Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
Nice write-up Scorpion. One correction: Klimchuk played his junior hockey in Regina and Brandon, not in Kelowna under Huska.
Argh. I always mix up the Pats and Rockets. Thanks.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #22
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

No Mangiapane love? I like him to make the team this year.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 AM   #23
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Dube steals a spot out of camp. The kids a beauty and I think he's the best forward prospect we have and he seems to be ready. In regards to the extra forwards I think management will have reservations about exposing Lazar and Hathaway to waivers and they seem like the most logical guys to keep around as the 13/14th forwards.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Frolik - Ryan - Czarnik
Bennett - Jankowski - Dube
Lazar/Hathaway

Last edited by SeanCharles; 09-17-2018 at 03:04 AM.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #24
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yet another example of how ridiculously underrated Bennett is by some.
The fact of the matter is Sam Bennett is trending towards Oleg Saprykin/Chuck Kobasew territory. (sad but true )
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #25
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really hope Dube steals a spot this year, as others have alluded to it was last year where JG was super high on the kid and was shocked he didn't make the club (Thanks GG)

I feel he's in tough however this year based on the depth we have, and maybe they feel he's better off playing 1st line minutes in the AHL vs 4th line minutes in the NHL. Mind you I feel this year our roster lends itself to more of a 3a & 3b in terms of equal ice time than in previous roster seasons.

At least give him 10 games again and see what you've got, I feel he'd be a lot more productive on the NHL roster vs's the Hathaways, Lazars, Peluso's etc but I dont want him in the popcorn chair every other game.

Time will tell, its exciting and I look forward to the big clubs return from China to see how it all shakes out in the next few weeks.

Appreciate the write Scorp, very fair assessment across the board and cant see any glaring discrepancies in my mind!
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #26
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
The fact of the matter is Sam Bennett is trending towards Oleg Saprykin/Chuck Kobasew territory. (sad but true )
You know where he could actually be trending (from a hater perspective) is the guy you think can replace him the 31 year old Gilbert Burle. He was a top 5 pick with bite in his game and never panned out. Pretty ridiculous you think he can make Bennett expendable though and tough to take seriously.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #27
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting seeing the Bennett debate side by side with suggestions that Dube should make the team. Have we learned nothing? Send Dube to the AHL.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #28
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want Bennett to turn into the kid everyone thought he was, that just may not happen for a while...or even with the Flames for that matter. This is a crucial year, he will likely be given chances with high end players to see if they can "awaken the beast " in him even if he doesn't earn those chances. After this year he will have to work his way off of the bottom of the lineup. He's still good to have in the bottom 6 unless someone overpays for him in a trade.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #29
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I've taken top line out of the Bennett equation now for sure, and at least you're comparing Bennett to players and not busts, which is a healthier attitude than some.

Kobasew played 601 games and had 210 points.
Saprykin played 325 games and had 137 points.

But Bennet is already right between them in production so he doesn't have to get any better to be at that class. At 22 he doesn't need a whole lot more upside to move into a solid middle six role or better.

As I said I've removed the top line as a goal, but I've also removed "bust" as a floor as he's already exceeded that. I think he's best case impact 2nd line player, worst case average third liner.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #30
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd prefer Dube and Mangiapane starting in the AHL and competing for first call up. I think either would have to dominate during preseason to bump off any of the established guys.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #31
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think he's best case impact 2nd line player, worst case average third liner.
Another comparable and former Calgary 1st rounder is Sven Baertschi (although different style player)

Sam Bennett played 241 games and had 89 points.
Sven Baertschi played 259 games and had 122 points.

And then there is Mikael Backlund who produced at the same rate as Sam Bennett during his first 250ish games...

Mikael Backlund played 246 games and had 101 points.

The thing is, will Sam Bennett ever earn 2nd line minutes like Backlund in Calgary, or will he ever earn 1st line minutes like Baertschi in Vancouver?

Last edited by David Struch; 09-17-2018 at 09:35 AM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Bennett is already an established NHL player, just not at the level we all expected based on draft position. And that happens.

I am more interested to see where Dube fits into this picture. Clearly this guy is almost ready for the big show. However, I feel like he needs a bit of seasoning in the AHL just to get his feet wet with the pro game. No need to rush him given our current forward depth. But once he's up, who does he replace? If he can play wing, he should have no problem dethroning Hathaway or Lazar at the very least.

The other thing to consider is his waiver eligibility - which he is not, allowing him to go up and down more freely than others.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #33
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Interesting note from Dom Luszczyszyn's Athletic Flames preview on Bennett and Jankowski

Quote:
Bennett really struggled at the start of last season, but came into his own once he was put on a line with Jankowski. He posted a respectable 1.88 points-per-60 next to Jankowski last season and was at an ugly 0.73 otherwise. Similarly, Jankowski jumped from 0.77 to 1.41 with Bennett. Having to play with the other bottom six options when apart likely contributed to that.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #34
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard this question on the radio but they didn't have an answer.

What are the expansion draft risks if Dube starts playing full-time in the NHL this season? Assuming the same expansion draft rules as last time, when would the expansion draft have to be in order for Dube to become non-exempt?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #35
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You are misusing the word fact there
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote