Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I said this in the GT but I thought Kylington has looked pretty bad the last few games and horrendous last night. Would rather see Prout play over him.
You will feel better about the 7 minutes of meaningless ice time Prout offers instead of investing in a player that could be a big part of the franchise soon? He's a young player learning how to compete at the next level....where does he learn if not now? This is exactly the backwards thinking that gets you in the position of playing/signing crummy and basically unplayable waiver quality players like Grossman, Bartkowski, Prout.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
He's also 31 with minimal upside. He's been good as opposed to terrible (at the start of the year), he hasn't been excellent.

Meanwhile we are pulling another Sam Bennett with Jankowski, being buried with scrubs on the 4th line after greatly improving his play from the start of the year.
A third line center is supposed to drive possession, win faceoffs, and chip in some goals. That's exactly what he's doing, hence the "excellent".

Janko has been doing fine. If he wants the 3C, then take it from "the old Ryan." Spots aren't given to develop guys, they need to be better than their current spot to move up. This isn't Edmonton.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #23
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
You will feel better about the 7 minutes of meaningless ice time Prout offers instead of investing in a player that could be a big part of the franchise soon? He's a young player learning how to compete at the next level....where does he learn if not now? This is exactly the backwards thinking that gets you in the position of playing/signing crummy and basically unplayable waiver quality players like Grossman, Bartkowski, Prout.

He is learning. Get him up in the press box to do some more learning and thinking from above. “Investing” in young players doesn’t mean just throwing them in the deep end and feeding them ice time, when they make mistake after mistake.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames head coach Bill Peters confirms that RW Austin Czarnik and D Dalton Prout will both be in lineup against Blue Jackets.

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
Updates from #Flames practice:

- Dalton Prout will play vs. #BlueJackets (former team)

- Austin Czarnik is in

- Goaltender TBD
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #25
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He is learning. Get him up in the press box to do some more learning and thinking from above. “Investing” in young players doesn’t mean just throwing them in the deep end and feeding them ice time, when they make mistake after mistake.
Bah that rhetoric is so overblown it's just like the need for a face puncher in the lineup way of thinking. Prout makes the Flames a far worse team than they are with Kylington either on or off his game. If everyone learned so much from watching, all these healthy scratches around the league would be all star material by now.

Good players/prospects learn from bad games. Providing them with the chance to redeem themselves is how you better them on and off the ice. I don't mind sitting him at this stage, but not when the alternative is an extremely flawed and limited player that has no chance of getting better at this point in his career.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #26
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Getting Prout and Czar into the lineup while their dads are there to watch them is also a major consideration for the organization.

Players on the roster made the moves justifiable, so in they go while their dads are there to watch them. No one left out, no one marginalized.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #27
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Except for Mr. Rittich who might not get to see his son play.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #28
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Except for Mr. Rittich who might not get to see his son play.
let's hope it doesn't come to that
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
Steveyoto
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I said this in the GT but I thought Kylington has looked pretty bad the last few games and horrendous last night. Would rather see Prout play over him.
For having played 5 total NHL games I am not on board with your comment. He wasn't great, but man he plays with heart, reminds me of Tkachuk in that regard.
Steveyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if you don't know what any of their dads look like, I bet you can pick out Monahan the Elder in this photo...
https://twitter.com/user/status/1069681470904655872

Funny, I was thinking the same thing...
https://twitter.com/user/status/1069697142715908096
Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #31
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Even if you don't know what any of their dads look like, I bet you can pick out Monahan the Elder in this photo...

Never seen so many "Dad jeans" in one place.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #32
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
They're still investing in him. Improving him doesn't always mean that he's playing. They're investing in Dube and he's not with the big club.

Columbus is a tough team with a couple face punchers, best to have a bigger one if it comes down to it. I like it when Benny steps up, Hathaway too, but I don't like either of them getting injured by stepping outside their weightclass.

In the long run, our defence are just fine. Andersson and Valimaki will be back in soon enough playing well, and Kylington will have a spot in a couple years. It's just learning however you can at this point.
Flames67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
For the love of God, put Janks on the third line with Mangi and Neal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Um...No. Have you been watching Ryan? The guy has been an excellent 3C. Leave him alone.
Quote:
A third line center is supposed to drive possession, win faceoffs, and chip in some goals. That's exactly what he's doing, hence the "excellent".

Janko has been doing fine. If he wants the 3C, then take it from "the old Ryan." Spots aren't given to develop guys, they need to be better than their current spot to move up. This isn't Edmonton.
Ryan may be 'doing fine', but by the metrics listed above, Jankowski is doing a lot better.

Ryan has had 39% more ice-time, and 41 minutes of PP time to Jankowski's 4 minutes, and Ryan has had better line-mates overall. Yet Jankowski is producing more points.

So if Ryan is doing fine, then Jankowski is doing great and deserves a bump in the lineup.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #34
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Monahan is like a carbon copy of his dad, Jesus
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #35
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Ryan may be 'doing fine', but by the metrics listed above, Jankowski is doing a lot better.

Ryan has had 39% more ice-time, and 41 minutes of PP time to Jankowski's 4 minutes, and Ryan has had better line-mates overall. Yet Jankowski is producing more points.

So if Ryan is doing fine, then Jankowski is doing great and deserves a bump in the lineup.
The metrics listed above were:

Drive Possession first. Ryan has been near or at the top of the team.
Win faceoffs second. Ryan is far superior here too.
Chip in some goals third. The words Chip and Some are critical here. Chip and Some are small and less significant. But he has also accomplished this as well.

Janko is fine, but if he wants the 3C spot, then he needs to take it. That he hasn't done. I hope he does, but right now he is exactly where he needs to be.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #36
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

David Rittich is a better goalie than Mike Smith. I understand them slowly handing the reigns over to Rittich but I would not understand giving Mike Smith the starters job back based on one good game.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The metrics listed above were:

Drive Possession first. Ryan has been near or at the top of the team.
Win faceoffs second. Ryan is far superior here too.
Chip in some goals third. The words Chip and Some are critical here. Chip and Some are small and less significant. But he has also accomplished this as well.

Janko is fine, but if he wants the 3C spot, then he needs to take it. That he hasn't done. I hope he does, but right now he is exactly where he needs to be.
So points are not important, but possession stats are? Glad you are not the coach.

I am not a Ryan hater. But for the last few games, as good as Ryan has played, Jankowski has been better. He has more offensive skill (which is what the 3rd line, i.e. Neal, needs) and more upside.

Ryan does a good job with face-offs and possession stats, as you say. He makes a great 4th line C.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #38
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't mind Kylington watching for a game but I'd feel a lot better about it if it wasn't so Prout can draw in.

Dads trip and former team aside, I don't really consider him NHL calibre. Good thing is those two aspects surrounding the game should boost his confidence so I expect a decent showing from him.

I still think he's our 9th best dman when everyone is healthy though.

Good to see Czarnik draw back in.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #39
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully David Rittich starts tomorrow in Columbus.

I feel that he gives the Flames their best chance to win against a tough opponent.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #40
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hamonic okay from the hit? no broken nose for him? been a rough start to him so far.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote