Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He'd score more goals if he could play with a linemates that could set him up instead of Ryan Smyth 2.0 and a rotating list of plugs on his right side
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #22
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

From an outsiders perspective Johnny hockey seems WAY down the list of problems to me for the Flames. You might say he's been a bright spot. He strikes me as the most dynamic player on a team suffocated by a boring coach.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #23
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Gluegun was hired in the summer of 2016. Johnny's performance seems distinct between the pre-Glen Gulutzan era and the Gulutzan era were in now.
Haven't almost all skilled players on flames seen a drop in production or regression in GG system? While role players have seen an increase.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #24
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
He'd score more goals if he could play with a linemates that could set him up instead of Ryan Smyth 2.0 and a rotating list of plugs on his right side
lol wut. This should end well...
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #25
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Didn't the stick he used for years get discontinued? I wonder if that's a factor at all as I recall it had some unique attributes.
Pretty sure I read they were gonna remake them just for him

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chonger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #26
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I chalk that up to youthful exuberance right now. Every time he has the puck on his stick he tries to create a grade A scoring chance. He’s an elite playmaker and I’m not about to second guess players with his hockey iq and ability. But I think with growth and experience and the occasional talk with the coach, he’ll learn to pull the reigns in during crucial times.

But as for his performance so far, I think he’s the least of the Flames’ worries. He’s drawn a lot of power plays and has accounted for 55% of his team’s goals. He has figured in on 11 goals and the rest of the team has 9. He deserves his fair share of criticism, but others deserve more blame for these losses right now. The entire bottom 6 right now just eat up time and try to keep their head above water. No one else has stepped up to try and turn the tide our way or effect the game positively. They’re kind of just...there.
Don't disagree with you there about the main issues with the team - although his mistake in the 3rd had a direct outcome on the result last night. Also don't disagree that it's necessarily a big concern that he is scoring fewer goals. But nothing wrong with pointing to a downward trend (in goalscoring). And I think that downward trend is related to him trying to make highlight reel moves all the time instead of making the simple play more often. A tenuous balance because you don't want to stifle his creativity but I think it will serve him better when it becomes a little more balanced.

Last edited by Fan in Exile; 10-22-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #27
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not so much that Gaudreau's production is a "problem" as much as I am wondering what, if anything, has observably changed in his game. He just seemed like more of a goal scorer his first two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
lol wut. This should end well...
Smyth averaged 30G/32A per 82 games for 11 seasons from age 20 to 30. It's a more apt comparision than the silly Kopitar/Toews/Bergeron that get thrown around often.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #28
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Smyth averaged 30G/32A per 82 games for 11 seasons from age 20 to 30. It's a more apt comparision than the silly Kopitar/Toews/Bergeron that get thrown around often.
I mean if you're going strictly by points then sure, but that's where the similarities end. Maybe that was Love's point, I don't know. But Monahan has an elite shot and is the superior skater, Smyth made his living with his ass parked a foot in front of the goalie.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
I mean if you're going strictly by points then sure, but that's where the similarities end. Maybe that was Love's point, I don't know. But Monahan has an elite shot and is the superior skater, Smyth made his living with his ass parked a foot in front of the goalie.
Neither are great skaters and both are elite garbageman. Smyth a little better hands around the net, Monahan a better shot. The most apt comparison I could think of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #30
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neither are great skaters and both are elite garbageman. Smyth a little better hands around the net, Monahan a better shot. The most apt comparison I could think of.
A little better hands, eh?

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #32
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Don't disagree with you there about the main issues with the team - although his mistake in the 3rd had a direct outcome on the result last night. Also don't disagree that it's necessarily a big concern that he is scoring fewer goals. But nothing wrong with pointing to a downward trend (in goalscoring). And I think that downward trend is related to him trying to make highlight reel moves all the time instead of making the simple play more often. A tenuous balance because you don't want to stifle his creativity but I think it will serve him better when it becomes a little more balanced.
I don’t we’re in any position to tell an elite offensive player on what he should and shouldn’t be doing right now. He’s tied for 7th in league scoring and I still think he has another gear he can hit. Like I said before, he scores on the breakaway in Vancouver or his shot off the post goes in instead and he’d be on pace for 30 again and we’re not having this conversation.

He and Monahan are consistently the most dangerous players on the ice for the team and have figured in on 70% of the teams goals. Fact is, those 2 need help right now because 10 other forwards have collectively scored 6 goals and they’re just not contributing their fair share. If Gaudreau is trying too hard and forcing it, it’s because his line is the only line who can manufacture any type of offense right now and they’re being relied on too heavily. If he pots 20 this season and is a ppg player, I just don’t know how any one can complain or expect any more.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #33
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
It's not so much that Gaudreau's production is a "problem" as much as I am wondering what, if anything, has observably changed in his game. He just seemed like more of a goal scorer his first two years.
I think everyone should just exhale right now. He had an off year last season which involved an injury, he’s very likely to hit a minimum of 20 which isn’t far off from his 1st year, but I just don’t see why it matters if he’s still collecting assists and creating numerous scoring chances? Does it actually matter? I mean it’s not like he’s Ryan Johansen who hit 30 early on and may never even come close to 20 again while earning $8M a year. Relax people. He’s had a good start which is considerably better than the same time last year.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #34
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, he just taps in garbage. I'd much rather have the beautiful goal Bennett almost scored the other night, the one Jagr almost scored, the slick one Johnny almost scored, ..... Who needs the guy who actually scores?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #35
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Gaudreau has always been a playmaker in my eyes. It doesn't matter if he scores or gets assists, just as long as he's in on scoring plays.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #36
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Agony and Ecstasy of Johnny Hockey was the alternative title
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #37
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure you don't know what a garbage goal is.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #38
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I agree, he just taps in garbage. I'd much rather have the beautiful goal Bennett almost scored the other night, the one Jagr almost scored, the slick one Johnny almost scored, ..... Who needs the guy who actually scores?
I don't understand this post
Old 10-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #39
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

The guy has never scored more goals than assists....

Gaudreau is Gaudreau, who is an offensive threat every time he's on the ice.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #40
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand this post
Not surprising.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote