Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #241
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Quinn was traded for "old" Mike Bullard, of course. I remember when Quinn was traded to the Pens he said "well I won;t mind not losing to the Oilers all the time". And then Calgary beat the Oilers in the POs.

Looking at 86 it's a little surprising how many guys were no longer there when they won in 89 (some of them key guys). Tonelli, Reinhart, Bullard, Wilson, Bozek, Sheehy, Risebrough, Berezan, Bradley, etc. 5 out of the top 10 points guys were moved by the time they won the cup.

Maybe there's a lesson in that.
Quinn was on the team through the 86 playoffs. was the leading scorer in the regular season (Mullen had more points combined Stl/Cgy) but writing was on the wall as he didn't feature prominently at all in the playoffs

you are certainly right that many key names from 86 were gone, I guess the key core remaining group included 3 key 86 rookies (Vernon, Otto, Suter), a small number of home grown core players that were in their prime by 89 (MacInnis, Loob, to a lesser extent Patterson, Macoun), their newly acquired star (Mullen) and the old grizzled vets (Lanny, Peplinski, T. Hunter- I realize the last 2 weren't actually old, but Peplinski in particular was essentially done after 89)

Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Hull (* gone by 89) were just starting to percolate up in the system (Hull dressing for 2 games in the finals, Roberts was a black ace)

Last edited by looooob; 12-17-2018 at 12:24 PM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #242
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's impossible to put together NHL teams today as dominant as the 88-89 Flames (or the 00-01 Avalanche, 01-02 Red Wings, etc.). Those teams had not only elite top-end talent, but star veteran players right through the lineup. The cap put an end to rosters that stacked.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #243
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I had Quinn off by a year, though I do remember that quote because it pissed me off.

Bullard came for the cheap surgery from McSorely a couple years later.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #244
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Nah, come on, of course there are better teams.

There just aren't dynastic juggernauts roaming the league able to put up 100+ goal differentials. The league is different than it was 30 years ago.

In relation to the here and now, the flames are largely scoring at will. They have averaged over 3.5 goals per game 15 times in franchise history, and this is the only time since 94.

Second in the league in goals for.

This is as close to a flames 80s team as we've seen since....the 80s.
Flames had some good regular seasons in the early 90's, where they scored a lot of goals and hit triple digits in points. Of course we know how those seasons ended so maybe we don't want to compare.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #245
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would really like to see people stop talking about 89, or who the contenders are, or what pieces we need for the playoffs, or anything like that.

One game at a time. And never go full Oiler.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #246
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's impossible to put together NHL teams today as dominant as the 88-89 Flames (or the 00-01 Avalanche, 01-02 Red Wings, etc.). Those teams had not only elite top-end talent, but star veteran players right through the lineup. The cap put an end to rosters that stacked.

I think the Hawks were close to that, taking advantage of a lot of entry level contracts. Their first cup team had a projected cap hit way over the cap the following year so they had to sell off pieces like Buff.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #247
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I would really like to see people stop talking about 89, or who the contenders are, or what pieces we need for the playoffs, or anything like that.

Agreed. Too much fanciful imagination. Don’t want that getting in the ether and players getting big heads. Team needs to continually prove itself, zero complacency.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #248
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I'm tired of people discussing things on here. Let's come back and talk if they win the Cup.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #249
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, I'm tired of people discussing things on here. Let's come back and talk if they win the Cup.
Never go full oiler!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #250
redpaint
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are we not allowed to be excited? We are fans and not players, why should have to think one game at a time.

quit Quine-ing!
Old 12-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #251
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think it's bad karma
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #252
redpaint
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

To be fair, I wasn't even involved in the discussion. Just need more excuses to use my Quine puns.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #253
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So let me get this straight. This team has it's best start in 30 years, and you want people.. who pay good money to consume this product as well as invest emotionally to not be excited? This team is playing incredibly, and instead of thinking about our draft position, we are thinking about a potential deep playoff run. That is rare around these parts. I think it is perfectly reasonable to be unreasonably excited. Let CP enjoy being in a positive state of mind for once, instead of the sky falling like we are so used to.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #254
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
So let me get this straight. This team has it's best start in 30 years, and you want people.. who pay good money to consume this product as well as invest emotionally to not be excited? This team is playing incredibly, and instead of thinking about our draft position, we are thinking about a potential deep playoff run. That is rare around these parts. I think it is perfectly reasonable to be unreasonably excited. Let CP enjoy being in a positive state of mind for once, instead of the sky falling like we are so used to.
Where did I say that? What ever happened to reading comprehension? I don't know if you've noticed, but in the past few days I have posted on here as much as anyone, greatly enjoying the fantastic run the boys are on.

I just think talking about '89 and cup finals is a bit premature.

Just enjoy the wins! I know I am. We can talk about that without getting ahead of ourselves.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #255
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I say that? What ever happened to reading comprehension? I don't know if you've noticed, but in the past few days I have posted on here as much as anyone, greatly enjoying the fantastic run the boys are on.

I just think talking about '89 and cup finals is a bit premature.

Just enjoy the wins! I know I am. We can talk about that without getting ahead of ourselves.
As someone who was only 2 years old in 89, it's really great learning all of these stories and stats from back then. I don't see how there is anything wrong with that.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #256
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

What shall we post about then? Is there an approved list of topics? Personally, i'm kinda sick of people complaining about what other people post on a message board. Awe crap, I think I just got stuck in some sort of logic loop....
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #257
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say, I was very impressed with Jankowski this weekend. After a poor start to the season he is really finding the offensive side of his game. Its also nice that he has turned into such an effective penalty killer.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #258
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Gotta say, I was very impressed with Jankowski this weekend. After a poor start to the season he is really finding the offensive side of his game. Its also nice that he has turned into such an effective penalty killer.
Absolutely.

Jankowski had two assists in his first ten games. Since November he has scored 4 goals and 11 points in 21. He creates a lot of room out there when he is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote