Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #61
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Janko should be getting a good chance at being with Mangipane and Neal. There's undeniable chemistry between the two young players.
This is a good point though. Janko with eatbread have history.

Fro with Ryan would be excellent.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #62
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Monahan is like a carbon copy of his dad, Jesus
His Dad looks like a teenager compared to the rest of the group. Some dads look pretty old((
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #63
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just don't see Jankowski and Neal panning out as a combo. Both like to shoot. Maybe Frolik would be savvy enough to make that combo work. But playing Czarnik on his off side or a rookie like Mangiapane doesn't sound like a trio set up for success
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #64
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Even if you don't know what any of their dads look like, I bet you can pick out Monahan the Elder in this photo...
https://twitter.com/user/status/1069681470904655872
Anyone able to identify all of the dads?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #65
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
I just don't see Jankowski and Neal panning out as a combo. Both like to shoot. Maybe Frolik would be savvy enough to make that combo work. But playing Czarnik on his off side or a rookie like Mangiapane doesn't sound like a trio set up for success

Janko's a 50/50 guy. Most times when he is shooting he's all alone. Are we quick to forget that sweet sweet pass to whoever it was for their goal from behind the net? Janko can playmake.

And Mangipane I think shoots more. But both know eachother well from the farm and I think they can as a pair help Neal get producing the goals. And Janko's been really really good getting pucks using his body this season. Well more the last month but he really is coming on.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #66
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely feel that the Flames should be utilizing Jankowski more. He has been playing well for a stretch, and probably deserves to be promoted. Ryan has been a MUCH improved player, however. I honestly couldn't stand him, and this is coming from a fan who didn't hate Brouwer (hated the contract, but either way I am glad he is not a Flame any longer).

What I do see with too much regularity is a lack of offensive acumen coming from Ryan. I disagree that it is more important for a 3rd line center to generate strong CORSI. Seriously, nobody who has been watching this team for the last couple of seasons can possibly structure an argument centred around CORSI vs depth scoring at this point, can they? That was the futility of the Calgary Flames last season.

On top of this, Jankowski was being groomed in the NCAA to become a 200-ft C. He was tasked with shutting down opposing players as well as provide much needed scoring. I strongly feel that Jankowski SHOULD be given both more opportunity and responsibility at this point. Playing 4th line minutes with players devoid of much offensive acumen is not going to help his offensive development - you are just going to groom a bigger Ryan in the long run.

The main issue is Ryan's contract. That's too much cap hit and term for a player that can't provide much in the way of depth scoring. I think the Flames are being patient with him. I have no idea why he has been a mainstay on PP2, though this past game he actually looked good on PP2 (timing of this argument has not been good - I think we can mostly agree that Ryan hasn't been effective on PP2 at all).

I really think that the smart thing is to push Jankowski a bit here. That's where the long term interests of this squad is, and depth scoring is absolutely critical for a team to have any sustained success in this league. Doesn't matter how good your CORSI is if your team is being out-scored in the end, right? I would agree if Jankowski has been a complete liability in his own zone, or simply isn't playing well. I argue he has been playing very well and has shown more consistency, and you have to reward him for it, even if that reward comes at Ryan's expense who also has been playing well.

Besides, Ryan hasn't been able to get much going for Neal. Right now, that's probably a very high priority. Flames definitely need to be more than a 4-man scoring threat. Neal has to get going, and Ryan just doesn't seem able to set his line-mates up or generate any discernible amount of offence. Jankowski has shown he can, at least inconsistently, but he is also a young guy in this league and one can assume he is still developing and improving. I would say it is time to give Jankowski a long look with Neal and see if they can't develop some chemistry.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: