Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #222
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
A major penalty punishes the team far more than the player. Getting kicked out of that game, without any supplementary discipline, doesn't cost Kunitz a cent. While I think a suspension might be excessive, a fine is probably in order.
You gotta take off your homer glasses. That was not intentional, Kunitz has never been a dirty player by any stretch as I recall, and truly if you start suspending or issuing fines for plays like that you set a terrible precedent.

And they thinking is you punish the player because he doesn’t get to play the rest of the game. The fines don’t cost the players more than an expensive night out and are hardly noticeable to a vet like Kunitz.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #223
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
You gotta take off your homer glasses. That was not intentional, Kunitz has never been a dirty player by any stretch as I recall, and truly if you start suspending or issuing fines for plays like that you set a terrible precedent.

And they thinking is you punish the player because he doesn’t get to play the rest of the game. The fines don’t cost the players more than an expensive night out and are hardly noticeable to a vet like Kunitz.
You are wrong about Kunitz. He has a rep as a dirty player.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 12:33 AM   #224
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You gotta take off your homer glasses.
Ah, the old ‘homer glasses’ argument. It's funny how a guy can go for years and years without ever wearing homer glasses, and suddenly, wham! there they are stuck on his face. And then, as soon as the debate is over and the other party is no longer interested in scoring cheap rhetorical points, pop! off go the glasses, never to be seen again… until the next time when an accusation of homerism comes in handy.

It's a weak insult, and no substitute for an argument.

Quote:
That was not intentional,
He skated directly into Hamonic, raising his elbow as he approached, and smashed him right in the nose. You don't put your elbow up there unintentionally.

Quote:
Kunitz has never been a dirty player by any stretch as I recall,
He's got a fairly substantial rap sheet. Among other things, he has achieved the fairly difficult feat of getting suspended in the playoffs.

Quote:
and truly if you start suspending or issuing fines for plays like that you set a terrible precedent.
What, a terrible precedent that you're not allowed to smash guys' faces with your elbow?

Quote:
And they thinking is you punish the player because he doesn’t get to play the rest of the game.
A sound way of thinking in recreational hockey. The pros aren't playing just for the fun of it, but for the money, which is why I say they should hit serious offenders in the pocketbook.

Quote:
The fines don’t cost the players more than an expensive night out and are hardly noticeable to a vet like Kunitz.
That just says that the fines aren't big enough. I would suggest he ought to be fined about $12,000, which would cancel out his pay for that game.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 AM   #225
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Does anyone know who Hamonic had in the dad's box?
I'm pretty sure it's his brother that's on the dads trip. Although, sportsnet's audio was cutting out so they had to throw back the Rick Ball and Casie what's-her-face.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #226
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And I think that's key.

As fans we all assume "our team" is in charge of everything. When they dominate it's because they are good, when they don't it's because they took their foot off the gas.

The other team has a say in things.

Having said that I liked that Monahan mentioned they were cheating after the first. Things were going so well they all started leaning offensively to get their points and it went the other way.

We saw that in the first. We saw it in the second after the five minute penalty, and we saw it again in the third with the late push by Chicago.

The next step for this team is to play the game that is front of them ... when the other team is on the ropes go throat but don't cheat offensively when the other team is pushing.

Does anyone know who Hamonic had in the dad's box?
It's his brother Jesse
Old 12-04-2018, 06:14 AM   #227
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You are wrong about Kunitz. He has a rep as a dirty player.
He's no Matt Cooke, but Kunitz has always played sneaky dirty.
Strong dislike for him due to cheap shots.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #228
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
You gotta take off your homer glasses. That was not intentional, Kunitz has never been a dirty player by any stretch as I recall, and truly if you start suspending or issuing fines for plays like that you set a terrible precedent...
Jay Random’s rebuttal was masterful, but I am interested in hearing more about this “terrible precedent” you imagine that would result from suspending Kunitz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #229
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Jay Random’s rebuttal was masterful, but I am interested in hearing more about this “terrible precedent” you imagine that would result from suspending Kunitz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm guessing it's about then having to issue all kinds of suspensions for incidental contact. Which assumes that Kunitz' lifting of the elbow on a fly-by was incidental.

I bet if you ask players what's dirty, they don't talk about the obvious "took a run at the guy" checks into the boards or open ice hits. Those normally result in someone answering the bell. I bet they have a greater dislike for the sneaky "tried to get away and look innocent" stuff. The sneaky jabs with sticks, slewfoots, elbows, etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote