Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #61
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
You mean the 2-3 "good" teams who buy their way into the playoffs every year? No one should ever follow the model of baseball. It's barely a sport.
7 different teams have won the World Series in the last 10 years.

5 different teams have won the Stanley Cup in the last 10 years.

Just sayin.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #62
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
7 different teams have won the World Series in the last 10 years.

5 different teams have won the Stanley Cup in the last 10 years.

Just sayin.
10 different people in Canada watched baseball playoffs the past 10 years... Just sayin

Can't wait to see the Roger Exec's faces when you tell them that they are cutting the potential of 105 playoff games down to 41....

How many people would attend games at the Dome if the Flames are out by January like last year?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #63
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I have no idea what you are going on about now, so i will let you continue unfettered.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #64
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You mean the 2-3 "good" teams who buy their way into the playoffs every year? No one should ever follow the model of baseball. It's barely a sport.
Yup. Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox for purchasing another championship.

Yawn.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #65
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I have no idea what you are going on about now, so i will let you continue unfettered.
Baseball playoffs is no good.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #66
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
10 different people in Canada watched baseball playoffs the past 10 years... Just sayin

Can't wait to see the Roger Exec's faces when you tell them that they are cutting the potential of 105 playoff games down to 41....

How many people would attend games at the Dome if the Flames are out by January like last year?
It’s pretty well established that if you’re not in a playoff position by American thanksgiving (so, November), then odds are against making up ground and getting into the playoffs.

So. Keeping hope until January isn’t too bad actually.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #67
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
8 divisions of 4 teams in each conference. Division winners advance to playoffs. Teams with four next best records make it. Playoff seedings based on records (division winners 1 to 4) and next best (5 to 8).

Schedule doesn't have to be balanced.

Similar to NFL format but with 4 wild cards instead of 2. Flames would play with Vancouver, Seattle and Edmonton.
My initial thoughts are for a model along this line too. 8 divisions of 4 teams. The part I don't think would fly is the the bold part. I don't think Seattle (or the NHL) would be keen on having a US team with no other US cities within their own division. Maybe replace Seattle with Winnipeg but then there is the issue of time zones.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #68
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_81 View Post
Can u imagine... Being drafted in an Expansion draft twice in such a short span?!
There was a handful of these in the early 90s (and a few who were taken THREE times):
  • Anatoli Semenov was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning then the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
  • Bob McGill was drafted by the San Jose Sharks then Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Darren Puppa was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning then Florida Panthers
  • Denis Vial was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
  • Glenn Healy was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
  • Jim Thomson was drafted by the Minnesota North Stars then Ottawa Senators then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (off the LA Kings each time!)
  • Lonnie Loach was drafted by the Ottawa Senators then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
  • Randy Gilhen was drafted by the Minnesota North Stars then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
  • Rob Ramage was drafted by the Minnesota North Stars then Tampa Bay Lightning

And the expansion drafts from 1998-2000:
  • Chris Armstrong was drafted by the Nashville Predators and Minnesota Wild
  • Jamie Pushor was drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers and Columbus Blue Jackets
  • Frederic Chabot was taken by the Tampa Bay Lightning, Nashville Predators and Columbus Blue Jackets (!!)
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #69
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

76 game season would be ideal and very simple (7x4games; 24x2 games). It's a 7.3% reduction in supply - I don't think it would be too detrimental to gate revenue, but probably moreso to TV contracts.

A 5v4 play-in game in each division would help offset a fair bit though.

For final four, I would determine home ice seed based on goal differential between the teams involved in their games for that season. Mitigates a team that manages to rack up a ton of points because their division sucks. It would suck for a 112 pt 1 seed from the Pacific to be the road team against a 97 pt 3 seed from the Central that makes it through their division, just because you beat them once by 1 and they beat you once by 2...but those are the breaks and it just means that every game matters. It would also reward goal-scoring.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't charge a team $500M USD (or whatever it was) to join, and then cut the schedule - and thus the revenues - by 7.5%.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #71
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Baseball playoffs is no good.
lol
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #72
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You don't charge a team $500M USD (or whatever it was) to join, and then cut the schedule - and thus the revenues - by 7.5%.
I'm not convinced $500M has or will ever change hands in either case (though I'm sure there are a few roundabout ways the league could come close to justifying this number).

I think the argument would be that you are trimming off the worst 7.3% of opportunities to generate revenue (e.g. Monday night in Feb Flames vs. Preds game), as well as ~7.3% of operating costs (but not sunk costs) which are far more consistent. Then replacing that with far fewer, but significantly better opportunities to generate more revenue per opportunity.

As many teams will really miss those gate revenues as will appreciate missing them...for the rest it would shake out pretty evenly. As for TV, maybe you only shorten the season by one week instead of two. Regional deals would suffer more than national deals, who would maintain almost as many prime supply slots as before.

Maybe it shakes out to a 5% total HRR reduction. But it might be worth it to improve the quality and sustainability the product (fewer injuries to stars, easier to accommodate the Olympics, every game matters even more, etc.).

To be clear, the players would have to agree to this, knowing that it would decrease their final take home pay. I know I'd take 7% less gross for 7% more time off...that last 7% of pay is taxed at the highest rate...

FWIW; 30 teams x 82 = 2460 reg games.
32 teams x 76 = 2432.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote