Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #121
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have 70,000 yen in 10,000 denomination notes if anybody is planning to buy some currency before leaving (I got a refund from a store in cash during my trip last week). I'd be willing to sell at the XE.com close rate.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #122
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Doing a 14 day trip in April next year as well, starting in Tokyo for 5 days, then staying in Osaka and doing Osaka/Kyoto for 6 days, then staying in Hiroshima for 3 days. Definitely split up the trip, don't stay in Tokyo for that long.

I recommend booking accommodations soon. A lot of the ones with decent prices or in good locations are already gone. Depends what style you are looking for though, we went with a combination of hotel, hostel and airbnb. As for wifi, I'm finding when I was booking that a lot of the places included a pocket wifi device for you to use.

What type of things are interesting to you? Museums? Temples? Hikes? Photo/scenic areas?

I'm already planning a second trip for fall/winter in Hokkaido, I think that would be spectacular.

I think I might do something similar here. Stay in Tokyo for the first 5 days then activate the rail pass, and head to Osaka for 5, and then thinking of someplace fun like Tottori where the kids can play on the beaches and sand dunes for a couple of days before heading back to Tokyo. I guess I am just not sure if I should stick the Tokyo time in the tail end of the trip or the beginning. I imagine we will probably pick up a bunch of weird stuff like Kit Kats or Sanrio trinkets, so most of that would probably be while we're in Japan. Not sure if lugging a suitcase around full of exotic Kit Kats would be worth it.

I do have some stuff to attend to in Tokyo when I get there, so I can't go right away. I guess maybe arrival day + 1 in Tokyo and then activate the rail pass and go to Osaka, etc.

My wife and I are kind of opposites on how we like to travel, but it seems to work out. She would rather have a very intensively planned itinerary for every day, with a list of 20 things to do that day and try to get everything done. I like to do a few things and relax a bit and experience life as a local and if something interesting happens that we didn't expect, or some awesome playground on our way to somewhere then we change our plans and see where that leads.

I have seen endless Buddhist temples in visits to China and the mountains around there. I will probably only want to see one or two, but aside from that don't really want to go out of the way for another temple.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #123
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was about to splurge on a nice traditional ryokan with an onsen just north of Kyoto as a one day treat. When I started to get more into the booking, there were a whackload of extra charges suddeny tacked on, so I aborted that. The price basically went from $450 for the night, to almost $900 for our family. We have just been booking a bunch of hostels in Japan so far, and I haven't seen this yet kind of extra tax yet. Are there any traditional ryokans that do the whole "nine yards" that are reasonably priced? I was okay with the $450 for the one night thing, but wanted something really memorable for that.

So, I have got some stuff booked in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. Still thinking about the trip back to Tokyo now. What are some cool neighborhoods to stay around there? I was thinking Akihabara looks neat.

Also - any Tokyo residents here? I would have a small favour to ask, perhaps I can offer something in return from Canada. Just picking up a package from an embassy that might not be ready until after I have left. Nothing weird or anything.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #124
CETokyo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Wormius - I am a Tokyo resident and ..... willing to try and assist a fellow CP'er.
Maybe PM me about the "package" haha
CETokyo is offline   Reply With Quote