Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #1341
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Last weekend Visions had a sale so we decided to pick up a LG 55" OLED B7 series for only nineteen hundred bucks and upgrade our bedroom TV. It is last year's model but it's still an OLED so the picture is fantastic. The issue then became the only room without an OLED was our living room so against my wife's wishes I bought another 55" LG OLED except making her even more upset I upgraded to this year's E8 series, lol. Luckily it all worked out because even she couldn't deny how great of a TV it is, I didn't think OLED's could actually look any better than they did but with the new Alpha 9 processor in this year's model the image is even more amazingly spectacular.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #1342
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yet another example of happy wife, happy life
Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #1343
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain how a better processor could improve image quality? It is just by reducing motion judder or something?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #1344
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point in technology progression? Marketing, mostly. But I'm probably not the target audience for a $4500 TV.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #1345
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Can someone explain how a better processor could improve image quality? It is just by reducing motion judder or something?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #1346
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
At this point in technology progression? Marketing, mostly. But I'm probably not the target audience for a $4500 TV.
😋

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Iceman57; 07-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #1347
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I watched it. So the main benefit is app loading times, and allows you to calibrate the settings. Then he says the picture quality is "as great as it's ever been" - does that mean it's no better than the other models? If it's better, how is it better, and why? Telling me that "people look at this TV and love it", or that it has a "lovable picture" is completely meaningless. Yes, at this point we all know that OLED has the best picture. Why pay for this rather than last year's model if all you're getting is tangential software updates? Describe in clear terms what the difference is, and I'll be more inclined to believe there really IS one.

Basically, if the base line TV has the same panel as the top line model, and the top line model costs twice as much, you're pretty much wasting money, it seems to me. That has always been the problem with OLED; they don't know how to market product lines because you don't really get a better performing TV as you go up in price. It's already the absolute best picture you can get. The only reason to pay more is for a bigger screen.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #1348
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

rtings.com does good objective evaluations between LG's 7 and 8 OLED series televisions and they are almost identical outside of slightly better gradients, added black frame insertion, and slightly lower latency (LG OLEDs are already quick) on the newer models.

The newer one just costs 50%+ more. Oh, and slightly smaller bezels (who doesn't love that though?).

Last edited by Ashasx; 07-12-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #1349
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I watched it. So the main benefit is app loading times, and allows you to calibrate the settings. Then he says the picture quality is "as great as it's ever been" - does that mean it's no better than the other models? If it's better, how is it better, and why? Telling me that "people look at this TV and love it", or that it has a "lovable picture" is completely meaningless. Yes, at this point we all know that OLED has the best picture. Why pay for this rather than last year's model if all you're getting is tangential software updates? Describe in clear terms what the difference is, and I'll be more inclined to believe there really IS one.

Basically, if the base line TV has the same panel as the top line model, and the top line model costs twice as much, you're pretty much wasting money, it seems to me. That has always been the problem with OLED; they don't know how to market product lines because you don't really get a better performing TV as you go up in price. It's already the absolute best picture you can get. The only reason to pay more is for a bigger screen.

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #1350
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In all of the LG 7 and 8 series tv's the panels are the same and it is bells and whistles you are paying for after that. My LA branch has worked a lot with the LG engineers on the colour reproduction and it is pretty damn good. There are some issues but I don't think the average user would ever noticed. I prefer the Panasonic EZ1000 (https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume...-65ez1000.html) but there is a significant price difference between the two.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #1351
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing that is probably also improved but difficult to test is long term burn in. I know LG has had some issues in the past with their OLEDs but have made efforts to improve them. It could be possible the extra price of an 8 may be worth it in 4-5 years.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #1352
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Or you could just wait 4-5 years and get whatever the new “it” TV is then.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #1353
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

just saying that maybe burn in causes you to replace the tv sooner than you would have liked
Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #1354
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
just saying that maybe burn in causes you to replace the tv sooner than you would have liked
Only recently I have heard that could be an issue although I've had my 65" E6 series OLED for almost two years and it has no indication of any burn in happening. It's the TV I personally use the most since my PS4 Pro is hooked up to it while it's also the family 4K blu-ray movie TV as 7.1 Dobly Atmos is amazing, lol.

In any case that is why i always buy the in-home extended warranty, I'm an expert and flipping electronics or major appliances for the next new toy when the time comes
Old 11-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #1355
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple questions here:

I am in need of a new sub for a theatre room. Anyone have any suggstions. Would prefer not to break the bank (<$500), but also want a really good quality one as I know that a good sub can add a lot to the experiance.

Also in the market for a 65" or larger TV. Mainly to be used to watch TV and video games (xbox/switch). Any specific models I should watch out for? Price isn't a huge issue on this one.

Thanks!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #1356
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With regards to subs I would take a look at two brands, JL Audio and SVS. The JL Audio brand is quite expensive(the Fathom series) but second to none, SVS has some reasonably priced subs in the $800 dollar range but is more affordable then Jl Audio because they are made overseas. Also, check out a site called "Canuck Audio Mart", its better to get a used good one then a new cheap one. One more thing, if you are going to listen to music as well, get a sealed sub rather then an open ported one.

Cheap subs just sound awful, and you kind of pay for what you get in this area. ON the bright side, unlike video components and receivers subs seem to hold their value.

If I were you I would would wait or cheap out on the tv, it seems that a year later you can always get one twice as good(or twice as big) for the same price. When i built my system, the tv(ended up gong with a projector)was the absolute last thing I bought.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 11-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #1357
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I like SVS: https://www.svsound.com/products/pc12-plus

Old 12-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #1358
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for a little CP help. I’m in the market for a TV upgrade. I’m looking to upgrade my 8 year old 55” Vizio E series for a newer 65”. Don’t want to break the bank hoping to keep it in the $900-$1200 range.

It’s mostly used for very light gaming and just regular tv watching in a bonus room. I was looking at maybe another Vizio M series since it was a great TV just need a larger unit for the room but am open to suggestions. TIA.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #1359
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Looking for a little CP help. I’m in the market for a TV upgrade. I’m looking to upgrade my 8 year old 55” Vizio E series for a newer 65”. Don’t want to break the bank hoping to keep it in the $900-$1200 range.

It’s mostly used for very light gaming and just regular tv watching in a bonus room. I was looking at maybe another Vizio M series since it was a great TV just need a larger unit for the room but am open to suggestions. TIA.
The Vizio P65 is a great TV and is on sale for $1299 at costco right now.

Just picked one up for my Bonus Room.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #1360
Badabing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone have suggestions for a soundbar for a smaller living room? Would like to keep under $200-300.

Would mostly be used for movies / TV with a bit of gaming as well.

Thanks in advance!