Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2021, 02:59 AM   #341
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The GG team played slow and on the perimeter.

IMO the team tonight dominated the play, looked fast and dangerous.
I think it's revisionism to say the GG team played on the perimeter. They definitely played between the hashmarks offensively.

What they didn't find were rush chances, or activate the defense properly. A huge part of that is that they didn't play as a five man unit, they played as three-forward-units while the defense didn't leave the wall areas to make plays. They also lost Tkachuk and Brodie down the stretch - your best netfront deflector and your best puckrushing D.

I agree the team played slow under Gulutzan, but they didn't play on the perimeter. That was a narrative that seemed convenient because they'd lose with 40+ shots so consistently, but it never happened.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:02 AM   #342
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
People tend to focus on what have you done lately for me lately. The past is not always a gaurentee of a future success. If it was Holland would still be the GM of Detroit and winning Cups also.
And that works both ways fyi. Recent failure doesn’t always guarantee more failure. Some teams make the leap.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:40 AM   #343
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

With a goalie like Markstrom, the Flames should win almost as often as they lose if they keep getting efforts like the first two games for the rest of the season. Another pretty solid game by most of the forwards and 5 of the defencemen. Maybe if we trade a bunch of draft picks and prospects for Eichel we can make the next step.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:54 AM   #344
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pooey game but not unexpected. A clear lack of skill, a lackluster PP and lack of clutchness throughout the lineup will be a struggle for the team all season. In the end, maybe they win more games then they lose, maybe they won't. But it's going to a struggle all season and an extremely fine line. Right now, it ain't pretty.

Once again, Gibson turns into a Vezina caliber goalie when he plays the Flames. Save% of . 928 and GAA 2.01 when he plays us. At least Coleman looked good as did Gaudreau.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:54 AM   #345
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the Flames it's like Occam's Razor, what can go wrong will....

I'm really disapointed in Markstron and I think that contract is going to look even worse as time goes on.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:17 AM   #346
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He did have hip surgery...fair to say it might take more than 2 games to get up to speed no?
Agreed. Also, Monahan has generally been a slow starter.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #347
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I have 4, 6, 7 and 9 year olds. Bless their hearts they all love the flames. I really wish they were good right now for them.
My boy is going to be 14. He’s seen a total of one playoff series victory. He started cheering for the Blues during their run. I don’t blame him. Lately he hasn’t even been watching the Flames. Flames management are actively turning off young Flames fans. In a sea of McDavid jerseys at his school he wouldn’t be caught dead in his Flames jersey. He wears his Tarasenko… sigh.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:11 AM   #348
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

How are ppl even talking about Markstrom? The only reason Gibson was 'the better goalie' is because he faced a #### load of shots. When you score only 2 goals on 40+ shots, the problem ain't your goalie.

I thought Zadorov was absolutely awful. I was actually shocked Sutter kept playing him after a couple of those horrendous turn-overs. I fear the wheels may have fallen off of Monahan - a total non-factor, I'm hoping it is just rust given his offseason surgery.

I like Andersson and Hanifin for the most part. I thought most of our players actually played really well. I don't know if it is a confidence issue or what it is, but we simply can't finish. After the second period we should have easily been up 3-1 or 4-1 against the lowly Ducks... but we let them stay in it.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #349
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap139609.html
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...=25&final=true
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2366656/
Old 10-19-2021, 06:43 AM   #350
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
How are ppl even talking about Markstrom?
Because to many he's been a disappointment? He's getting paid $6 million a season to be the best goaltender on the ice most nights. Unfortunately he's been outdueled in most of his tenure as Flames goaltender. It's pretty clear for a Darryl Sutter coached team to win games he needs Kipper or Quick (in his prime) level goaltending. The stats don't lie as Markstrom has been a below average starter in his time with the Flames. He wasn't bad last night but that first goal is saved by most NHL goaltenders and the Flames just don't have the finish to overcome soft goals. If he doesn't play a lot better, this team doesn't have a chance.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 06:48 AM   #351
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Finish is everything I guess... Also timely saves.
I wish Swedish was everything
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #352
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
This place is in mid season form after game two. I love it.

There’s plenty to be encouraged by thru two games.

I really don't get these drive by "I'm smarter than everyone else here" posts that take shots at the people who are pissed off and sick of watching the Flames lose.

Why on earth should this fan base be patient with this franchise? It's pain, pain and more pain being a fan of this team. And then posters like you come along and drop your holier than thou mocking tones like we're all idiots for getting frustrated at yet another disappointing Flames loss.

Good grief.

Anyways, having said that I am at least happy that the Flames have carried the play and possession for the most part so far. Hopefully it starts to translate into wins though, because there is no points awarded in the standings for out shooting and outplaying your opponent. You only get those for out scoring your opponent.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #353
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This team has little to no finish. This is getting painful to watch.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #354
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Man, two games in and it’s already frustrating. I feel like I already know how the season plays out. We will come on here after every game and the optimists will be positive, the pessimists will be negative. Both sides will claim that they’ll be proven right be the end of the season, and when the end of the season comes we will come up just short of the playoffs, or just squeak in to the playoffs and get bounced in the first round. We will have a middle of the round pick and do the same thing next year. Rinse and repeat.
Welcome to sports. You new here?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #355
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I really don't get these drive by "I'm smarter than everyone else here" posts that take shots at the people who are pissed off and sick of watching the Flames lose.
It's his schtick. Just ignore him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #356
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Because to many he's been a disappointment? He's getting paid $6 million a season to be the best goaltender on the ice most nights. Unfortunately he's been outdueled in most of his tenure as Flames goaltender. It's pretty clear for a Darryl Sutter coached team to win games he needs Kipper or Quick (in his prime) level goaltending. The stats don't lie as Markstrom has been a below average starter in his time with the Flames. He wasn't bad last night but that first goal is saved by most NHL goaltenders and the Flames just don't have the finish to overcome soft goals. If he doesn't play a lot better, this team doesn't have a chance.
Yup, so far he has been the second best goalie in both games and that’s not enough

Sure it’s not his fault but he needs to make a big and timely save. He needs to win the close games.

Btw, Markstrom is a great goalie is a myth. He had one or two good year in Vancouver and they never won.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #357
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

To win you have to penetrate the middle. The Flames don't play that style. Their goal is to own the boards and take as many low percentage shots as possible. That makes them analytics darlings, and gets the spreadsheet set hard, but does not lead to wins. You're not getting many shots past an NHL goaltender from the boards, but that is the Flames strategy. They have five guys all playing within 10 feet of the boards, and no one going to the net. Results are predictable. You could have McDavid and Draisaitl playing on this team and the results would be the same. You don't win games from the boards.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #358
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Same old Flames. But this was expected haha the GM brought back the same mediocre team. One thing is massive draft this year!
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #359
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Same old Flames. But this was expected haha the GM brought back the same mediocre team. One thing is massive draft this year!
It’s probably harder to beat Arizona in the draft (for Wright)than winning the Stanley Cup
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:37 AM   #360
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah this team is going to struggle offensively. Giordano and Brodie who were 35-40 point guys have been replaced with Tanev and Zadorov/Gudbransson who are all defensive defensemen. Add Monahan's downward trend, is this guy going to hit 50 points this year? I don't even notice him out there.

The offensive talent of this team has really diminished in the last couple of years.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote