Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #221
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait to get a tour of the new ATC tower, the view up there is going to be killer.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #222
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I can't wait to get a tour of the new ATC tower, the view up there is going to be killer.
I need a new hookup because I agree that view is going to be really cool.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #223
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As promised here are the arrival rates depending on runways in use:

Quote:
16/10, depart 16 only..."36" arrival rate but actually closer to 40.
16/10, departing both..."32" arrival rate.

The same rates apply to the flipside of that scenario, when using 34 and 28. 36 and 32 rates respectively.

16 & 25 used together can also yield about a 36 rate, same for 34 & 25 together. I actually like those two combos more than the others.

In the unlikely event tower says screw spacing and we're allowed to run unlimited, using hold shorts, etc, we can easily jam 50-60 per hour without breaking a sweat. The new parallels *should* allow us to run 44-50 per hour equally without breaking a sweat.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #224
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple of recent shots of the construction taken from a Cessna:

International Facilities Terminal (really shows how it will be bigger than the existing terminal!):

Airport Tunnel:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #225
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

On that picture of the airport tunnel, you can see the runway concrete that has been completed as well.
You Need a Thneed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #226
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the winds dictate only 28 and 25 can be used it will be a HUGE hit to capacity. Except for very rare conditions the airlines will only land on 28, 25 is used mainly by the charter and private operators on the south side of the field. The only time I've seen the airlines use 25 was late last year during that crazy wind day, remember that video of Lufthansa landing on 28 in the crosswind? Air Canada and WestJet were landing their 737's, Airbus' and Embraers on 25.

The big problem with 28 and 25 active is that the approach for 25 cuts right into the approach of 28, so you have to separate aircraft even more to avoid conflicts or loss of legal separation.

I'll ask my ATC buddy up in Edmonton that controls arrivals and departures into Calgary what the different hourly capacities are based on which runways are being used. I do know that the most capacity right now is when they can use 16 and 10, #2 would be 34 and 28, and 28 and 25 probably way down there.
Is it ever planned (or even theoretically possible) to add a parallel to one of the more E/W runways? We definitely have strong crosswind days here, and once we have a huge capacity difference when we can't use the parallels that's going to be huge delay issue on chinook days.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #227
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man i sure hope Japan Airlines, Korean Airlines, Asiana and Cathay Pacific come to Calgary now.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #228
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Man i sure hope Japan Airlines, Korean Airlines, Asiana and Cathay Pacific come to Calgary now.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

Short-term future nothing changes on the international front (not including transborder to the USA), the only wildcard I have is Korean possibly serving us (and I'm giving that like a 10% chance).

However I do have it on good authority that a Mexican carrier (InterJet) will most likely be starting service to YYC (and tagging YEG along with the flight).

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #229
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
I think it would be viable for a carrier like Cathay Pacific to have 2 flights a week between Hong Kong and Calgary. Whenever I fly between Calgary and Hong Kong, I always see a fair amount of people getting off the HKG-YVR leg and then onto the YVR-YYC leg.

And I wouldn't be surprised, in the long run, to see seasonal service from Calgary to Tokyo, whether it's Air Canada or another carrier. I remember Canadian Airlines used to have seasonal flights to NRT from YYC.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #230
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steely, Air Canada has year round service YYC-NRT. Started before the big quake in Japan, summer only. Since then they have increased it to a year round service and eventually want it to be a daily flight. It has been growing nicely after the hiccup because of the earthquake.

They operate a 767-300 on the route. I think it is Air Canada flights 09 and 10. 5x weekly in the summer, 3x weekly in the winter.

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #231
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Steely, Air Canada has year round service YYC-NRT. Started before the big quake in Japan, summer only. Since then they have increased it to a year round service and eventually want it to be a daily flight. It has been growing nicely after the hiccup because of the earthquake.

They operate a 767-300 on the route. I think it is Air Canada flights 09 and 10. It operates 3x weekly in the winter season. 5x weekly in the summer.
For some reason, I thought they'd canceled it at one point. But thanks for the info!
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #232
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

For selfish reasons, I hope the government caves and lets Emirates or Etihad come to Cowtown. I understand why they won't though... it would absolutely murder AC's European service.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #233
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
For selfish reasons, I hope the government caves and lets Emirates or Etihad come to Cowtown. I understand why they won't though... it would absolutely murder AC's European service.
Stop believing what Emirates is putting out there, they were offered flights to YYC but they did not take them because they did not get what they really wanted, daily rights into YYZ.

Over the years the Canadian government has worked with other countries and airlines to grow rights into the country based not on connecting traffic but demand between the two countries in question. Should we punish the likes of those countries and airlines by letting the petulant child of the airline world (Emirates) just come in and dictate terms to us?

Europe and Australia have learned this lesson the hard way, I have no problem with the way Canada has been dealing with Emirates. I still think we will eventually see them give Emirates more rights, but they have to work with us and not expect things to just happen because they say so.

Don't forget that originally there were 6x weekly slots available to them, but they didn't take them so Etihad grabbed 3 of them. Only after that did Emirates take the other 3.

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-06-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #234
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

Short-term future nothing changes on the international front (not including transborder to the USA), the only wildcard I have is Korean possibly serving us (and I'm giving that like a 10% chance).

However I do have it on good authority that a Mexican carrier (InterJet) will most likely be starting service to YYC (and tagging YEG along with the flight).
Didnt Mexicana try that a few years ago?
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #235
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Didnt Mexicana try that a few years ago?
Yes but they went belly up. I think the loads were decent.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #236
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup we had the Mexicana service but as KelVarnsen mentioned they went bankrupt. Actually one of their A320's was here in YYC and got seized, it was parked over at the Air Canada hangar for the longest time.

I think we also had some limited service from AeroMexico (737 if I recall correctly), but the whole Canada-Mexico Visa flap caused them to shutter the route.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #237
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Having been all over the world (as I'm sure a lot other posters here have as well) i would like to add (I'm sure it has been DEF posted well earlier in this topic thread) that our airport is trash. The brown color/ material siding (i have no idea what it is... I'm canada's worst handy man) is trash.... makes it look out dated... and the restaurants and other facilities are so poor. When arriving into the current international terminal and seeing this stupid signs with out dated photos of downtown with headlines stating (your only 20 minutes away) etc etc.... Vancouvers airport alone SH*Ts on ours. Beijings Sh*ts on ours. Singapores sh*ts on ours..... Torontos at least looks and has a better feel than ours... the list goes on

i compare our airport to Seattles trash airport. Out Dated.

This expansion is a good start. Also having the LRT going straight there is much better as well.
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #238
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CAA has had to work with what the federal government gave them when they privatized the airports, and then deal with burgeoning growth while trying to find ways to pay for it. Did you expect them to destroy the whole thing and build new? Where the heck would that amount of money come from?

You realize that Toronto may have a very nice new T1, but been through T3 lately? That thing was built in the 90's and is just as outdated as parts of our terminal now. Plus Toronto now has the distinction of being one of the most expensive airports in THE WORLD for airlines to utilize because of the costs of the T1 project. Plus in my opinion T1 is really crappy in food/shopping options for a terminal of that size.

Beijing and Singapore I would expect to have very nice, big airports. Just how many more millions of people do they serve than YYC? Been through Heathrow, Frankfurt, some not-so-nice parts to them too. Airports are almost alive, they have history, they expand and grow over time and some parts will be more dated than others. Not every facility can afford to build a brand new terminal to replace the entire old one (like Beijing).

I'm happy the CAA has spent time and money improving the facility they inherited, but at the same time not blowing it all and instead focusing on attracting more carriers and destinations to YYC. The new IFP is a step in the right direction but it is also overkill for our current and even short term capacity needs.

Just off the top of my head, some of the improvements the CAA has made to the existing terminal:

-Pier D expansion (WestJet)
-Pier A expansion/renovation (Air Canada)
-Spaceport (for the kiddies)
-Food court (way better than what was there prior)
-Banff Avenue seating area, big glass windows facing towards downtown
-New international arrivals area
-New transborder bag sorting facility (airside)
-New parkade

Not too mention the upgrades and improvements on the airfield proper, things like new taxiways, larger ramp spaces, airfield lighting, approach and landing aids, new snow removal equipment, de-icing fluid retention ponds and recycling facilities.

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-06-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #239
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The international terminal will hopefully have more and better retail and food options. I always like when the terminal is like a mall like in Frankfurt or Houston. I really hope this expansion doesn't turn out looking like Warsaws new terminal... Shiny and new but just one wide hallway with a couple duty free shops and resturants in the middle... blah.

I can only imagine how terrible a long layover in Calgary must be...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #240
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
I think it would be viable for a carrier like Cathay Pacific to have 2 flights a week between Hong Kong and Calgary. Whenever I fly between Calgary and Hong Kong, I always see a fair amount of people getting off the HKG-YVR leg and then onto the YVR-YYC leg.

And I wouldn't be surprised, in the long run, to see seasonal service from Calgary to Tokyo, whether it's Air Canada or another carrier. I remember Canadian Airlines used to have seasonal flights to NRT from YYC.
I think YYC-HKG will happen, but probably not until the 787 is well established. It might even take the 787-900. The current size of planes that could make a trip like that (777, 747, 380, some 340s) are just too big for the demand. A 787 would be more right sized for the demand and would have the range to make the route work.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc