangled up, put on a plane to space forever- the world would be better off.

When a natural gas pipeline leaks, what happens? Nothing. That is exactly what happens.
Speaking of CGL and protests..

Quote:
Elected chiefs of a First Nation that’s split over a natural gas pipeline through their territory say they will not sign a deal on rights and title, a day after the hereditary chiefs backed the agreement.
Article
Regorium is online now   Reply With Quote