Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #261
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the final episode where Tony goes to Bhutan, it was aired on Sunday but I just got around to watching it.

Great, great episode but I have to say, very bittersweet.

Anthony Bourdain will be sorely missed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #262
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I relistened to a podcast he did with Marc Maron (WTF) recently. Great interview for those interested.
ALways feel when you hear of famous people dying, especially when mental health/suicide involved - Bourdain hit me much harder than usual...
Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #263
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
I relistened to a podcast he did with Marc Maron (WTF) recently. Great interview for those interested.
ALways feel when you hear of famous people dying, especially when mental health/suicide involved - Bourdain hit me much harder than usual...
It kind of inspired me to watch the episode of Archer that Bourdain is in.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 PM   #264
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found this clip on YouTube of Chef Masa of the 3 Michelin star restaurant in New York, Masa, crying as he reminisced about Bourdain.

He seemed to touch so many people through his show. I also saw another clip a while ago when another food traveler told one of the owners of a noodle shop in Vietnam about Bourdain's death and she also broke down in tears.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 12:51 AM   #265
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
He seemed to touch so many people through his show. I also saw another clip a while ago when another food traveler told one of the owners of a noodle shop in Vietnam about Bourdain's death and she also broke down in tears.
Here it is...

Love the Lunch Lady. Tried her soup a few years ago (thanks to Bourdain) and then went back in February of this year. She doesn't speak any English, but my girlfriend explained to her that we saw her on No Reservations by showing her a screenshot from the show and her face lit up. After that, we couldn't get her to stop sending us free snacks.

Seeing her talk about him now is tough.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #266
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Long read, and somewhat difficult to wade through due to the way the article is formatted, but it provides an intriguing glimpse into who he was:

https://popula.com/2018/07/15/bourdain-confidential/
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #267
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Here it is...

Love the Lunch Lady. Tried her soup a few years ago (thanks to Bourdain) and then went back in February of this year. She doesn't speak any English, but my girlfriend explained to her that we saw her on No Reservations by showing her a screenshot from the show and her face lit up. After that, we couldn't get her to stop sending us free snacks.

Seeing her talk about him now is tough.
Thanks for sharing. 14:13 for those curious when she talks about what Anthony Bourdain means to her.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #268
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a heads up.

Tony’s last episode airs on Sunday, on CNN.

Even though I never meet him, it hurts my heart to know I will never go on another adventure with him.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #269
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Just a heads up.

Tony’s last episode airs on Sunday, on CNN.
I hope that the Lower East Side episode is better than the other last few episodes have been.

The Cajun Mardi Gras one was not his finest work---it didn't seem to me that even he wanted to be there---and the Indonesia episode was educational but disjointed. I've not watched the West Texas, Bhutan, or Kenya ones yet, however, so maybe those two episodes were just one-offs in terms of disappointment.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #270
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
I hope that the Lower East Side episode is better than the other last few episodes have been.

The Cajun Mardi Gras one was not his finest work---it didn't seem to me that even he wanted to be there---and the Indonesia episode was educational but disjointed. I've not watched the West Texas, Bhutan, or Kenya ones yet, however, so maybe those two episodes were just one-offs in terms of disappointment.
It seemed he didn't want to be there? You do realize why this thread exists, right?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #271
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It seemed he didn't want to be there? You do realize why this thread exists, right?
Not in Louisiana, no.

Or are you suggesting that he committed suicide because he did an episode in Louisiana and, as a result, believed that his entire life was a waste?

Or were you just trying to make a cheap, and rather stupid, joke?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #272
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This is nonsense. I was saying he was living with severe depression which is why he seemed disinterested with poor results in later episodes.

It wasn't his commitment, desire or skill for his show that brought upon poor results it was literally the desire to commit suicide overshadowing his every thought.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #273
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You have to remember these last series of episodes were not fully completed. There is not the usual Anthony Bourdain narration and some of it was even done by other people that appeared in the episodes.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #274
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not in Louisiana, no.

Or are you suggesting that he committed suicide because he did an episode in Louisiana and, as a result, believed that his entire life was a waste?

Or were you just trying to make a cheap, and rather stupid, joke?
Are you seriously this God damn slow?

Last edited by rubecube; 11-11-2018 at 09:55 AM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 AM   #275
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://youtu.be/rXCfSs_Vt6Q

Don’t know how to post YouTube. My bad.

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 11-10-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #276
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
https://youtu.be/rXCfSs_Vt6Q

Don’t know how to post YouTube. My bad.
Fun video, thanks

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #277
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, one would almost think his heart wasnt in it anymore and he was just going through the motions.

I wonder why that may be?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #278
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is nonsense. I was saying he was living with severe depression which is why he seemed disinterested with poor results in later episodes.

It wasn't his commitment, desire or skill for his show that brought upon poor results it was literally the desire to commit suicide overshadowing his every thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, one would almost think his heart wasnt in it anymore and he was just going through the motions.

I wonder why that may be?
My point was merely that, in my view, Bourdain did not seem to find Louisiana all that interesting. Perhaps he was doing that episode as a favor for someone. Perhaps he had higher expectations, but when he arrived and starting filming, he realized that there wasn’t going to be a lot of material to work with. Who knows?

And, for that matter, who knows if he was contemplating suicide at the time he was filming the Louisiana episode? As I recall, no one in his crew seemed to suggest that he was suicidal during any of the filming of any of the episodes, but maybe I’m misremembering things.

Not every episode of his has to be lauded as the best ever, nor do any of his lesser episodes (whichever those may be) need to be excused or rationalized as a consequence of Bourdain’s suicide. Some are just better than others, and some just aren’t worth watching, in my view, for whatever reason.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #279
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The Kenya episode is definitely worth watching. I've been avoiding the uncompleted episodes though.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #280
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is quite stark to me that Bourdain and Hemingway were the same age when they took their own life.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote