Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #221
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I love one of the replies to that:

"Surely if more people had opened fire in a dark, crowded, and smoky space, fewer people would have died."

America is great.
Not to mention, a lot of people in that bar at that time were...drunk. Which is a great thing to add to a dark, crowded, smoky space shootout...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #222
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

There was a clip on the news tonight from an American channel (I think Boston?) where they talked to the owner of a club who said they had a strict no-weapon ban in their club, so he hoped something like that wouldn't happen there.

I got thinking.........you need to tell people not to bring guns into your club? Like, they don't know that already?

Pretty sad sign of the times.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #223
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a sad sign of the times when people think their constitution makes their lame and useless hobby mean more than other peoples lives. What’s so great about having a gun anyway and why do people there want everyone else to have one too?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 AM   #224
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
U got the name wrong of tge shooter. Cody coffman is the victim.

His father's video just made me ball my eyes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
That is incorrect, he was one of the victims.
Thanks, I have just corrected it in the original post, Ian David Long is the shooter. My apologies, I logged off shortly after posting that information.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!

Last edited by hwy19man; 11-09-2018 at 01:42 AM.
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:25 AM   #225
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

That clip from Ari Melber, in the politics thread touches on a very interesting point of gun control. 9/10 Americans want some sort of gun control. Where gun control gets snuffed is in the Senate. The senate has a disproportionate amount of power sitting in the hands of small red states with rural constituents. Wyoming has as much say as California. So, until that changes, those small red states dngaf about gun violence at gay clubs in big cities, or any other mass shootings. They just want their guns.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:18 AM   #226
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

the Coulter tweet is beyond stupid... Mass shootings have also happened at Fort Hood and other locations where guns have been available to 'fight back'.

Everyone thinks they would 'be the hero', but things get real when you hear the crack of an AR-15 or are starting down the barrel of a pistol firing indiscriminately while mass panic ensues all around you.

in those first few minutes, virtually everyone is in scramble mode, unless you have training or have served in the police or military
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #227
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
There was a clip on the news tonight from an American channel (I think Boston?) where they talked to the owner of a club who said they had a strict no-weapon ban in their club, so he hoped something like that wouldn't happen there.

I got thinking.........you need to tell people not to bring guns into your club? Like, they don't know that already?

Pretty sad sign of the times.
I was reading a discussion about that and several people said they’d boycott a bar that prohibited guns.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #228
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
I just want to know how many dead it will take? 20 1st and 2nd graders don’t work. Over 50 at a country concert don’t work. How many will it take? Is there a certain number it’s gonna take?
My somewhat cynical view is that once "the Brown people" start intentionally shooting and killing more Whites (as opposed to killing their own or randomly doing so), then the whites of America will suddenly clamor for gun control, but only in a way that it affects the brown people of the country.

America was founded on violence and racism, and on the allegedly superiority of wealthy, landed white men. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that, some 240 years later, the wealthy, landed white men continue to do whatever they can to keep their control and power, whether through electoral rigging, packing the courts, or otherwise.

---

That said, on the 60 Minutes episode last Sunday regarding bleed packs, there was some pretty compelling video footage that students took while they were inside a classroom getting shot up. Lots of screams, lots of panic, etc.

Someone running a gun control campaign should compile all of that video footage--along with some from Las Vegas, from Borderline, from wherever---and just run a two minute long commercial (during the Super Bowl would be great, hint, hint) that is nothing but a minute and a half of shots ringing out and people screaming. And then the remaining half minute can be of all of the politicians saying "thoughts and prayers" and "now is not the time to discuss guns" and voting down gun control legislation.

Done properly, such a commercial could be pretty compelling and just might change the national conversation.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #229
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Done properly, such a commercial could be pretty compelling and just might change the national conversation.
You need to change the conversation in the senate, that is the problem. The national conversation is already there.

Here is the clip I mentioned above, lifted from the other thread. go to 6:54 and watch for about half minute.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Maybe in a nation of sane people, that would work. You may turn a few people, but you aren't going to move the needle much with an ad.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #231
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
My somewhat cynical view is that once "the Brown people" start intentionally shooting and killing more Whites (as opposed to killing their own or randomly doing so), then the whites of America will suddenly clamor for gun control, but only in a way that it affects the brown people of the country.

America was founded on violence and racism, and on the allegedly superiority of wealthy, landed white men. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that, some 240 years later, the wealthy, landed white men continue to do whatever they can to keep their control and power, whether through electoral rigging, packing the courts, or otherwise.

---

That said, on the 60 Minutes episode last Sunday regarding bleed packs, there was some pretty compelling video footage that students took while they were inside a classroom getting shot up. Lots of screams, lots of panic, etc.

Someone running a gun control campaign should compile all of that video footage--along with some from Las Vegas, from Borderline, from wherever---and just run a two minute long commercial (during the Super Bowl would be great, hint, hint) that is nothing but a minute and a half of shots ringing out and people screaming. And then the remaining half minute can be of all of the politicians saying "thoughts and prayers" and "now is not the time to discuss guns" and voting down gun control legislation.

You are right. But there is a certain detail that oft gets overlooked in the conversation.

States control their own gun laws.

The ONLY way to make gun control laws effective is they need to be federal laws. If the federal government even hinted at beginning that process of controlling guns, the states & individuals would take them to court so fast, and no judge would ever rule in favor of the feds overstsepping their bounds.

Therein lies the problem and America will forever have a gun problem.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #232
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
My experience has been all people are, at times, idiots, for some those 'at times' times are only a few in a lifetime, getting canned unfairly, finding your wife shtuping your buddy etc.

Then there are some who's 'at times' number several a week, getting cut off in the car, missing a bus, having your mum disconnect the wifi.

Bottom line there isnt a person on earth, including myself, I would trust with a gun.
Good post, people snap and have been doing so for eons, snap with your fist you might get an assault charge, snap in a fight with your wife you might get an assault charge and divorce, snap with a gun. loose everything including freedom.

Human beings are violent, why give them tools to harm each other on a large scale?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #233
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The shooter mocked Americans and their "thoughts and prayers" response to gun control before he died. The deplorables are already using this as proof the shooter was a lib who targeted conservatives at a conservative hangout spot (country & western bar).

Quote:
In a chilling final Facebook post, the war vet who massacred 12 people in a California bar ranted about mass shootings and the “hopes and prayers” commonly offered to victims after them, according to a report.

“I hope they call me insane… (laughing emojis) wouldn’t that just be a big ball of irony?” Ian David Long, 28, wrote around the time of Wednesday’s attack, law enforcement officials told CNN.

“Yeah… I’m insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is ‘hopes and prayers’.. or ‘keep you in my thoughts’… every time… and wonder why these keep happening…”

Authorities told the outlet the post was made by Long, but the shooter’s Facebook account or other posts haven’t been previously reported.
https://nypost.com/2018/11/09/ian-da...-bar-shooting/
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #234
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shooting in Tennessee leaves 2 dead, 4 injured
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/shooting-in-tennessee-leaves-2-dead-4-injured/ar-BBPzixs?li=AAggFp5&ocid=mailsignout
Old 11-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #235
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That link isn't working, here is the story:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tenness...ng-2018-11-11/
Old 11-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #236
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

At another bar shooting near Chicago, cops shoot and kill a security guard who had the gunman on the ground

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/us/se...ago/index.html

This would probably be a bigger story, except the security guard is black. If he was white the NRA would be up in arms about a "good guy with a gun" being killed for no reason, but then again if he was white the cops wouldn't have shot him to begin with
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #237
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
At another bar shooting near Chicago, cops shoot and kill a security guard who had the gunman on the ground

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/us/se...ago/index.html

This would probably be a bigger story, except the security guard is black. If he was white the NRA would be up in arms about a "good guy with a gun" being killed for no reason, but then again if he was white the cops wouldn't have shot him to begin with
That is disappointing ... unfortunate for sure.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #238
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Arrests have been made in this heretofore unsolved murder of 8 people.

4 arrests made in connection with Rhoden family murders in Pike County, Ohio

https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/4-...500402121.html

Quote:
Eight members of the Rhoden family -- seven adults and a teenage boy -- were shot "execution-style" at four homes near Piketon, about 90 miles north of Cincinnati in rural Ohio, on the night of April 21-22, 2016.

Now, more than 2 1/2 years after the slayings, four arrests have been made.

Four members of the Wagner family, of South Webster, were taken into custody Tuesday afternoon. They are charged with planning and carrying out the killings.

George "Billy" Wagner III, 47; Angela Wagner, 48; George Wagner IV, 27; and Edward "Jake" Wagner, 26 have been arrested.

The Wagners have been on the radar of federal authorities since the summer of 2017, but investigators had always stopped short of calling them suspects. They were longtime friends with the Rhodens who lived in nearby Peebles, Ohio, at the time of the killings but later moved to Alaska.

Edward "Jake" Wagner was also the ex-boyfriend of Hannah Rhoden -- one of the eight dead -- and the father of one of her 2-year-old child. The pair were in a custody dispute at the time of the killings.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #239
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1062456354730926081
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #240
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

How has no one posted Ann Coulter getting ####ing owned? Few days old, but the ####gobblin got it good.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1061368733229309952
https://twitter.com/user/status/1061390460474798081