Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #861
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I would be interested to see how many hours were spent by companies in Toronto through the proposal process. What a joke.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #862
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
If the law applied to sports teams too, then athletes would only be getting 7-8 figure contracts I agree with a lot of the article in general, but Virginia didn't pay a whole lot (800 million or so). They are going to make that back in taxes in the first month or two in state income taxes and local taxes.
I also don't know how you stop cities and states from wanting to have companies who contribute a lot in taxes and in this case high paying (high taxes) jobs. I'm not a huge fan of corporate welfare, but it's tough to see it stopping when there's always going to be competition for head offices.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #863
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I also don't know how you stop cities and states from wanting to have companies who contribute a lot in taxes and in this case high paying (high taxes) jobs. I'm not a huge fan of corporate welfare, but it's tough to see it stopping when there's always going to be competition for head offices.
You should read Ocasio-Cortez's tweets. She and the people of her constituancy are outraged that Amazon is coming.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 AM   #864
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm not a huge fan of corporate welfare, but it's tough to see it stopping when there's always going to be competition for head offices.
That's kind of the point of the article. It's often not wrong for an individual city, but it's bad for society as a whole. So (en)forced collusion between jurisdictions is the solution.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #865
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the comments about this entire 2nd headquarters hunt being a big waste of time seem a little more accurate now that the New York half has been cancelled. No plan to find another 2nd half of the 2nd HQ

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/am...165803277.html
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #866
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Well, the comments about this entire 2nd headquarters hunt being a big waste of time seem a little more accurate now that the New York half has been cancelled. No plan to find another 2nd half of the 2nd HQ

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/am...165803277.html
Not too surprising. New York was giving them much more money than Virginia was. I think they wanted the DC area all along, and NY offered them too much to refuse, so they changed plans to go to two. The NOVA area can handle 50k employees, so I'm sure they'll build it with an eye to expand as needed. There was no reason to keep going with 2 locations if one was going to be met with resistance.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #867
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i wonder what this statement really means:

"...state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence and will not work with us to build the type of relationships that are required to go forward with the project we and many others envisioned in Long Island City"
Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #868
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

"...state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence and will not work with us to build the type of relationships that are required to go forward with the project we and many others envisioned in Long Island City"
I know what it means.
"NY was supposed to shut up, suck our D***s and pay us billions for the privilege"
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #869
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

it means some people don't have a general understanding of how tax breaks work or simple economics.

Here is progressive super star AOC suggesting that the 3 billion dollar tax incentives could be better spent elsewhere. Next level stupidity. To celebrate the loss of 25,000 jobs and all the spin off economic activity that comes with it and billions and billions of lost tax revenue over the years...just dangerous

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 02-16-2019 at 10:40 AM.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #870
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
it means some people don't have a general understanding of how tax breaks work or simple economics.

Here is progressive super star AOC suggesting that the 3 billion dollar tax incentives could be better spent elsewhere. Next level stupidity. To celebrate the loss of 25,000 jobs and all the spin off economic activity that comes with it and billions and billions of lost tax revenue over the years
Nobody’s voting for her because she’s smart. They’re voting for her because she’s outspoken.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #871
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Nobody’s voting for her because she’s smart. They’re voting for her because she’s outspoken.
reminds me of someone else
Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #872
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does NY really need Amazon? It’s not exactly flailing around on life support for white collar jobs that they need to give it $3b in tax incentives for another company that probably won’t pay its fair share in taxes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #873
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Here is progressive super star AOC suggesting that the 3 billion dollar tax incentives could be better spent elsewhere. Next level stupidity. To celebrate the loss of 25,000 jobs and all the spin off economic activity that comes with it and billions and billions of lost tax revenue over the years...just dangerous

Apparently though the infrastructure wasn't in place anyway to support all these jobs. I forget where I read that the schools in Long Island are all over capacity already and housing is an issue.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #874
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Trickle down doesn't work. Just get over it already.

Give amazon every break for what? Minimum pay jobs? Whatever. These tax breaks have done nothing but created corruption and enriched the already wealthy.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #875
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Trickle down doesn't work. Just get over it already.
Works better than anything else that has been tried. Capitalism is the single biggest poverty lifter ever. A observable fact.

Quote:
Give amazon every break for what? Minimum pay jobs?

Wrong

Quote:
Amazon will pay HQ2 employees an average of $150,000
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/13/amaz...nashville.html

Quote:
Whatever. These tax breaks have done nothing but created corruption and enriched the already wealthy.
Seems like just a talking point. There are a litany of reasons people become wealthy. Care to share some proof?

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 02-16-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #876
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Does NY really need Amazon? It’s not exactly flailing around on life support for white collar jobs that they need to give it $3b in tax incentives for another company that probably won’t pay its fair share in taxes.
Quote:
Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday that state income tax revenues plummeted by $2.3 billion since he introduced his new budget plan last month — a bombshell that will force him to curb spending.
https://nypost.com/2019/02/04/cuomo-...opped-by-2-3b/

they kinda do...the tax revenue would of helped. Now they have nothing.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #877
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Works better than anything else that has been tried. Capitalism is the single biggest poverty lifter ever. A observable fact.
Yes it does. 800 million people in china have been lifted out of poverty because of China’s economic success over the last few decades.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #878
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully trickle down and capitalism aren't synonymous. Also thankfully i don't think anyone here is stupid enough to believe they are. Right?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #879
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wrong

Seems like just a talking point. There are a litany of reasons people become wealthy. Care to share some proof?

These tax brakes just encourage a race to the bottom from competing cities transferring more and more burden onto individuals.

A job created in New York is not more valuable than a job created in Washington. These jurisdictions shouldn’t be competing for these jobs with eachother. These jobs are not created as a result of the tax breaks the jobs are created from global demand for Amazons services.

It is also likely that the current mega corporations are the cause of the decrease in new business startups in the United States. These large monopolies and oligopolies are not good for society and shouldn’t be given tax breaks to encourage their further dominance.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #880
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Wrong

I see that you really believe the Reagan doctrine, but if you look at the results of his changes it's pretty clear that it doesnt work. It wiped out middle class.

And do you really need me to provide proof that there is corruption between big business and politicians? It's pretty much what politics is now days. Pampering your campaign contributors. Followed by gravy jobs in private sector. This goes for both sides BTW, not singling out the Republicans here. Corruption at its finest.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote