Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #3381
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It sounds like Norm Macdonald's show from September absolutely bombed and was hated by Netflix to boot. On Marc Maron's podcast with Letterman, Letterman made a (lighthearted) quip about Marc rambling on about nothing.

Maron chimed in "Yeah, it's starting to sound like Norm's show". Letterman laughed really hard and then they went into it a little bit. Sounded like Letterman vouched for it and told the Netflix guys it would be amazing, but Norm ended up being even more waylaid and rambly than usual and they were really pissed off about the show and the promotion they put into it as something to watch.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #3382
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It sounds like Norm Macdonald's show from September absolutely bombed and was hated by Netflix to boot. On Marc Maron's podcast with Letterman, Letterman made a (lighthearted) quip about Marc rambling on about nothing.

Maron chimed in "Yeah, it's starting to sound like Norm's show". Letterman laughed really hard and then they went into it a little bit. Sounded like Letterman vouched for it and told the Netflix guys it would be amazing, but Norm ended up being even more waylaid and rambly than usual and they were really pissed off about the show and the promotion they put into it as something to watch.
In other words, Norm Macdonald keeps doing exactly what makes him Norm Macdonald. Love that guy.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #3383
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Letterman produced the show. I don't know what they were expecting. That show was 100% Norm and his fans like me loved it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #3384
jayswin

Exp:

I think the guest list could have been a lot better with such a short season. It was kind of a weird deal as he absolutely killed it on his youtube/podcast version and had killer guests.

The Netflix one I found a few of the guests to be a little dull and unhelping with his interviews. Norm is amazing on his own without the guest giving anything, but it's soooo much better when you have someone that gets him and can keep up with him.

That's where the Spade, Jim Carrey, Gilbert Godfried type guests elevate so much. But they only wanted to repeat Letterman.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #3385
jayswin

Exp:

Did Letterman produce it though? I thought that initially but then read that he was just a part executive producer and wasn't really involved much other than wanting to back Norm and get him on Netflix.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #3386
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That has to be pretty awful for even Netflix to put the kibosh on it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #3387
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The new season of Black Mirror is up. Only 3 episodes sadly.
TV Producers believing 'less is more.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #3388
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Did Letterman produce it though? I thought that initially but then read that he was just a part executive producer and wasn't really involved much other than wanting to back Norm and get him on Netflix.
Yeah, it's more like his production company, Worldwide Pants, produced it. I doubt he was on set other than his episode.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #3389
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

When They See Us was incredible. It's an account of the Central Park Five, telling over five hours how these kids were railroaded through the justice system by the police and courts, til the time they got out of juvenile detention/prison and how they coped while in the system and afterwards.

I kept thinking 'this is unreal!' It's pretty tragic and gut-wrenching at times, and doesn't pull any punches with the social commentary. I sat down to watch one episode, and the next thing I knew it was 3:30am and I'd watched them all, completely engaged throughout.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #3390
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
When They See Us was incredible. It's an account of the Central Park Five, telling over five hours how these kids were railroaded through the justice system by the police and courts, til the time they got out of juvenile detention/prison and how they coped while in the system and afterwards.

I kept thinking 'this is unreal!' It's pretty tragic and gut-wrenching at times, and doesn't pull any punches with the social commentary. I sat down to watch one episode, and the next thing I knew it was 3:30am and I'd watched them all, completely engaged throughout.

If you liked that, you should watch "Time: The Kalief Browder Story". It's pretty a tragic story.

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80187052
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #3391
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If you liked that, you should watch "Time: The Kalief Browder Story". It's pretty a tragic story.

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80187052
Will do, cheers!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 AM   #3392
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Netflix Canada Discussion

Ergh. Finished Black Mirror. Not really impressed. The episodes, except for “Smithereens”, felt like rehashes of “San Junipero” and a little of “The Waldo Moment”. I dunno. It didn’t really have that same kind of cutting commentary on technology in society that previous seasons had.

Anybody else watch the latest season?

Also... “Miranda Sings!”, would have liked some indication that this wasn’t a kids show. Kind of started off as the character, and then just went weird and I had to stop it.

Last edited by Wormius; 06-07-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #3393
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Letterman produced the show. I don't know what they were expecting. That show was 100% Norm and his fans like me loved it.
That is weird. I actually wasn't even a fan of Norm until I watched that show and I loved it. Then I went down a rabbit hole of watching every Norm MacDonald thing ever on YouTube. Now I love the dude. Too bad it's cancelled.

My favourite was when he startled Drew Barrymore. She wasn't my favourite guest, but startling her was hilarious.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #3394
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Ergh. Finished Black Mirror. Not really impressed. The episodes, except for “Smithereens”, felt like rehashes of “San Junipero” and a little of “The Waldo Moment”. I dunno. It didn’t really have that same kind of cutting commentary on technology in society that previous seasons had.

Anybody else watch the latest season?
Really didn't like it. Smithereens was the only decent episode but I think that was mostly the actors. It was a little predictable.

Couldn't believe how dumb the Miley Cyrus one was
Old 06-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #3395
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved Norm's Netflix show, but the guests weren't that great. The one with Spade was awesome, then the Barrymore, Letterman and Judge Judy ones were decent, the rest were meh.

It was interesting to see how a Netflix show that's basically a podcast on Netflix would do. I know Netflix asked Rogan if he'd bring his podcast over there but he said he wants to keep it 100% free.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #3396
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I liked the Norm show, I watched some episodes more than once.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #3397
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a shame that everything Norm makes is almost guaranteed to be cancelled early. For someone that is universally praised as funny and brilliant he seems to have a deceptively limited appeal.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #3398
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I meant Striking Vipers was the only decent episode, not Smithereens. Oops.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #3399
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

One of the effing racist-in-chief’s finer POS actions.

Heart-wrenching.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #3400
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love, Death, and Robots renewed for a second season

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-joins-1216997
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post: