Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 AM   #181
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Here's Brouwer creepin' for the cameras after the Backlund goal:
The greatest thing I have seen in a long time
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 AM   #182
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Around the League Report

Johnny Hockey, Balloon Party Porcupine
I definitely appreciate the reference to one of Bob's great quotes.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:14 AM   #183
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kulak has been playing really well, better then Stone. Very impressed. Hope he keeps up.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #184
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Awesome game last night!

Very quickly, I'd like to point out that the Capitals fans here in DC are nothing but class. Very knowledgeable, very passionate, but extremely friendly, even to enemy team fans like myself.

My 7 month old son had an absolute blast last night. At first he seemed confused with what was going on, but seemed to enjoy himself as the game went on. By the Flames 4th goal, however, he wasn't having it anymore and we decided to leave early.

The game was a perfect road game in my opinion. I thought they looked a bit shakey in the first period and in parts of the second, but for the most part, the Flames dominated the game. The first line is unstoppable and Smith was Smith. Second and third lines were both very good and the fourth line looks much better without Stajan. I thought Versteeg had a fantastic game.

One last thing. Last season, the only two games I watched live here in DC were both Capitals losses to Nashville and Pittsburgh.... And we all know how their seasons went
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #185
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
For those of us trying to keep track..

Do we want Gulutzan fired any more or is he a good coach again?

Since you brought it up... Gaudreau, Monahan and Smith playing out of their minds doesn't make Gulutzan a good coach. He's here because he came cheap, not because he makes us a better team.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #186
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I like how Backs can't keep his tongue off his stache.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #187
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Since you brought it up... Gaudreau, Monahan and Smith playing out of their minds doesn't make Gulutzan a good coach. He's here because he came cheap, not because he makes us a better team.

I don't know what to say. If you really, truly believe this, there's no hope for you.

It's like you're actively hoping for his failure (and the team's failure) just so you can be proven to be right.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #188
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe not. What will convince you he's a good head coach? Honest question.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #189
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All four lines playing well, special teams having a great night, good team defence, great offensive zone play make GG a good coach.

Smith played well last night, but a few terrific saves and all of the routine ones = good goaltending, not "out of his mind" goaltending. He's had to be much better in other games. Holtby made a few great ones as well (stopped the wraparound from Gaudreau, Hamilton breakaway, etc, he just couldn't stop two of the scramble chances when the Flames were buzzing (and not just Monahan and Gaudreau), plus a tricky Gaudreau breakaway shot and a screen shot from Gio.

The Flames outplayed a talented team with a top five goalie. GG deserves at least a little credit.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #190
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I think they choose Gulutzan because we have a young, developing team and a young developing GM, so they wanted a young developing coach.

Also, I think Treliving and Gulutzan are very similar in that they are unemotional and procedural, so they probably clicked right away.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #191
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

I don't know what to say. If you really, truly believe this, there's no hope for you.

It's like you're actively hoping for his failure (and the team's failure) just so you can be proven to be right.
No, you manufacturing opinions and assigning them to me for your own selfish benefit is not at all like that.

I want the Flames to succeed. I believe that right now they are succeeding in spite of the coach, not because of him. Also, if you guys are going to whine about people not liking the coach when we win, don't start crying when people disagree with you.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #192
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fair. Honest question though, what do the Flames have to do for you to believe in Gulutzan?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #193
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Maybe not. What will convince you he's a good head coach? Honest question.
When he demonstrates that he can consistently prepare a team to play from the start of a game, not sometime later.

When he demonstrates that he can consistently adapt his lines and roster decisions on the basis of player performance or what's best for the team rather than stubbornly holding on until forced to change by injury.

When he demonstrates that he can manage the lines and assignments, and adapt to changing conditions of the game.

When, given the talent we have on defence, he demonstrates that he has a system that doesn't require Mike Smith to frequently stand on his head - even last night, we'd be down 3-0 and buried if not for Smith. Fortunately we do have Smith, and fortunately the team rallied after a couple big saves and took the game over.

On the bright side, we're finally past 50% odds to make the playoffs after last night. So that is definitely a step forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #194
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but my guess is if those guys were playing badly, you'd be up Gulutzan's ass for not getting them ready, failing to motivate our best players, or "losing the room" or whatever. Can't have it both ways.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #195
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A win Dec 2 would be a step forward for GG.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #196
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Sure, but my guess is if those guys were playing badly, you'd be up Gulutzan's ass for not getting them ready, failing to motivate our best players, or "losing the room" or whatever. Can't have it both ways.
Speaking of, that also goes both ways. When we fail, many of the same people who needlessly decided to poke the bear in this thread will always blame the players and never blame the coach. When we succeed, they suddenly show up in this thread begging for people to compliment the coach. They want it both ways, and some of them are now getting upset because I won't let them have it both ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #197
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of, that also goes both ways. When we fail, many of the same people who needlessly decided to poke the bear in this thread will always blame the players and never blame the coach. When we succeed, they suddenly show up in this thread begging for people to compliment the coach. They want it both ways, and some of them are now getting upset because I won't let them have it both ways.
Well... this thread is about a single game they dominated. So I don't see a lot of the Flames failing happening in here.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #198
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was going to joke that the Flames won despite GG but it seems I have no need
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #199
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Fair. Honest question though, what do the Flames have to do for you to believe in Gulutzan?
GG has made a lot of strange decisions.

He plays Brodie on his weak side because of how we shoots. Like anyone cares about Brodies muffin of a shot.

Move Brodie off the first PP. Stone and Hamilton can shot yet they are not on there.

Bartkowski should have not been on the tram period. Why keep him so long?

Bennett at C.
Stajan on the team.

Rolling 4 lines regardless of score. auto pilot coaching.

Passive D that gives up the blue line. Is it working? Don't see it. Flames give up a lot of goals.

Brouwer on PP.

And why are changes being made only after this board mentions it? Is he reading this board for ideas? Seems to happen a lot. Really strange.

I like that the team is winning some games, but when the going gets tough we will need an actual game plan rather than Smith's heroics. Can GG deliver in the playoffs? I don't feel like he can.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #200
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the last few lost games the Flames were "ready" against the Wings (watch the first few minutes) and the Canucks (same). They just didn't score (well, they had one called back against the Canucks), and things went bad in a short span (Canucks) or snowballed (Wings).

They were not ready in the wins against Philly and arguably St. Louis. But they didn't wilt and fought back, which, as much as starts, could be seen as a sign of good coaching (people seemed to think it was a mark in favour of Hartley that his team could make comebacks). I don't think an early first period goal on a single mistake last night means they weren't ready. It means that one or two guys made a mistake.