Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #61
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think most people with young kids would get the “Johnny Johnny Yes Papa” reference there but I totally see why others are baffled.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #62
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I would think most people with young kids would get the “Johnny Johnny Yes Papa” reference there but I totally see why others are baffled.
Who is the guy on the left?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #63
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Doing anything original is pretty much out when it comes to kids stuff eh?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #64
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Who is the guy on the left?
The same guy everyone talks about firing.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #65
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow the next set of kids are screwed watching crap like this. Bert and Ernie and Mr. Hooper kicks the crap out of this CG nonsense.

Would have been better to have Gaudreau in the pics......
Old 11-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #66
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The same guy everyone talks about firing.
Man Edmonton really has done a number on Gullys hairline
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #67
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Wow the next set of kids are screwed watching crap like this. Bert and Ernie and Mr. Hooper kicks the crap out of this CG nonsense.

Would have been better to have Gaudreau in the pics......
Peters: Johnny Johnny
Gaudreau: Yes Pepe
Peters: Eating unhealthy?
Gaudreau: No Pepe!
Peters: Telling lies?
Peters: Open you mouth
Gaudreau: *Spits out a cheese pizza*

Better?

Last edited by joejoe3; 11-06-2018 at 01:49 PM.
joejoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #68
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Yeah, I can't help but look at that LA game as a better venue for him to work things out. He put up a .727 to end the season last year against Anaheim too, so he's 50/50 on what he can bring against that team.

I worry too that having a great duo is going to be harder to nurture if you let Smith get lit up again. I think what we saw against Colorado and Pittsburgh was enough embarrassment to start giving him the easier games right now...
The present situation is not that simple to assess. What is missing from your rather inflexible evaluation is the crucial splits that Smith has between games on the road and at the Saddledome, where he has been bad since the start of last season. In so doing, you have failed to accurately show the whole record of Smith's performance against Anaheim in his time with the Flames, which includes FOUR games, NOT two.

At the Saddledoeme he was unsurprisingly below average, posting a 0.875 SP, a win, and a big loss. But in Smith's games in Anaheim he allowed two goals on 84 shots, recorded a shutout win and a one-goal loss on the strength of a 0.976 SP. Mike Smith's numbers this year very much like last season are considerably better on the road than at home, and this includes his near-shutout of the Toronto Maple Leafs in his last game. His road SP thus far is a respectable 0.912.

I have been saying for a long time that the biggest problem with Mike Smith's game is what happens at the Saddledome. But he has always been and continues to be a very good goalie in road games, and is a big reason why the Flames have had a great road record the past two seasons. He won arguably the most important game of the season last year in Anaheim. Smith deserves the start tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #69
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I loved what I saw from Neal and Lindholm in the Colorado game in particular.

I'd be interested in seeing a lineup at some point like:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Neal
Tkachuk - Monahan - Czarnik/Ryan
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Hathaway - Jankowski - Ryan/Czarnik
The only change I would make is

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Neal
Tkachuk - Monahan - Foo
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Hathaway - Jankowski - Czarnik

Ryan and Czarnik have been pretty underwhelming IMO. Not sure I would reward either one of them with top 6 minutes at this point, and it wouldn't hurt to see what Foo has to offer on a scoring line. If you can't score with Tkachuk/Monahan as your linemates, well......
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #70
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post

Better?
No. No it's not.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #71
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The present situation is not that simple to assess. What is missing from your rather inflexible evaluation is the crucial splits that Smith has between games on the road and at the Saddledome, where he has been bad since the start of last season. In so doing, you have failed to accurately show the whole record of Smith's performance against Anaheim in his time with the Flames, which includes FOUR games, NOT two.

At the Saddledoeme he was unsurprisingly below average, posting a 0.875 SP, a win, and a big loss. But in Smith's games in Anaheim he allowed two goals on 84 shots, recorded a shutout win and a one-goal loss on the strength of a 0.976 SP. Mike Smith's numbers this year very much like last season are considerably better on the road than at home, and this includes his near-shutout of the Toronto Maple Leafs in his last game. His road SP thus far is a respectable 0.912.

I have been saying for a long time that the biggest problem with Mike Smith's game is what happens at the Saddledome. But he has always been and continues to be a very good goalie in road games, and is a big reason why the Flames have had a great road record the past two seasons. He won arguably the most important game of the season last year in Anaheim. Smith deserves the start tonight.
You mean tomorrow night.

Professor Frink is that you?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #72
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

If you find another way to bend, it doesn't mean that my evaluation is inflexible. You're taking stabs before making your point and I'm not sure why... just make your point and we can talk about it. I also said he was 50/50, not 1 for 2.

Stats wise, I don't disagree with that as another option to help Smith become a more positive contributor to this team. But, I think starting in Anaheim has to come from that lense to be seen as anything but Smith being given the starters role again, despite results. Rittich at home, and Smith on the road at least gives us (statistically) the best way to win games right now, but it's definitely unorthodox. If it works, great!

But... unless you and the coaching staff are in-line with this, he's getting the net again as the starter and not the best away goalie. My issue isn't necessarily that he plays Anaheim instead of LA, it's that he's still playing as the starter when it's clear we need to be making adjustments. If it works out that Smith is the best for this game anyway, I'm ecstatic. But I'm getting frustrated that he's still the starter at this point.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #73
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
If Dube is injured I’d rather go 7 d with stone in and Hathaway out
Interesting. Is it the idea of screwing up the D-pairings all game or having one D-man watch the game from the bench instead of the pressbox that has you on board with this?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #74
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am good with Smith tomorrow, Rittich on Saturday, and based on those 2 outings we will see how it goes from there. And if Rittich keeps having impressive games, and/or Smith keeps disappointing, slowly that will cause Rittich’s starts to increase and Smith’s to decrease.

Hopefully they both play well though, that is the best problem to deal with. But I do think you still give Smith the opportunity to find his game, and I don’t believe he is suddenly unable to play well. He is slumping, it happens to players of all ages.

I am comforted by Peters decision making, he has a good pulse on making the right move at the right time.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #75
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just realized this winning streak started when I started wearing my wife's golden knights hat because my flames hat fell on the ground in a suspicious looking puddle. I'm scared to wash it maybe that was good luck urine
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #76
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Sitting Dube is fine, but I’m really starting to think Ryan could use some time in the press box.
I know it's early but I wish we didn't sign him. I know he doesn't give up much defensively but considering he doesn't seem to mesh with our other top 9 players I don't really see much value in that at $3+ mill.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Czarnik-Frolik
Dube-Jankowski-Hathaway

I saw a rumor on Reddit that Czarnik requested a trade due to a lack of playing time. Wanted Flames to move him to one of the other teams interested in him in the offseason.

I personally think he should be given some more chances to prove himself before we consider that.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #77
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post

Better?
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #78
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I know it's early but I wish we didn't sign him. I know he doesn't give up much defensively but considering he doesn't seem to mesh with our other top 9 players I don't really see much value in that at $3+ mill.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal
Bennett-Czarnik-Frolik
Dube-Jankowski-Hathaway

I saw a rumor on Reddit that Czarnik requested a trade due to a lack of playing time. Wanted Flames to move him to one of the other teams interested in him in the offseason.

I personally think he should be given some more chances to prove himself before we consider that.
Reddit? Okaaaay.

But if it's true, trade him. I suspect he hasn't distinguished himself in practice. In the games he played, who does he think he beat out of the present lineup?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #79
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
If Dube is injured I’d rather go 7 d with stone in and Hathaway out
As a player I've always hated this. I've always felt having 7 d disrupted the flow. The forward lines may not get disrupted as much because of the fourth line having lower minutes but whichever d pairing you play with, especially if you're on the third pairing you never can get into a good groove because you're either missing a shift or playing with someone different every other shift. That along with the lower minutes you would be having by being on the third pairing.

If you don't want to utilize a fourth line then I'd say it's better to have an enforcer dressed to police the ice. Just my opinion.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #80
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Reddit? Okaaaay.

But if it's true, trade him. I suspect he hasn't distinguished himself in practice. In the games he played, who does he think he beat out of the present lineup?
I have no idea but I don't think it's crazy to think he should be in the same boat as Jankowski, Hathaway and Ryan.

All 4 of those guys are:

a) nothing more than a 4th liner (Hathaway)
b) expected to provide more and push for top 9 minutes

I think Hathaway has done his job just fine but the other 3 have higher expectations and haven't delivered so maybe he doesn't think it's fair he is the one who is singled out.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote