Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Moderator Team

Just a quick note on some of the flack our moderators have taken on the site of late.

First off understand this is a volunteer position, provided by a group of people that love hockey, the team and the web site. They're not providing their time to get critiqued or abused by those that disagree with them on posts that the moderators feel need to be removed or edited.

We all have different standards on what is and what isn't objectionable, but this isn't a majority rule, it's moderating to protect each of you from yourselves, and also help those that have a justifiable problem with something they find steps over the line.

The site has to be held to a standard where people feel free to drop by and talk hockey and not be put in a situation where they feel uncomfortable, awkward or in worse cases objectified or generalized.

I know people mean well and the site has always been known for it's passion and emotion, but please go easy on our moderation team.

Thanks

DM
The Following 149 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
3rd line Grinder, 3thirty, 420since1974, 81MC, afc wimbledon, alan21, Allos, Anduril, Anti-Hero, apiquard, Ashartus, automaton 3, badger89, bc-chris, BeltlineFan, ben voyonsdonc, Benched, bigtmac19, BloodFetish, Bohica, Bonecrushing Hits, Boreal, brocoli, bubbsy, calculoso, calf, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, carom, CedarMeter, ColoradoFlamesFan, CroFlames, cupofjoe, Cycling76er, D as in David, DaQwiz, dash_pinched, DazzlinDino, deejay829, DeluxeMoustache, Dion, Dorky Pigs, drewtastic, EldrickOnIce, Enoch Root, FanIn80, Finger Cookin, firebug, flambers, Flamesfan2010, flamesfever, FlamesNation23, flamesrule_kipper34, flame^thrower, Flashpoint, FlatLandFlamesFan, foofighter15, fotiou22, Francis's Hairpiece, Freddy, Fredrik, Freeway, Frequitude, Funkhouser, Gallick, Gaskal, Gaudfather, getbak, GioforPM, GirlySports, GreenHardHat, Greybeard, handgroen, HermMunster, Huntingwhale, Iceman57, iggy_oi, ignite09, Itse, jaikorven, jaymac106, Jbo, Jiggy_12, Jiri Hrdina, Jordan!, Julio, kbvall, Kipper is King, kkaleR, klikitiklik, Looch City, Mazrim, midniteowl, Minnie, mrkajz44, Mustache, Nandric, OBCT, octothorp, OldDutch, OldSam, oxygen, Party Elephant, Playfair, prarieboy, Press Level, PsYcNeT, PugnaciousIntern, Puppet Guy, Radio, redforever, RedHotC, Redlan, REDVAN, Reggie Dunlop, ricosuave, roberts10, rogermexico, Ryan Coke, smoothskatingbrodie, socalwingfan, SOMBRI, Split98, StAlbertFlame, starseed, Stillman16, Stochansky, stone hands, StrykerSteve, Stupid, Superfraggle, taxbuster, The Hendog, the2bears, TheFlamesVan, TheIronMaiden, TheScorpion, Thor, thymebalm, tkflames, Toonage, Torture, tripin_billie, troutman, Unlucky Puck, wired, woob, wwkayaker, zockey
Old 11-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think you guys need to rotate. The same people doing it for too long is a bad idea. Biases and preconceptions develop, even with the best intentions. You do your little bit of time, and then you get out. Like prison, or a condo board.

I'm sure many people would step forward to assist.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

CaptainCrunch moderator and evil Emperor.

Has a ring to it.

But seriously, Moderating is as much painful as it is subjective, even if you set up the most well defined rules, someone will always try to find a way to find a rule that wasn't defined.

A lot of boards, my Stamps board included used to take a lot of pride in things like free and open discussions, and letting the users self moderate to an extent, I mean hey that's why the ignore list is there. But it never works out well. And as a moderator you hate putting your footdown, or dropping the ban hammer because that user might be a great person and a great poster who had a bad day, or just can't get along with another poster and does something so outside the realm that you don't have a choice but to perma ban the person, and you feel like absolute crap afterwards.

I think the mods here do a great job, they're not over the top, they're polite, and I bet all of them have 6 pack abs and epic mullets.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My post in the rgmg thread seems relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I might not be a fan of the way this site is moderated, and I've never exactly kept thst a secret. But what I do know from years of running my own busy site/forum is whatever your mods do, however loosely or tightly you moderate things, about 10-15% of the community will hate the way you're doing it. It's truly a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Love them or hate them, cut them some slack and address concerns via the appropriate channels. You can't be surprised when someone is defensive when you attack them
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The mods here are fine. I have no strong feelings on them as a whole. Have there been decisions they've made that I've disagreed with? Oh, for sure. But that's always going to be the case in places like, and I can't fathom anything constructive amounting from public criticism of them. If you have problems, that's fine -- tell them, but honestly, I think the general sentiment here if you try and force your problems with them upon other posters is, "uh, I don't care".

Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is just a fact that in 2017 freedom of speech is a thing of the past. The sooner people realize this the sooner we can move on.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is the inconsistency in the moderation of the board. I get they are volunteers and not getting any benefit for doing it and good on them but their is absolutely a problem with certain longtime posters being able to cross the line with no repercussions at all or ignoring of reports when some of the more outspoken members who do not agree with the masses gets piled on. Don't say we don't know if that person got an infraction or not, it doesn't matter when the offending post is left up after being reported. There is certainly bias on this board, there are members that have more board privileges than I have because I asked for my account to be deleted and then after a break I came back. So I took time off and asked to be brought back under a new name so I could avoid old conflicts but that was not allowed, I was to return as dissentowner and to stick to the FOI board and to not let posters bait me into arguing, the mods would do their job. Except they didn't, I had more than one post I reported that was left up after a poster baited me. Then I post an opinion in the OTB, break no rules, get piled on, and now I am not allowed to post in the OTF because that was much easier than addressing the piling on that had sprung up in that thread. So to review I was never suspended, I suspended myself, I came back as myself instead of the many other posters who were lifetime suspended from the board and then made an account under a different name and returned, yet I have less privileges than they have. I can't go to the OTB and talk about presents I am getting my kids or the Video game thread I started for what? But yes, no bias at all.... I don't care if you give me an infraction for crossing the line and breaking the rules, if I deserve it I deserve it but CALL IT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE! If you are going to enforce the rules enforce them the proper way, nip the problem in the bud before it gets carried away, and make it the same for everyone!

End rant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
It is just a fact that in 2017 freedom of speech is a thing of the past. The sooner people realize this the sooner we can move on.
That tremor just felt throughout the land? That was the rolling of thousands of eyes, picked up by seismographs everywhere.

This isn't a democracy. It's a benevolent dictatorship, really, like every group/forum/discussion board anywhere. And if you (general you, not specific you) post here, it's an accepted reality that there are going to be rules or guidelines and they are administered at the discretion of the owner/administrator/moderators. Deal with it, or move on. This forum is massive and has done very well for many many years and will likely continue on, doing well. One or two people who throw a strop (a highly ironic strop which is particularly amusing) and stomp off are not going to be missed. And, snark on someone long enough, throwing BS at them, making claims manufactured from either the thin blue air or from between the slightly rounded globes of their arse, I absolutely don't blame those tasked with adminning/moderating this forum, for their slightly spicy responses. And by slightly spicy, I mean hardly snarky at all, given some of the responses I've seen from admins and mods on other groups over the years. They're human, and rag on them long enough, I'm not surprised they might be somewhat short in their responses.

Last edited by Minnie; 11-15-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't care if you give me an infraction for crossing the line and breaking the rules, if I deserve it I deserve it but CALL IT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE! If you are going to enforce the rules enforce them the proper way, nip the problem in the bud before it gets carried away, and make it the same for everyone!

End rant.
Yeah man, those damn zebras just handing the other team PP's like candy! As if special teams weren't bad enough, the other team gets freebies when Bennett sneezes and gets a 5 min major!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Relevant xkcd, not just to you.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
That tremor just felt throughout the land? That was the rolling of thousands of eyes, picked up by seismographs everywhere.

This isn't a democracy. It's a benevolent dictatorship, really, like every group/forum/discussion board anywhere. And if you (general you, not specific you) post here, it's an accepted reality that there are going to be rules or guidelines and they are administered at the discretion of the owner/administrator/moderators. Deal with it, or move on. This forum is massive and has done very well for many many years and will likely continue on, doing well. One or two people who throw a strop (a highly ironic strop which is particularly amusing) and stomp off are not going to be missed. And, snark on someone long enough, throwing BS at them, making claims manufactured from either the thin blue air or from between the slightly rounded globes of their arse, I absolutely don't blame those tasked with adminning/moderating this forum, with slightly spicy responses. And by slightly spicy, I mean hardly snarky at all, given some of the responses I've seen from admins and mods on other groups over the years. They're human, and rag on them long enough, I'm not surprised they might be somewhat short in their responses.
wat?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiku View Post
Don't question the mods
Text says shut up, kevan rude
Time for a shake up?

Good posters punted
Bad posters remain untouched
What happened, Bingo?

Mods All Old Boys Club
Bitter Angry, Smiles Gone
Not a job guys, relax

expect infraction
instead of discussion
website dying, sad
I forgot about Haiku's moderator poem.

Seriously the mods do a good job around here, god knows I wouldn't be able to handle it.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Relevant xkcd, not just to you.

I will clarify. I meant free speech in the sense that anyone with an unpopular opinion is demonized by social media. I am talking about all the virtue signaling snowflakes who take offense by anything and everything. Soon the idea of a joke will become something we learn about in history books. You can't tell me people are not way over sensitive now...unless you're one of them. Words only have the power we give them. Are there limits? Sure. But sometimes I feel like the world is turning into a giant elementary school where everything little thing has to be policed. But like it said, let's move on.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post

This isn't a democracy. It's a benevolent dictatorship, really, like every group/forum/discussion board anywhere. And if you (general you, not specific you) post here, it's an accepted reality that there are going to be rules or guidelines and they are administered at the discretion of the owner/administrator/moderators. Deal with it, or move on. This forum is massive and has done very well for many many years and will likely continue on, doing well. One or two people who throw a strop (a highly ironic strop which is particularly amusing) and stomp off are not going to be missed. And, snark on someone long enough, throwing BS at them, making claims manufactured from either the thin blue air or from between the slightly rounded globes of their arse, I absolutely don't blame those tasked with adminning/moderating this forum, with slightly spicy responses. And by slightly spicy, I mean hardly snarky at all, given some of the responses I've seen from admins and mods on other groups over the years. They're human, and rag on them long enough, I'm not surprised they might be somewhat short in their responses.
I completely agree.

But maybe that really goes to agree with Nik's post. Maybe they should be rotated in and out from time to time.

Not just to get new blood in occasionally but also to let the guys who are mods just act like normal hockey fans for a while.

Every post they make on this forum is as Moderators. Maybe they need an opportunity to just be normal without a ton of responsibility or scrutiny on everything they say.

Moderating is a volunteer position, not a full-time job. They should be allowed to have a little fun from time to time.

Honestly, lately its seemed that the mods are constantly under attack, it might be refreshing for them to log into this forum and not feel like they're repelling invaders who are storming the gates to take the crown?

But thats, just, like, my opinion man.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was a mod for 10+ years on IGN. Thankless job, and you're always on the wrong side of things.

Try and edit a comment for being inappropriate - you're a nazi! Censorship! Over-modding!

Miss any little thing that someone says that ruffled someones feathers - Bias mods! Inconsistent! Favoritism!

Honestly, being a regular poster is such a breeze. I read the forums for content/enjoyment, not grading comments vs. the 'crossing the line scale'. Enjoy your care free posting, and if/when you get modded, shrug and move on with your day - someone else doesn't need your 2cents, if they've edited it I promise you they've thought about your post more than you have.

PS. Mod technique - short response/comment = less chance someone finds fault with your decision or has evidence to argue against you. I used to use a standard form to contact people just so there was no wiggle room, nor argument to be had based on perceived 'bias'

PPS. I also have no idea who's a mod on this site
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will clarify. I meant free speech in the sense that anyone with an unpopular opinion is demonized by social media. I am talking about all the virtue signaling snowflakes who take offense by anything and everything. Soon the idea of a joke will become something we learn about in history books. You can't tell me people are not way over sensitive now...unless you're one of them. Words only have the power we give them. Are there limits? Sure. But sometimes I feel like the world is turning into a giant elementary school where everything little thing has to be policed. But like it said, let's move on.
There's a big tell.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #17
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, that's what having rights does. It allows people to voice their feelings about what they feel is affecting them. I don't see why you should be allowed to dictate what certain people can be offended about... and calling people "snowflakes" isn't a great sign, either.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #18
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is the inconsistency in the moderation of the board. I get they are volunteers and not getting any benefit for doing it and good on them but their is absolutely a problem with certain longtime posters being able to cross the line with no repercussions at all or ignoring of reports when some of the more outspoken members who do not agree with the masses gets piled on. Don't say we don't know if that person got an infraction or not, it doesn't matter when the offending post is left up after being reported. There is certainly bias on this board, there are members that have more board privileges than I have because I asked for my account to be deleted and then after a break I came back. So I took time off and asked to be brought back under a new name so I could avoid old conflicts but that was not allowed, I was to return as dissentowner and to stick to the FOI board and to not let posters bait me into arguing, the mods would do their job. Except they didn't, I had more than one post I reported that was left up after a poster baited me. Then I post an opinion in the OTB, break no rules, get piled on, and now I am not allowed to post in the OTF because that was much easier than addressing the piling on that had sprung up in that thread. So to review I was never suspended, I suspended myself, I came back as myself instead of the many other posters who were lifetime suspended from the board and then made an account under a different name and returned, yet I have less privileges than they have. I can't go to the OTB and talk about presents I am getting my kids or the Video game thread I started for what? But yes, no bias at all.... I don't care if you give me an infraction for crossing the line and breaking the rules, if I deserve it I deserve it but CALL IT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE! If you are going to enforce the rules enforce them the proper way, nip the problem in the bud before it gets carried away, and make it the same for everyone!

End rant.
I don't think the intent is this thread is to refute every accusation but given the level of misinformation in this post I feel obligated to provide a reply.

In July of 2016 you asked for your account to be deleted. We closed the account at that time.

Some time later you emailed us and asked to be re-instated under a new account. We suggested you return under your original name. We further advised that you avoid any discussions related to law enforcement. You agreed and further suggested you would stick to hockey talk.

With this understanding we re-opened the account.

Since you have been re-instated you have reported all of two posts. The first one we deemed to be more of a gentle ribbing (patting yourself on the back about something) as opposed to an outright attack.
The second, in looking at it now, should have been deleted.

So there isn't a huge pattern of you reporting posts that haven't been dealt with. There are two. One that we viewed to be harmless.

Folks want something that is impossible to achieve. Consistent moderation in a world where almost every decision requires subjectivity.

That's why as a group we routinely discuss items. We debate them and decide on the best course of action.

Do we get it right all the time? Of course not. Particularly since everyone's definition of right and wrong is different.

But there is no grand conspiracy against or for certain posters. Just a bunch of human beings making human decisions about subjective things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #19
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

End rant.
You got piled on because your posts made a bunch of unverified claims and then when you were asked to provide evidence, you linked to a bunch of right-wing quasi-conspiracy Youtube videos. But yes, it's everyone else's fault.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #20
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I completely agree.

But maybe that really goes to agree with Nik's post. Maybe they should be rotated in and out from time to time.

Not just to get new blood in occasionally but also to let the guys who are mods just act like normal hockey fans for a while.

Every post they make on this forum is as Moderators. Maybe they need an opportunity to just be normal without a ton of responsibility or scrutiny on everything they say.

Moderating is a volunteer position, not a full-time job. They should be allowed to have a little fun from time to time.

Honestly, lately its seemed that the mods are constantly under attack, it might be refreshing for them to log into this forum and not feel like they're repelling invaders who are storming the gates to take the crown?

But thats, just, like, my opinion man.
I hear that. And, I think it might not be a half bad idea. I just also think, be snotty or snarky or downright #######y to the admins/mods, they should be able to tell you right back what a bugeffer you're being, LOL, and not just by handing out infractions or whatever. I've gotten an infraction and very early on, oh well, c'est la vie, moved on. I said I accepted the rules when I signed up, so if I get my pee pee slapped for not following them, that's on me and there's no reason to tear any of the mods/admins a new butt entry because I acted contrary to the rules. *shrug*
Closed Thread