Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #3941
Franchise Player

Exp:

My theory is that Glass saw that Hamilton was going to get sent down and asked management to waive him instead so that he could:

a) maybe get claimed by another team and play in the NHL; or
b) get to stay in game shape by playing games in Stockton.

If it were me, and i'm getting paid the same either way, i'd rather play (even in the AHL) then sit in the pressbox every night.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #3942
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

nm don't want to interrupt the Byron discussion

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-20-2017 at 03:37 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #3943
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

outside of sureLoss' posts it has been a riveting 5 pages or so of solid trade rumors
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #3944
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

FWIW, McKenzie just said on TSN 1040 that Treliving would like to upgrade the 3rd d-pairing if he can. I am not sure if he has been watching Kulak lately because that sounds like some older stuff from the beginning of the season.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #3945
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
FWIW, McKenzie just said on TSN 1040 that Treliving would like to upgrade the 3rd d-pairing if he can. I am not sure if he has been watching Kulak lately.
Kulak has been great! Why oh why is he putting more in to the d at this point! Crazy if true
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #3946
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
FWIW, McKenzie just said on TSN 1040 that Treliving would like to upgrade the 3rd d-pairing if he can. I am not sure if he has been watching Kulak lately because that sounds like some older stuff from the beginning of the season.
Yeah, I'd bet that the info Mckenzie was working off of came from back in October or something.

I've been very impressed with Kulak + Stone.

Bartkowski and Stone were a very, very different story though...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #3947
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If this is true, maybe Treliving was watching a D from Buffalo. Here’s a cryptic tweet from Aivis Kalnins who is tied into E Bloc Players (referenced tweet has since been deleted)

Antipin has been #freed
https://mobile.twitter.com/BJWilsonW...14474663059458

Maybe jumped gun or something to it?
Old 11-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #3948
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is the happiest I can remember being with the third pairing. However, keep in mind that we are one injury away from dressing Bartkowski
Old 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #3949
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

If there was a time to unload Brodie, I think this would be a good time. I feel he's still great offensively and a great player but also think he's expendable. Opens the door for another smooth skating Kylington with offensive instincts. Kulak has taken a great leap so far being a third pairing although it's still early.

Maybe Brodie + Versteeg to Buffalo
Reinhart comes back to us

Johnny - Mony - Ferly
Chucky - Backs - Frols
Benny - Janko - Yags
Reinhart - Lazar/Hamilton/Staj - Brow

Gio - Dougie
Kylington - Hamonic
Kulie - Stone
Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #3950
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
This is the happiest I can remember being with the third pairing. However, keep in mind that we are one injury away from dressing Bartkowski
We're an injury away from dressing Bartkowski for a week - anything longer and it'd be Andersson time.

Makes no sense to spend assets to improve the 3rd pairing.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #3951
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would anyone want to "unload" a solid top-4 defenseman and a solid 4th-liner for for a "project"?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #3952
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We're an injury away from dressing Bartkowski for a week - anything longer and it'd be Andersson time.

Makes no sense to spend assets to improve the 3rd pairing.
I agree with you. However, if management thinks this is the year (and it's looking like there's a chance, especially due to goaltending) then you have to assume they aren't too thrilled with potentially having a 3rd pairing under 23 years old in the playoffs. There is a comfort with management of sports teams and playing vets, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a spot they would be interested in filling.

Definitely in a position of strength here, it's great. The Flames can field offers as they aren't desperate.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #3953
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure why Treliving would want to improve on our D when we need the depth on our Forward wings
Old 11-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #3954
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Not sure why Treliving would want to improve on our D when we need the depth on our Forward wings
I don't know...I look at our line-up, and the only place for a "new" player to go would be the 4th line, and preferably someone who can move up the line-up if injuries occur.

Sam Reinhart seems like THE acquisition target to me.

He could play centre on the 4th line, he could play RW on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line depending on injuries -and then his role could grow over the years.

It seems like a smart move, if he is in fact available and could be had for something like Fox + 2019 1st rounder. We most likely won't get a young player with the ceiling Reinhart has in the later parts of the 1st round - and Fox, who I think is really impressive and likely our best defensive prospect, and one of THE best defensive prospects in the league, could be viewed as an valuable trading piece (...+ he's American and the "will he or won't he" narrative is undoubtedly going to pop up at some point with him and his signing status).
Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #3955
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Why would anyone want to "unload" a solid top-4 defenseman and a solid 4th-liner for for a "project"?
No kidding. Not for nothing, but the way the NHL works these days, this year may well be the best chance this group has at a Stanley Cup.

Gio is 33, and still Gio. No guarantees how long he plays at $6.75M levels.

Smith is 35 and no matter what, I doubt we give an extension to a goalie who will be 37 when his deal expires.

Johnny is having a Hart worthy season, Monahan is over a PPG.

3M line's final year with a collective cap hit of <$9M.

Jagr.

Look at the Western conference right now. Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas and Minnesota are all down this year. The Oilers are a non-factor.

St Louis and LA are at the top of their respective divisions. Vegas is a point ahead of us, and we're 2 points out of 1st. I don't see a single team in the western playoff picture that Calgary couldn't beat in a 7 game series. v

We're rapidly approaching the point where we cannot deal anyone of importance off our active roster. You want bottom 6 scoring? Recall Eat Bread. Wanna augment the bottom pair? Andersson, Kylington, Wotherspoon or GTFO.

I'll make this prediction right now. This team gets to the Finals, and loses to Tampa.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #3956
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kulak has been more than impressive and there's no way Treliving doesn't see that.

Unless he's viewing it as Hamonic or Stone being expendable.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #3957
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Kulak has been more than impressive and there's no way Treliving doesn't see that.

Unless he's viewing as Hamonic or Stone being expendable.
He probably does. Hamonic and Stone are on very good contracts and are very useful NHL players with no real say in who they get traded to.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #3958
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
No kidding. Not for nothing, but the way the NHL works these days, this year may well be the best chance this group has at a Stanley Cup.

Gio is 33, and still Gio. No guarantees how long he plays at $6.75M levels.

Smith is 35 and no matter what, I doubt we give an extension to a goalie who will be 37 when his deal expires.

Johnny is having a Hart worthy season, Monahan is over a PPG.

3M line's final year with a collective cap hit of <$9M.

Jagr.

Look at the Western conference right now. Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas and Minnesota are all down this year. The Oilers are a non-factor.

St Louis and LA are at the top of their respective divisions. Vegas is a point ahead of us, and we're 2 points out of 1st. I don't see a single team in the western playoff picture that Calgary couldn't beat in a 7 game series. v

We're rapidly approaching the point where we cannot deal anyone of importance off our active roster. You want bottom 6 scoring? Recall Eat Bread. Wanna augment the bottom pair? Andersson, Kylington, Wotherspoon or GTFO.

I'll make this prediction right now. This team gets to the Finals, and loses to Tampa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #3959
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I know that part sucks. I just have a feeling. I also can't bring myself to predict that we actually win the Stanley Cup in November. We may well, but I'm not inviting that kind of hubris.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #3960
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving was also at the columbus-montreal game, so it's conceivable that he is interested in elements of both the sabres and blue jackets teams, as he scouted them both twice now.

What is the common denominator between what might be available on those two teams? Or what might both teams want that calgary would be willing to give up?