Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #2521
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it’s unlikely to happen but if Nintendo can somehow get goldeneye for the N64 online I could see a lot of people buying a switch just for that. If I didn’t already own one I know I would
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #2522
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Goldeneye (aside from the licensing issues obviously) is it needs a ton of work to be an enjoyable game in 2021. Between the framerate and jank and weird controls it is really not a good game at all now, people have the nostalgia blinders on hard for it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #2523
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Iggy_Oi's points still stands.

Whether it's a good game not or not, getting GoldenEye with online support would be a selling feature for people.

The nostalgia would last about 3 hours and then people will realize it's a flawed game, but the nostalgia would get people into the Switch ecosystem.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #2524
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
If there's even a remote chance you'll want to do this, buy the regular switch. It's insane how many hours my wife and I have burned up playing Mario Cart. TONS of fun. I really wished they'd release another one or at least have DLC for new courses.
Alright, thanks. I will probably go for the regular, $350 model then.

Maybe after 15 years this will finally do the trick to get my wife to game with me. Many years ago she bought some lego Harry Potter game for us to play together, but then got upset that I did everything.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #2525
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Maybe after 15 years this will finally do the trick to get my wife to game with me. Many years ago she bought some lego Harry Potter game for us to play together, but then got upset that I did everything.
haha, can relate. My wife likes to game but didn't have much luck finding something mutual until after years of suggesting we try a switch, she bought me one for Christmas last year. The rest is history. We've played Mario Cart, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Party & Splatoon. She plays Tetris on it for hours as well.

Even is she doesn't wind up gaming with you, having the switch on your TV is great especially with games like Breath of the Wild (a MUST have)...well basically all of them TBH.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 10-15-2021 at 01:53 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #2526
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to play Mario Golf(Gamecube) with non-gamer friends all the time. Haven't tried the new one, but might be worth a shot to add to your list.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #2527
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Huge Animal Crossing update announced today for those who are interested.

There's a $25 DLC, but it looks like a lot comes with the free update.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/15/an...on-november-5/
It's a pretty huge update. There are a ton of new items and quality-of-life changes that are sorely needed.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #2528
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

About 2/3rd's of the way through Dread, really enjoying it. One thing I don't really like, though, is all the areas seem the same. I couldn't guess what region I was in if I had a gun to my head. I like it when each region is distinct, like fire zones, snow zones, water zones etc.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #2529
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pray for my well loved, release-day-purchased switch. The right joycon is losing its connection to the console, but only the physical connection in handheld mode. Wireless is fine. It happens with two different joycons, so it is likely an issue with the rail, pins, or ribbon cable inside.

Nintendo figures it will cost $40 including shipping (both ways) to repair. I think that's a pretty fair deal. Of course, you can get the parts on eBay and do it yourself, but for $40 I would rather just save myself the hassle because I would probably screw something up.

I have dealt with Nintendo service once before with a drifty pro controller, and they were fast and easy to work with (and sent me a new controller quickly as a replacement). They are estimating a 2-3 week turnaround this time though, but I figured I would get it done now before the days get colder and darker and we'll be using it more.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #2530
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
About 2/3rd's of the way through Dread, really enjoying it. One thing I don't really like, though, is all the areas seem the same. I couldn't guess what region I was in if I had a gun to my head. I like it when each region is distinct, like fire zones, snow zones, water zones etc.
I finished Dread over the weekend, and I agree that the distinction between areas is a bit lacking. Yeah, there's at least a few distinctive areas, but the large EMMI zones in each area plus the mostly mechanical look in the first 3 areas are tough to differentiate. By time I got 100% items I could make out the zones pretty clearly but I agree that could have been done better.

I will say that I absolutely love the movement in Dread. It's fast, fluid and a ton of fun to play around with. They built quite a few puzzles around the movement for getting 100% items too.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #2531
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm too old for this many buttons! I'm getting the hang of it, but the dual trigger buttons often leave me hitting the wrong ones. I always like going for 100%, so I'm dreading some of the combos I'll have to use to get some of these things!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #2532
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

SWOLED is now online at Shoppers:

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/Sho...e=045496883386
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 11:02 PM   #2533
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Pray for my well loved, release-day-purchased switch. The right joycon is losing its connection to the console, but only the physical connection in handheld mode. Wireless is fine. It happens with two different joycons, so it is likely an issue with the rail, pins, or ribbon cable inside.

Nintendo figures it will cost $40 including shipping (both ways) to repair. I think that's a pretty fair deal. Of course, you can get the parts on eBay and do it yourself, but for $40 I would rather just save myself the hassle because I would probably screw something up.

I have dealt with Nintendo service once before with a drifty pro controller, and they were fast and easy to work with (and sent me a new controller quickly as a replacement). They are estimating a 2-3 week turnaround this time though, but I figured I would get it done now before the days get colder and darker and we'll be using it more.
Whatever you do don't get rid of it...its a hackable model
Old 10-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #2534
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The problem with Goldeneye (aside from the licensing issues obviously) is it needs a ton of work to be an enjoyable game in 2021. Between the framerate and jank and weird controls it is really not a good game at all now, people have the nostalgia blinders on hard for it.
Yeah, I played it a few years ago and it honestly kind of sucked big time. When it first came out it was groundbreaking and great, but the genre as advanced so much that now it's really its appeal.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #2535
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to say that I'm really enjoying Metroid Dread at this point.

At first it didn't seem like I was going to love it...controls were a little off to me, and overall it just wasn't really resonating with me.

But once you get into the game and really start to get comfortable with the controls it's really enjoyable. Think a big part of it is just coming to terms with the fact that you're going to die...a lot...and can't let that frustrate you.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #2536
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Have to say that I'm really enjoying Metroid at this point.

At first it didn't seem like I was going to love it...controls were a little off to me, and overall it just wasn't really resonating with me.

But once you get into the game it's really enjoyable. Think a big part of it is just coming to terms with the fact that you're going to die...a lot...and can't let that frustrate you.

I soft-locked myself out of my Metroid save about 3 hours in. Haven’t got around to restart it yet. It Autosaved with 14 health left and a sequence that is impossible to pass without taking damage. (Immediately after turning the power back on in that second World/Ship/Planet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #2537
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
I soft-locked myself out of my Metroid save about 3 hours in. Haven’t got around to restart it yet. It Autosaved with 14 health left and a sequence that is impossible to pass without taking damage. (Immediately after turning the power back on in that second World/Ship/Planet)

I didn't remember a part like this so watched videos of people doing both power generators -- there's easy paths back to the save points that don't require you to take damage. If you're at the second one you don't have to go back through the area that's now super cold and causes damage, there's a destructible block on the either side of the room to get back to the normal area.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #2538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't remember a part like this so watched videos of people doing both power generators -- there's easy paths back to the save points that don't require you to take damage. If you're at the second one you don't have to go back through the area that's now super cold and causes damage, there's a destructible block on the either side of the room to get back to the normal area.
Boy, if that's true, maybe he's also not really stranded in Edmonton and there is an escape route.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #2539
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

We may be talking about two different areas…there’s only one way in and one way out of this room where the save happened. You can use the cloaking to get by the blades wheel thing, but you don’t have the mobility to get by the greenish bat thing while cloaked…and the second you’re seen it sprints right at you…

FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #2540
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
We may be talking about two different areas…there’s only one way in and one way out of this room where the save happened. You can use the cloaking to get by the blades wheel thing, but you don’t have the mobility to get by the greenish bat thing while cloaked…and the second you’re seen it sprints right at you…

So that's the first generator then. You just kill the bat. When it flashes before it charges, you do the parry and can one shot it.

At the 3 minute mark here right:

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 10-22-2021 at 03:10 PM.