Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #201
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Level 40 review is much the same as the level 20, great polished game with a lot of the little things done right.

I am still nervous how this PvP system will play out at the end game, but I will hold off judgement until I get there.

It seems like it is designed for a lot of 1v1 battles and any time more than 1 guy gets on you its insta death.. but we will see.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #202
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish there was a way to inspect players.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #203
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
So what you're saying is that you choose to play Scissors and Rock keeps beating you, so Rock should get nerfed even though you admit that Paper can beat Rock. I guess you should get nerfed too so that Paper can beat your Scissors, right?

This mentality was so prevalent in WoW. I really hope AN stays smart and doesn't bend to that kind of bs thinking and go with the Flavor of the Month Class type of PvP WoW had.
That's not what I'm saying in the least.

Heartseeker routinely does far more damage than any other skill any other class possesses, and while some other classes do have some ways to defend against it, it still ends up doing an unfair amount of damage with as few strikes as possible, against all classes. It's utterly unbalanced. The game isn't about this skill being better than that skill; it's about the ability of the player to create combinations of skills that work and react to situations. When one class has a skill so much more powerful (and far better) than any skill of any other class that they can just spam it over and over (which dagger-dagger thieves do -- there's no skill involved, because there doesn't have to be) and be at top of the chart every match, with some classes having basically no way of countering it (no paper, in your scenario), I would call that OPed and not very fun to play against.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #204
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was thinking about buying a copy of the game today but I see on their website that they are out of digital download keys. How does that even happen?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #205
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Was thinking about buying a copy of the game today but I see on their website that they are out of digital download keys. How does that even happen?
They'll restock online later- the simply have stopped digital downloads to prevent server populations from getting out of hand. Meanwhile, you could go to a store and pick up a copy, those still work.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #206
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
They'll restock online later- the simply have stopped digital downloads to prevent server populations from getting out of hand. Meanwhile, you could go to a store and pick up a copy, those still work.
You mean leave the house???
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #207
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok so I feel like an idiot.
Here I am wondering how I'm gonna store all of my crafting materials. Little do I know there's a whole crafting tab called "collections" that can store all the stuff I've gathered.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #208
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
You mean leave the house???
You can order digitally on GameStop still, I think.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #209
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Future shop and Walmart in Shawnessy are sold out of physical copies as well. It must be selling better than expected.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #210
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know of a physical retailer in Calgary with copies available? I haven't purchased a non-digital PC game in years, but it looks like that might be the only way to play GW2 in the short-medium term.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #211
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still don't understand how this is possible! How can they not have online keys for sale??
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #212
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still don't understand how this is possible! How can they not have online keys for sale??
They deliberately stopped selling new keys because the existing servers are too crowded and they don't want to negatively impact the experience of people already playing. When they have new hardware in place and the servers aren't as loaded, they'll start selling keys again.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #213
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

That makes sense but also seems unprofessional by not having the infrastructure ready.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #214
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Up to level 54 in 52 hours played so far. Having a lot of fun still, which is weird, normally leveling should feel like a grind by now.

Switching back and forth between zones always keeps me a few levels above the quests I am working on which helps things run along smoothly.

Still getting random crashes on ports, and random freeze ups with my comp. Definitely can't do World vs. World either, which is a bummer. Need to figure that problem out sooner than later..
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #215
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
That makes sense but also seems unprofessional by not having the infrastructure ready.
What level of infrastructure though? Every online game goes through an initial flood where the demand is many many times what it will eventually level out at, and having that level of infrastructure available for launch isn't reasonable.

Most online games just try to muddle through the initial flood until the load evens out, I like their approach of trying to manage demand by limiting the # of people that actually have the game.

This way they don't have to waste money by buying 100 servers for launch and then having 50 sit idle 2 months later when things stabilize.

That they only get money from the sale makes this even more important, could mean the difference between success and going under.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #216
HPLovecraft

Exp:

116 hours in 11 days. Holy Christ. I don't think I've ever put this type of time into a game before. I think I need a break . . .
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #217
Qwerty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Ok so I feel like an idiot.
Here I am wondering how I'm gonna store all of my crafting materials. Little do I know there's a whole crafting tab called "collections" that can store all the stuff I've gathered.
You can click on the top right of your inventory and hit "deposit all collectables" and they send them to the bank for you, no matter where you are.
Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #218
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where do you see your time played? I'm level 61 and at 36% map completion.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #219
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just type /age and it brings it up for you.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #220
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Just type /age and it brings it up for you.
Thanks. Although I know my number won't be very accurate. I have a habit in games of leaving them on while I AFK for several hours at a time. My time played is probably at least 40% too high.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote