Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 396 62.86%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 165 26.19%
Not sure 37 5.87%
Climate change is a hoax 32 5.08%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2022, 02:03 PM   #2901
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I do think the conflict in Ukraine has hardened the resolve for the EU nations on energy security and getting off of regionally constrained commodities. They've gone all in on eliminating fossil fuels as quickly as possible. High prices necessitate demand destruction, lots of it will become permanent
Demand destruction in this case will probably be the end of Europe's ambitions of being a great power to rival the US or China as it loses much of its industry, as well as significantly increased excess winter deaths from colder indoor temperatures. Its decades long energy policy has made it simply too energy-poor to ever compete against energy rich North America, or China and its pragmatic energy policies.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #2902
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Demand destruction in this case will probably be the end of Europe's ambitions of being a great power to rival the US or China as it loses much of its industry, as well as significantly increased excess winter deaths from colder indoor temperatures. Its decades long energy policy has made it simply too energy-poor to ever compete against energy rich North America, or China and its pragmatic energy policies.
By far the biggest mistake was thinking cheap imported gas from Russia wouldn't come at a geopolitical cost, though there are other mistakes for sure.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #2903
Party Elephant
First Line Centre
 
Party Elephant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canterbury, NZ
Exp:
Default

New Climate Town dropped!

Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 06:30 AM   #2904
Harry Lime
Franchise Player
 
Harry Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Exp:
Default

I love how every sport has a series of 'bold predictions' before the start of any league. Not long ago, the NHL and now NBA. Here is mine for the climate crisis.

As the world concentrates on fossil fuels and carbon emission, the true threat lies below us. Decades of uncontrolled fishing, and trolling of seabeds, acidification, algae blooms, dead spots and islands of garbage, the oceans surrounding south east asia will be the first to stop supplying sustenance to over a billion people, leading to a starvation event like the world has never seen.

I'm going to throw $100 down in Vegas on this, and see if I get lucky.
__________________
"We don't even know who our best player is yet. It could be any one of us at this point." - Peter LaFleur, player/coach, Average Joe's Gymnasium
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #2905
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Nancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunnyvale nursing home
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/user/status/1585785122720137217
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #2906
GordonBlue
Franchise Player
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
leaving aside the kid thing, seems there is a lot people here can do that wouldn't change their lives much.
Travel less, and drive less. How many posters here have 2 or more cars?
Get rid of one of them and maybe take fewer big trips and you'd be doing a lot.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #2907
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I love how every sport has a series of 'bold predictions' before the start of any league. Not long ago, the NHL and now NBA. Here is mine for the climate crisis.

As the world concentrates on fossil fuels and carbon emission, the true threat lies below us. Decades of uncontrolled fishing, and trolling of seabeds, acidification, algae blooms, dead spots and islands of garbage, the oceans surrounding south east asia will be the first to stop supplying sustenance to over a billion people, leading to a starvation event like the world has never seen.

I'm going to throw $100 down in Vegas on this, and see if I get lucky.
ďItís already too late to avoid mass starvation.Ē

Thatís from Denis Hayes who organized the first Earth Day in 1970.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #2908
Major Major
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Ah yes, climate change wouldn't be such a problem if we just didn't exist. Weird when the solution and the problem become the same thing.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #2909
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Is it even controversial? Seems relatively obvious.

If you want to be controversial then say the 2nd best thing you can do for the climate is off yourself.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 07:50 AM   #2910
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Nancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunnyvale nursing home
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Is it even controversial? Seems relatively obvious.
Seems so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Ah yes, climate change wouldn't be such a problem if we just didn't exist. Weird when the solution and the problem become the same thing.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:56 AM   #2911
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

You could cut the emissions by 2/3rds by having a Russian child.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #2912
#-3
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Exp:
Default

That graph actually shows that in Canada paying extra for "green" energy is more impactful than going car-less. Which is an interesting result.

Unfortunately a lot of these problems are somewhat institutional.

The childrens expected emissions are based on projects which can be heavily influenced by the amount of societal investment over the next few years.

Living car free for most, would require a robust, easy to use and affordable public transit next work. Just taking Lifts all the time will probably increase the emissions you are causing.

More efficient cars have largely been driven by and continue to be driven by regulation.

And livestock play an important role in the nitrogen cycle. going strictly 100% plant based for everyone would cause a fertilizer, soil quality crisis. and would leave a lot of chaff rotting . While us North American almost certainly do overindulge, plant based for climate reasons is a little too simplistic.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #2913
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

Some good news on Alberta. I wonder how much transmission congestion might lead to low output on sunny and windy days


Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 10-28-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #2914
#-3
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Exp:
Default

I think at some point in renewables development, it is not only going to be about base load generation, but we will need overbuild infrastructure with surge demand. Something like ideal syn-gas production that is not some much energy efficient but a good way to burn off excess wind and solar generation into something that is useful in the future, or gravity generator towers...

Unfortunately I'm not deep enough into it to have a good intuition on what that will end up looking like. But for all of this to work they are going to need to build a fair bit more than 17GW to supply 17GW.

But yes Alberta turn towards renewables has been impressive, and the speed it's happening too.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 07:12 PM   #2915
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I think at some point in renewables development, it is not only going to be about base load generation, but we will need overbuild infrastructure with surge demand. Something like ideal syn-gas production that is not some much energy efficient but a good way to burn off excess wind and solar generation into something that is useful in the future, or gravity generator towers...

Unfortunately I'm not deep enough into it to have a good intuition on what that will end up looking like. But for all of this to work they are going to need to build a fair bit more than 17GW to supply 17GW.

But yes Alberta turn towards renewables has been impressive, and the speed it's happening too.
Absolutely they'll need to build out more, as I'm sure there's people on here itching to type out that installed nameplate capacity isn't actual output. Regardless, I don't see how this is anything but a massive showing of what's possible. An 8x improvement in what, 5-6 years? That's massive. And there's no reason to think that the 17GW in the next 3 years is set in stone. It could very well be higher. Alberta is really showing all of North America how to do it.


All we need to do is get DoubleK on negotiating those inter-ties and the sky is the limit. BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan being supported by lots of wind and solar backed by BC's hydro? Unstoppable
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #2916
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Some good news on Alberta. I wonder how much transmission congestion might lead to low output on sunny and windy days

Nothing in that area and not really anything like we saw pre 2010.

You can see the congestion charges on the AESO website.

Click on market and system reporting. There's actually some congestion right now if you go look.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2022, 08:40 AM   #2917
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Some good news on Alberta. I wonder how much transmission congestion might lead to low output on sunny and windy days

Always felt one of the biggest thing Canadian provinces could do is build out massive solar, wind, hydro & nuclear capacity, and sell it across the border.

10GW is clearly more than Alberta needs, so it has to go elsewhere.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2022, 10:58 AM   #2918
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

Poland just announced a $40B deal with Westinghouse to build 2 new nuclear plants. If there's no delays (which hasn't been accomplished in quite some time), they will start producing electricity in.....



11 years


I'm all for nuclear, but the Russian gas problem will look quite different in 10 years
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #2919
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Poland just announced a $40B deal with Westinghouse to build 2 new nuclear plants. If there's no delays (which hasn't been accomplished in quite some time), they will start producing electricity in.....



11 years


I'm all for nuclear, but the Russian gas problem will look quite different in 10 years
Half owned by Cameco now.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2022, 11:31 AM   #2920
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salmon with Arms
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Half owned by Cameco now.
The deal is specific with the US government though so while good for Cameco financially, most direct spending outside Poland will almost assuredly be to the US
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 PM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021