Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #381
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Tkachuk should be the captain. He was trying to set the stage for next time they play. He's not concerned about the puck being tossed his way. His tantrum takes focus off the loss. He's smart.
Chucky did next to nothing all game. That's not Captain material, nor is having a tantrum because of a puck flipped at him.

There's no way this was an intentional "take the heat off everyone else" move.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #382
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Flames flat after a break, not new. I'm not going to worry after 2 games
My primary issue stems not only from the Flames being flat after a break, but from coming out of the gates like a Horse that was shot in the face.

This is a truncated season. It is not the statistical grind of 82 games where everything sort of comes out in the wash and the wheat is separated from the chaff.

You cant have this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #383
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Chucky did next to nothing all game. That's not Captain material, nor is having a tantrum because of a puck flipped at him.

Agreed. He never has a good game after he does something controversial. If he wants to take it to the next level he needs to come out and play a big game after teeing it up with a pest move the game before.

Having a tantrum like my 4 year old when we turn off Paw Patrol isn't what the team needs. If he wants to be one of the best pests in the game he needs to be able to take it while dishing it out.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #384
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames are pretty unlucky to come away empty handed from these two games. Get those starts in order and they will be just fine. Bounces should even out over the course of the season.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #385
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
To be fair, that is your best defensive centreman in Backlund. It's not like he put Ryan with Lucic and Nordstrom out there.

Backlund had a pretty bad game.
I keep waiting for someone to say this but they put out Backlund's line because he's supposed to be our shutdown centre.

Now maybe Ward could have moved Ryan (or someone else) onto that line instead of Looch or Bennett but that's a different discussion.

As someone said earlier, the top 5 or 6 players can't play 5 minutes straight.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #386
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta give credit where credit is due: Johnny and Monahan look like they’re out to prove people wrong and I love it. Both with 7 points in 5 games. I know it’s early but they’re both scoring at a better pace than players like Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Matthews, Eichel, Tavares, Crosby, Kane, Panarin...

Really nice to see this start from the boys. Not sure if it will be sustainable but I sure hope it is.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #387
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Flames flat after a break, not new. I'm not going to worry after 2 games
As I said before the issue with being a Flames fans as everything around the Flames changes except the product itself. They have already lost their opening game and have come out flat after an extended break. Is it fair to assume that they are probably going to go on a little run soon that puts them atop the division only to gradually play worse as the playoffs approach and if they don't lose their playoff spot, in the first round lose to an opponent that simply wants it more? That's kind of been their thing going back to 2006.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #388
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

That seems a bit harsh.

He's consistently been the team's best player this season, and last night was no exception

Led the team in shots, individual expected goals, individual shot attempts, individual scoring chances ... the puck didn't go in, but he's been elite game in and game out this season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #389
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

As Burning Beard noted, Tkachuk does nothing after a controversial game. That feels accurate and I wonder if its because he spends most of that game waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Reminds me a bit of how he gets away from his game in the playoffs too. Tears it up for a game, tries to be the pest instead of a playmaker and gets hurt because of it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #390
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I still can't believe how lightly people are treating getting a puck flipped at you after the game's over. I've been watching hockey for 40 years, and I challenge anyone to find a replay of similar incident that was as blatant and calculated as that was.

Players don't just shrug that off, especially when it's someone on the winning team doing it. There would be an absolute sh**storm in the media if Calgary won and Tkachuk had done that to a Leaf. Especially if Tkachuck immeidately hid behind a ref like Muzzin did.

Absolutely friggin gutless.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #391
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I still can't believe how lightly people are treating getting a puck flipped at you after the game's over. I've been watching hockey for 40 years, and I challenge anyone to find a replay of similar incident that was as blatant and calculated as that was.

Players don't just shrug that off, especially when it's someone on the winning team doing it. There would be an absolute sh**storm in the media if Calgary won and Tkachuk had done that to a Leaf. Especially if Tkachuck immeidately hid behind a ref like Muzzin did.

Yup. Reverse this and the torches and pitchforks are out.

Remember when Chara fired a slapshot at Alfredsson? There was going to be a Forensic Investigation!

I think any fan, regardless of team affiliation should at least be able to admit it was Unsportsmanlike.

Either way....if we're going to do this then lets do it. No half-assing it. I hope Chucky gives Muzzin the 'Kassian' treatment.

Hit him. Cleanly. All game. Every game.

All Hail the Rat King.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #392
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just chill bill. If Muzzin fell on an already injured Rittich the game before, I would be more than happy if Tkachuk shot the puck at him. Preferably in the face with a slapper.

If it was Lindholm or Monahan on their knees there you think Muzzin would shoot the puck at them? You want a kyit disturber on your team. These are the consequences.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #393
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

To take it seriously would be a soft move like the Leafs and their fans. Who cares? Everyones focus should be winning the next game.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #394
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
As Burning Beard noted, Tkachuk does nothing after a controversial game. That feels accurate and I wonder if its because he spends most of that game waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Reminds me a bit of how he gets away from his game in the playoffs too. Tears it up for a game, tries to be the pest instead of a playmaker and gets hurt because of it.
There is something up with this guy. He does go quiet in the playoffs and it seems like when he riles up other teams it usually ends up in motivated opponents like the Kings that play the Flames like it's their Stanley Cup. Also it seems the more upset the opposition is with Tkachuk the better the chance he has a quiet game. Flames really don't need their opponents getting all amped up for regular season games as they often can't match that intensity.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #395
mrchristy31
Draft Pick

Quote:

I don't think it is quite that extreme, but it is certainly against the code. I know times are changing, but I've seen and been part of brawls for shooting the puck in the empty net after the game is over.
mrchristy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #396
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a case of take the number and wait for the next game...

Tkachuk I would bet will show some energy during the next Leafs game

Should be interesting....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #397
Knut

Exp:

Lets not be Leaf fans and get all up in arms over the puck incident. It is a nothing burger.

Hopefully it wakes Tkachuk up though.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #398
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

In football if you flip the ball to your opponent after a play it’s a penalty for taunting (aka unsportsmanlike conduct). I see this the same way here, although it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it in hockey (occasionally someone will take a shot after the whistle and a scrum will inevitably ensue). As mentioned previously, Muzzin did get assessed a 2 minute penalty here, as he should. Tkachuk was understandably upset; otherwise, take a number, move on.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #399
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That seems a bit harsh.

He's consistently been the team's best player this season, and last night was no exception

Led the team in shots, individual expected goals, individual shot attempts, individual scoring chances ... the puck didn't go in, but he's been elite game in and game out this season.
I didn't think many of his shots were dangerous and he's falling into some bad habits with blind passes, etc. He didn't agitate, he didn't defend well, and just seemed ineffective to me. His line had one monster shift that I can recall, but I thought the Monahan line looked far better.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #400
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So good to see playoff Backlund again last night he was in fine form.
Really liked Monahan last night winning draws, good compete level and a little mean in his game. Thought Gaudreau and Hanifin played great as well.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote