Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2015, 06:06 AM   #101
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
ROBOT RESTAURANT. Seriously. Get reservations after you arrive. Eat before you go.
Came to post this, but it's worth posting again. On his Parts Unknown Tokyo episode, Anthony Bourdain calls it the greatest show he's ever seen. I can't disagree.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #102
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

looks amazing

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #103
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
looks amazing
Oh hell, yes it is. Was there a few days ago and we might go again just for giggles before we leave.

What little English is in the show is amazingly terrible too. Can only make the small quibble about the numerous "popcorn" breaks.

Don't go if you are epileptic though. You'll be dead in the first 10 seconds.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #104
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

lol! Wow that is a must see then.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #105
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I hate the fact tall people have an issue in Japan with hostels and even hotels. How big of an issue is that, if I want to go on a budget?

Traveling with someone who is 6'6", I worried about this, but when I made reservations I actually looked into the bed size so it wouldn't be an issue. In Tokyo we stayed at a western-style hotel and he had a slightly larger than double bed to himself, and in Kyoto we rented from Airbnb and the place had a queen, so it was okay. I'd just do some research before you go.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ae118 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #106
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbsey-123 View Post
Went to Japan for 10 days in '07.

Hotels are a rip off and many of them have a curfew....if you are out past the curfew then you will be locked out for the night.

....avoid Tokyo at all costs if you can....the place is a maze and nothing really too special...

The hardest part to deal with is ordering food.....many menus are just a bunch of Japanese writing with no pics.
Not sure if it's a matter of how long it's been since you've gone but I haven't really experienced the above.

A curfew - never had to deal with one. Never even heard of one before you mentioned it. And hotel prices seem pretty reasonable versus the rest of the world I've been to. Mind you, I'm not trying to go super cheap.

And avoid Tokyo? What?! Hell no!

Most menus are pretty easy. Most we've come across are either illustrated and a lot even have the fake food menu out front even with the out of the way back alley places. Lots of places even openly have signs telling you they have an English menu if you want. Hell, there is a massive industry in the country making fake food menus. You're even starting to see them popup outside of Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_food_in_Japan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #107
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
lol! Wow that is a must see then.
It really is, the craziness of the video is amplified even further by the absurdly small size of the room the show takes place in.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #108
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
It really is, the craziness of the video is amplified even further by the absurdly small size of the room the show takes place in.
Yeah, the room is basically a long hallway stage with seats on both sides. Kinda like a hot dog with the buns being where the seats are. The seats are in batches of two with four rows deep.

From what we could tell, it looks like seats closer to the front row were given to people who grabbed tickets earlier and also bought meals with their ticket. We never had a choice to pick the seat but liked the seats at the top row. Lots of the "floats" were pretty tall and we probably got better pictures with the seats we had.

They're also more than happy to sell you drinks in the waiting area if you come to the show early. The walk down into the stage was pretty bright and crazy too. You'd probably want to have your camera out for picks.

EDIT: I also think they hand out noise reducing headphones for kids. Some crazy granny got a front row seat during our show. No way I'd sit in the front row in hindsight. You can certainly high five the gals and guys but it looked kinda sketchy there. You might eat one of the protruding robots, legs, floats, snakes, machine guns, etc. sitting there.

Last edited by chemgear; 03-18-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #109
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I agree with chemgear on Tokyo. It was great. Tons to do and see. It's just very different from elsewhere.

I slightly preferred the feel of Kyoto, maybe because it was smaller and we stayed right in Gion.

We really wanted to go to the Robot Restaurant but we looked at the videos and figured it would terrify the living $@&( out of small children, so we passed. For the ninja restaurant, I think you need reservations in advance.

You can buy fake plastic food like they have in restaurant windows even, if you want to own realistic plastic food of pretty much any variety.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ae118 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #110
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, the room is basically a long hallway stage with seats on both sides. Kinda like a hot dog with the buns being where the seats are. The seats are in batches of two with four rows deep.

From what we could tell, it looks like seats closer to the front row were given to people who grabbed tickets earlier and also bought meals with their ticket. We never had a choice to pick the seat but liked the seats at the top row. Lots of the "floats" were pretty tall and we probably got better pictures with the seats we had.

They're also more than happy to sell you drinks in the waiting area if you come to the show early. The walk down into the stage was pretty bright and crazy too. You'd probably want to have your camera out for picks.

EDIT: I also think they hand out noise reducing headphones for kids. Some crazy granny got a front row seat during our show. No way I'd sit in the front row in hindsight. You can certainly high five the gals and guys but it looked kinda sketchy there. You might eat one of the protruding robots, legs, floats, snakes, machine guns, etc. sitting there.
Yeah we sat in the back row as well and it was great. All we could think about the front row was "wow, they'd never allow people to sit that close in North America"... actually the whole room is kind of a death trap if there was a fire... it's fantastic.

God Japan is great, I can't wait to go back.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #111
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured I would bump this thread. Flying into Tokyo and spending 12 days in Japan in the spring with the family (4 of us). It's our first trip, so is it worth staying in Tokyo or should we travel to different cities like Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima? Would there be enough different things to do in those places (that we wouldn't experience near or in Tokyo) that would makes the rail travel for the 4 of us worth moving around?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #112
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

12 days? Absolutely get out of Tokyo for a few days. Take the JR trains to Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima. The famous Torii Gate is there, and if you're an outdoor type, the hike up Myajima is worth it.

Also, get a one week JR pass before going; totally worth it if you are taking more than 1-2 trains.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #113
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
12 days? Absolutely get out of Tokyo for a few days. Take the JR trains to Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima. The famous Torii Gate is there, and if you're an outdoor type, the hike up Myajima is worth it.

Also, get a one week JR pass before going; totally worth it if you are taking more than 1-2 trains.

How much time is good to stay in Tokyo and then out of the city? I am only worried about splitting up the trip too much that it gets too diluted when checking out the other cities. Would something like 5 in Tokyo, 2 in Osaka, 2 in Kyoto, 2 in Hiroshima and then back to Tokyo to finish up. We would like to do some hiking, I wasn't sure if it was too early in the spring. I know Fuji is inaccessible until later.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #114
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I figured I would bump this thread. Flying into Tokyo and spending 12 days in Japan in the spring with the family (4 of us). It's our first trip, so is it worth staying in Tokyo or should we travel to different cities like Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima? Would there be enough different things to do in those places (that we wouldn't experience near or in Tokyo) that would makes the rail travel for the 4 of us worth moving around?
i am super jealous... was there last year, and found it to be truly an amazing, weirdly fascinating place... totally missed the Robot Restaurant though!

i think the JR passes now allow you to passage on the bullet trains (a couple of people i went with arranged everything, so i am not 100% sure)

the Senjosi Temple is pretty amazing, and i think there's typically a market right next to it that pretty cool... the Meiji Shrine is also really beautiful...

the Golden pavillion is in Kyoto, so you'd have to go out of town on one of the Shinkansen (bullet trains)... but you'll need to catch a bus from Kyoto station...ideally, you'll have exact change for the buses!

The Nezu Museum of Fine arts is in Tokyo; the museum itself is very beautiful, but the garden on the grounds is really spectacular... esp this time of year, as the leaves will just be turning color...

Best piece of advice i would give is that you have to get a Pasmo card, for the subways...its like a prepaid debit card you use in the turnstiles... if you don't have enough left on your card as you exit the station, just back track to one of the machines to recharge your cards...

also, there's a difference between the trains; some use pasmo (so you can used your card in a machine) but if you are going to a JR rail, you have to pass through the JR ticket office (just hold up your pass to the attendant as you pass by)...these can all be part of one station, so it can be a tad disorientating

Definitely get a international package for your phones, like a big data plan, as using google to navigate makes it pretty simple... OR consider renting a pocket mobile wifi unit for the week...basically a wireless router you can rent (so you won't need a additional data plan if you do this)...it's a great deal and you'll have solid internet during your entire stay (for your whole family)... there's a couple in the airport so you can pick one up there when you land and return it when you leave...definitely recommended

oh, make you keep your garbage with you until you find a trash bin (which are few and far between), littering is a definite no no.... and loud talking on subway trains is frowned upon... tons of hilarious signs in the subway stations.

again super jealous...loved it there

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 11-12-2018 at 09:27 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #115
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Doing a 14 day trip in April next year as well, starting in Tokyo for 5 days, then staying in Osaka and doing Osaka/Kyoto for 6 days, then staying in Hiroshima for 3 days. Definitely split up the trip, don't stay in Tokyo for that long.

I recommend booking accommodations soon. A lot of the ones with decent prices or in good locations are already gone. Depends what style you are looking for though, we went with a combination of hotel, hostel and airbnb. As for wifi, I'm finding when I was booking that a lot of the places included a pocket wifi device for you to use.

What type of things are interesting to you? Museums? Temples? Hikes? Photo/scenic areas?

I'm already planning a second trip for fall/winter in Hokkaido, I think that would be spectacular.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 11-12-2018 at 10:04 PM.
BlackArcher101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #116
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you are traveling to Kyoto, make sure you take a 1-day side trip to Nara. It is less "city-sy" there. And on Sundays, the town kind-of shutdown as they let the reindeers run onto the streets from the mountain nearby...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #117
CETokyo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I am a bit biased as I live in Tokyo.
I think you can see an incredible amount of what is Japan from just Tokyo and area.
Tokyo has a lot of ....everything.
Old and new; trendy and traditional; busy and quiet, etc.
Kamakura is a day trip from Tokyo and has a lot of Temples and Shrines and scenery.
Kyoto is worth visiting for the traditional cultural sights.
I like Fushimi Inari (go early in the day to avoid the crowds)
Osaka is good but not super different than Tokyo.
If you get a JR Rail pass the travel costs can be reasonable - the return train trip to Kyoto is roughly equal to the cost of the 1week rail pass.
I have never been to the Robot Cafe.
The food in Japan is great and varied.
Even without an English menu or pictures, you can still have a great meal even if you just order what the people around you are ordering.
Most places are reasonably priced but look at the prices to be sure it's not crazily high (which does exist also).
Try neighbourhoods like Shimokitazawa; Yanaka/Nezu/Sendagi; Kagurazaka;
Baseball at Jingu Stadium (when in season)
Near Tokyo - Kamakura; Nikko; Kawagoe
How old are children? Ghibli Museum (have to book in advance); Kidzania; Joypolis
The Pocket WiFi (Ninja WiFI) works really well and forYen900 per day it is by far the most cost efficient way to stay connected.
Have a fun trip
CETokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CETokyo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 AM   #118
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Excuse me if this is long winded, but I'm just going to rattle off a bunch of thoughts, suggestions, and a bit of travel advice mixed together.

I went last fall and it was incredible. Coming up with a travel plan really depends what you want to see, are you after shopping and all the glamour of a big city? Tokyo and Osaka are the places to be for that. Are you after scenery and monuments? There's incredible places across the whole country. My group opted for a bit of both.

I was there for about 18 days (not including travel), and what my group did was get the 7 day tourist-only Shinkansen (bullet train) pass. Yes it's damn pricy, but it's absolutely worth it if you want to see a bunch of places, and will save you a ton of money in doing so compared to paying the full train price from city to city. We went across the mainland starting in Hiroshima, trying to experience a little bit of a bunch of different cities with our final destination being Tokyo. (The scenery from the train as you crossed city to city was incredible too.)

If you want endless history, there's places like Kyoto and Nara with pretty much the most amazing ancient temples and gardens you could find there. Nara for example had Tōdai-ji which was a beautiful park and 1300 year old temple, it was an impressive structure to say the least. The same area was also overrun with tame deer that people could interact with safely, definitely unique considering the fear our Alberta deer have of us. It just added another unique layer to the place.

Nara, Kyoto and Osaka are all very close to each other so it makes planning a few days around them easy, and all have something different to offer. Osaka was an absolutely beautiful big city, the flashiest and most glamorous big city in Japan, for sure, and places like Dotonbori in downtown Osaka were very cool evening/night shopping experiences with a unique setting and great market streets all over. Shinsekai was another very cool Osaka market experience, though that one was largely food shops. Also in Osaka, Osaka castle was a great place to visit, beautiful castle and park with a lovely museum inside.

Hiroshima was a nice city, we saw the Genbaku Dome (the famous building that got pummeled by the atomic bomb yet stayed standing and became an iconic reminder of the devastation of nuclear war), and the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum was extremely interesting, and powerful, though very sad. A less sad thing right near Hiroshima though was the island of Itsukushima, a national park with some great shops and it's particularly famous for its "floating" torii gate and shrine. That one alone made for a great day trip. There's even a small aquarium on the island with local sea creatures. Itsukushima was another place with tame deer all over the park, even friendlier than the Nara deer, it was awesome.

Tokyo, as to be expected, had a ton of stuff that you could do. One of the better places we saw there was the Sunshine City mall, which contained a bunch of great food, some decent shopping, as well as a world class aquarium, the Tokyo Sunshine Aquarium. About a block away from Sunshine City was a giant Sega arcade on the outskirts of the Ikebukuro district's shopping area, with stores of all kinds.

Also in Tokyo, the Shinjuku district had stuff like the robot bar as people mentioned above (it's very expensive so we didn't go in). Right near that were good food and drink areas like Omoide Yokocho and Golden Gai.

If you've got kids or enjoy anime, video games, toys, etc. the Tokyo neighborhood of Akihabara is a must. There's arcades all over, world class toy stores like Mandarake Complex, and lots of other miscellaneous fun shops. About 5 blocks over from Akihabara was the Ochanomizu neighborhood which had decent shopping, particularly music shops if that's your thing. A few blocks in the other direction from Akihabara was the impressive Yodobashi mall, like 9 floors of every kind of shopping imagineable, and some great food shops there too.

One thing with travelling Japan is that it doesn't need to be overly expensive at every turn, you can eat good food at reasonable prices pretty much anywhere, convenience stores at every turn, food stands, and even most restaurants themselves were pretty reasonable. It's when you start trying to find really good sushi places or wagyu beef or things like that it'll get really expensive quick.

One other thing I can think of, we didn't stay at an actual hotel at any point during our time in Japan, as we used airbnb rentals. There are many out there at great prices, and it helped us cut our costs way down for our trip, just pick places to stay that are within a reasonable travel distance from attractions you'd be interested in seeing.

It was a remarkable trip overall, and I definitely want to go again at some point. There's so much that can be done outside of the few things I've mentioned, it's worth making a big list of the things that your group might find interesting, for when you happen to be in that area.

Hope I could help just a little bit. If you've got any questions or anything, just throw me a PM and I'd gladly try to answer whatever it may be.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #119
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in Hokkaido (Sapporo) and Tokyo a few weeks ago and really enjoyed both places, though they're very different experiences. The seafood in Hokkaido is amazing, as is the miso ramen, but a few days there would be enough. Flights are fairly reasonable, but your time may be better spent closer to Tokyo (Kyoto and possibly Nagano to see the snow monkies).

The Robot Restaurant is still worth going to, but it's a bit tamer/more family-friendly than it was a few years ago. Not that it was ever too risque, but there used to be a lot more dancing girls in bikinis, for better or worse. In the same neighborhood, I'd recommend Jinomaru Yakiniku for some delicious grill-it-yourself Japanese beef.

Other food highlights in Tokyo are Ton Ton Yakitori (a recommendation from Anthony Bourdain), Akaoni sake bar in Sangenjaya (a recommendation from a Japanese stripper I used to know), Sarashina Horii soba (Bourdain), Butagumi tonkatsu (stripper), and Fukuzushi sushi.

Last edited by gargamel; 11-13-2018 at 10:47 PM.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #120
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry wall of text incoming:

TL; DR - Japan is super awesome. There are things you can do to make your trip even more awesome.

Spoiler!

Japan is super awesome. I would love to go back to visit the rest of the country.

I also think there's another Japan thread somewhere that is more recent than this thread. That one is also worth digging up for additional tips.

Last edited by DoubleF; 11-14-2018 at 08:27 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: