Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #21
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't know how you dog owners do it. So gross.
I use a very long shovel in our yard.

When on a walk, I hold my breath and bear it. My wife refuses and it's always my job.

Literally the worst part of owning a dog (any animal, really) is cleaning their waste. My dog's love, affection, and loyalty is worth it to me.

That said, I love my human family members more and I would NOT pick up their #####.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
Interesting. Not your neighbour, but I think I'm guilty of this. This was the first winter (and plan to be only winter) that it accumulated to this extent.

We have 2 rather large dogs (Shepard & great dane mix). I used to walk them all the time, and pick up after them. The Shepard's arthritis got really bad, so we just got into the habit of taking him to the backyard. My SO and a friends couple convinced me that its better to leave it to dry for a couple days than pick it up right away, but this winter it accumulated far too much. I am literally not ok with how much dog crap I have back there. Patterns will be changing at my house and any droppings will be removed promptly....too bad I'm not your neighbour.
Can't you just build a little dog run with a gravel pad that you go in and pick up the crap and shovel out the snow?

I don't understand handing your yard over to an animal. Real estate is so expensive. Calculate what each square foot of your yard is worth. And you're just giving that to a dog to use as his bathroom? I can't even come close to understanding this.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #23
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goddamn it does not get much more entertaining on this forum than Sliver and Dog Threads.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #24
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I use a very long shovel in our yard.

When on a walk, I hold my breath and bear it. My wife refuses and it's always my job.

Literally the worst part of owning a dog (any animal, really) is cleaning their waste. My dog's love, affection, and loyalty is worth it to me.

That said, I love my human family members more and I would NOT pick up their #####.
It’s kind of toughened me up. I was kind of sick of myself thinking “eww icky” all the time. Now that I pick up #### everyday, I feel like I can handle anything our incoming child can throw at me, I find the garbage less gross, the sink nasties less gross, etc.

Sure, it’s gross. But it’s really not a big deal, I appreciate that I’ve learned that lesson.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #25
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how you dog owners do it. So gross.

The “spring thaw” is the worst part of dog ownership so you really have to keep on top of it over the winter. Sub zero temps are your friend when it comes to quick dog pickle clean up. We have a dog run and I get out there weekly at a minimum and ideally before any snow so you don’t have layers in the ice during the thaw.

Best method I’ve found is a garden rake and litter box scoop. Frozen pickles pop out of the snow very cleanly with a rake, then the litter scoop sifts out the bit of snow before bagging. Literally 5 mins a couple times a week.

I can’t imagine the spring horror if I left them all winter. Plus your dogs are walking in that, and come the spring thaw, that’s coming into your house on their paws.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
Interesting. Not your neighbour, but I think I'm guilty of this. This was the first winter (and plan to be only winter) that it accumulated to this extent.

We have 2 rather large dogs (Shepard & great dane mix). I used to walk them all the time, and pick up after them. The Shepard's arthritis got really bad, so we just got into the habit of taking him to the backyard. My SO and a friends couple convinced me that its better to leave it to dry for a couple days than pick it up right away, but this winter it accumulated far too much. I am literally not ok with how much dog crap I have back there. Patterns will be changing at my house and any droppings will be removed promptly....too bad I'm not your neighbour.
Are these the type of people that run a tight ship, or are they slobby procrastinators? I mean, if they have a museum-clean house and a manicured property okay, but let's be honest, they're probably pigs giving out advice like this. I'd ignore it.

If your dog ####s, pick it up right away. It's the deal with owning a dog. Plus, it doesn't even make sense. What, are you going to keep track of the date of each pile of ####? Like put little flags on the crap piles with best before stickers? Come on...if there's ####, pick it up. It's so uncomplicated.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #27
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s kind of toughened me up. I was kind of sick of myself thinking “eww icky” all the time. Now that I pick up #### everyday, I feel like I can handle anything our incoming child can throw at me, I find the garbage less gross, the sink nasties less gross, etc.

Sure, it’s gross. But it’s really not a big deal, I appreciate that I’ve learned that lesson.
I got over it pretty quickly too.

I know exactly what my dog eats, so fine, I pick up after her.

I found it less gross to clean up my kid, than I do to clean up the dog.

The kid is half you, half your partner... your dog is a literal animal, so if you can clean up after your dog you can easily handle your own flesh and blood.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #28
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah I don't give one single fata about making them uncomfortable in this situation. I'm more concerned about making myself uncomfortable. Plus, dog people never think their dog is doing anything that bad and they think you getting upset about crap on "their property" is none of your concern. You have to worry about revenge from them. You've called them out for being a slob, they'll naturally want to call you out on anything you do to show that you're not so great either - and they'll do it whether it's warranted or not. Just no point in getting into it.

But yeah, with persistence, Bylaw - at least from my experience - will come out and will eventually clean up the #### and bill them.

And kind of on topic, if you have a neighbour that lets their dog bark outside (that's illegal - even one bark is illegal!) keep a log of date and times of barking. When you call bylaw, let them know you're concerned about the animal's welfare because they're left outside and seem to be in distress. Don't pose it as you're annoyed by the barking because if you get a dog-lover fur-baby-type call centre agent, you've already lost the battle. It needs to be positioned as you're a caring neighbour really worried about this poor neglected doggo and are hoping somebody can come check things out. Give them the dates and times of the barking (needs to be a 30-day log) and you'll see some corrective action.

Reference: Bylaws related to dogs
"As a dog owner, you must ensure your dog does not: Bark, howl or disturb anyone"

I can assure you friend I would be far from uncomfortable, and if they want to call me out and dumb or inconsiderate neighbour #### I do, that's fine. I should do that ####.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I got over it pretty quickly too.

I know exactly what my dog eats, so fine, I pick up after her.

I found it less gross to clean up my kid, than I do to clean up the dog.

The kid is half you, half your partner... your dog is a literal animal, so if you can clean up after your dog you can easily handle your own flesh and blood.
Except barf. That's a mom job. I never did clean up any barf (not including like milk spit up, which isn't really gross). Just makes me gag.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #30
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Goddamn it does not get much more entertaining on this forum than Sliver and Dog Threads.
I secretly hope a scientist creates a Dog/Bear hybrid.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't you just build a little dog run with a gravel pad that you go in and pick up the crap and shovel out the snow?

I don't understand handing your yard over to an animal. Real estate is so expensive. Calculate what each square foot of your yard is worth. And you're just giving that to a dog to use as his bathroom? I can't even come close to understanding this.
I often wondered how hard it is to train a dog to crap and piss in one spot. To me, if I owned a dog, that would be day one training. But no one seems to do it. Is it just to hard to do?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I often wondered how hard it is to train a dog to crap and piss in one spot. To me, if I owned a dog, that would be day one training. But no one seems to do it. Is it just to hard to do?
and people say you can't train cats.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #33
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I can assure you friend I would be far from uncomfortable, and if they want to call me out and dumb or inconsiderate neighbour #### I do, that's fine. I should do that ####.
Yeah, but you're a former soldier/rugby player who knows how to handle himself physically. My old neighbour was a head-tattooed dude who told me he'd "get violent" if I "crossed him" so I had to tread a little more carefully.

Imma call you as my muscle next time I'm in the ####.

But it's not even about the physicality necessarily...I just rather do the smile and wave thing day to day and stab a guy in the back and twist via bylaw. The ends justify the means, amirite?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #34
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
The “spring thaw” is the worst part of dog ownership so you really have to keep on top of it over the winter. Sub zero temps are your friend when it comes to quick dog pickle clean up. We have a dog run and I get out there weekly at a minimum and ideally before any snow so you don’t have layers in the ice during the thaw.

Best method I’ve found is a garden rake and litter box scoop. Frozen pickles pop out of the snow very cleanly with a rake, then the litter scoop sifts out the bit of snow before bagging. Literally 5 mins a couple times a week.

I can’t imagine the spring horror if I left them all winter. Plus your dogs are walking in that, and come the spring thaw, that’s coming into your house on their paws.
Using a power rake is such a good idea... I’m an idiot. Method changed!
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #35
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but you're a former soldier/rugby player who knows how to handle himself physically. My old neighbour was a head-tattooed dude who told me he'd "get violent" if I "crossed him" so I had to tread a little more carefully.
and you wonder why your community takes it in the teeth every year from Avenue Living.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #36
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
But what if they say no? Like you tell them to pick up the #### and they just don't. That's the most likely thing to happen here. Just cut out that step and go straight to consequences. It's not like you can just beat them up as though it's 1847. Unless you want to end up with a criminal record, just let bylaw handle it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But what if they say no? Like you tell them to pick up the #### and they just don't. That's the most likely thing to happen here. Just cut out that step and go straight to consequences. It's not like you can just beat them up as though it's 1847. Unless you want to end up with a criminal record, just let bylaw handle it.
Where have i said to beat up people?

I think a direct approach is the best approach.

If they don't do it, I'd call bylaw.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #38
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Someone needs to come up with the guide to get your dog to do this

Old 03-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Someone needs to come up with the guide to get your dog to do this

How ####ing inconsiderate, can't even lift up the seat for his bitch.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Where have i said to beat up people?

I think a direct approach is the best approach.

If they don't do it, I'd call bylaw.
Fair enough. I just cut out the step of talking to the pig. They don't respect you by letting mountains of feces pile up mere steps from your bedroom window, so I really don't see the need to approach them respectfully.