Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
wranglers Justin Kirkland: from dime-a-dozen AHLer to potential NHL fourth line candidate

Time for more good vibes.

Kirkland never really excited me much before this year, but man has he ever been terrific for the 2021–22 Heat. He's a big winger with surprisingly soft hands and a wicked shot that Dustin Wolf says is "pinpoint accurate."

Before this year, Kirkland had 33 goals in his first five AHL seasons combined. After setting new goals for himself with first-year Heat coach Mitch Love before this season, the 25-year-old Kirkland finished sixth in the entire league with 219 shots and seemingly turned into a high-end sniper overnight.

Wolf posted three shutouts in Stockton's Pacific Division Final win over Colorado. Kirkland scored three game-winning goals.

Justin Kirkland is capping off his breakout year with a terrific playoff performance

https://flamesnation.ca/2022/06/02/j...stockton-heat/

Quote:
Kirkland’s shooting percentage in 2021–22 wasn’t abnormally high — 11.4%, definitely an uptick for him but not a figure that leaps off the page. He remained a fixture on both special teams, as has been the case since he joined the Heat in 2019.

What changed, then?

“When you turn pro, it’s hard to find that translation from your junior game,” Kirkland said. “I was always thinking that my shot was maybe one of my strengths, and it was just finding that confidence to do it in pro.

“At the start of the year, I met with the coaching staff, going over what was expected of me to do for the team,” Kirkland added. “That was one of the goals that they really set out for me, to maybe hit a certain amount of shots per game, just being a little bit more simple in my game.

“Obviously, it’s translated to the puck going in the back of the net, which has been fantastic.”
Quote:
Kirkland is a pending unrestricted free agent, although it’s easy to imagine the Flames attempting to bring him back for another season or two after his breakthrough performance in 2021–22.

The Flames’ fourth line absolutely has room for a big winger with soft hands and a lethal shot. Kirkland likely won’t command a massive payday, and Calgary isn’t very far from the spot where he put down most of his roots growing up.

“I was born in Winnipeg, lived there until I was four years old, and then moved with my family to Camrose,” Kirkland said. “It’s probably where a lot of my closest friends are.

“I went to Vikings games and I grew up a die-hard Kodiaks fan, so Camrose is still a very special place to me.”

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have always been a supporter of Kirkland, one of half dozen pro players my son played against (or with) in elite minor hockey.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redlan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 12:54 PM   #3
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Potential dark horse for a roster spot this fall
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Costco is producing hockey players now?
Old 06-02-2022, 01:25 PM   #5
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Jesus Costco is producing hockey players now?
You want big, you go to Costco!
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rollin22x For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #6
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really liked Kirkland in the Dub; back when I was doing regular NHL Draft rankings, in 2014 I had him ranked 55th overall. Happy to see him progressing (he went 62nd overall to the Preds that yr of course).
Old 06-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Time for more good vibes.

Kirkland never really excited me much before this year, but man has he ever been terrific for the 2021–22 Heat. He's a big winger with surprisingly soft hands and a wicked shot that Dustin Wolf says is "pinpoint accurate."

Before this year, Kirkland had 33 goals in his first five AHL seasons combined. After setting new goals for himself with first-year Heat coach Mitch Love before this season, the 25-year-old Kirkland finished sixth in the entire league with 219 shots and seemingly turned into a high-end sniper overnight.

Wolf posted three shutouts in Stockton's Pacific Division Final win over Colorado. Kirkland scored three game-winning goals.

Justin Kirkland is capping off his breakout year with a terrific playoff performance

https://flamesnation.ca/2022/06/02/j...stockton-heat/
What’s his skating like, Scorp?

Last edited by Rick M.; 06-04-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

You love to see it!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #9
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Gawdin seems to have dropped down the depth charts, perhaps owing in part to injury.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #10
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
What’s his scating like, Scorp?
Be ba doo bop, doo wop be bop be doooo!

That's what it's like.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

mmmmmmm...Goals in bulk
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:31 PM   #12
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Be ba doo bop, doo wop be bop be doooo!

That's what it's like.
The best.

Scatting starts at 1:53 but plenty of amazing vocals in the 1:53 before it.

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
What’s his scating like, Scorp?
I finished giggling at your typo so I can give you an answer. It's not his best attribute but I don't think he'd have a ton of trouble keeping up as a bottom-six guy in the NHL.

Between Kirkland, Pelletier, Phillips, and Ruzicka, I think the Flames could have a really interesting variety of young guys pushing for spots in camp next year. They'll need some cheap depth players if they keep 13, 19, and 88.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #14
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

He scored some big goals this year, and some nice ones. He's got a badass shot.

There's also Duehr who really pushed in camp last year. His numbers don't look too impressive, but his game seems more suited for the NHL than some of the other AHL guys.
Redrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #15
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Surely he'd be better than Ritchie on the bottom.
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #16
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
Surely he'd be better than Ritchie on the bottom.
I thought Ritchie played good in the playoffs, but he was the first to be scratched so what do I know.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #17
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I thought Ritchie played good in the playoffs, but he was the first to be scratched so what do I know.
Me 2. He did his job
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #18
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

It will be very nice to see some of these AHLers fill spots next year. Tight cap might see 2 to 4 next year and they easily could be a big upgrade on the current depth.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:35 AM   #19
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I finished giggling at your typo so I can give you an answer. It's not his best attribute but I don't think he'd have a ton of trouble keeping up as a bottom-six guy in the NHL.

Between Kirkland, Pelletier, Phillips, and Ruzicka, I think the Flames could have a really interesting variety of young guys pushing for spots in camp next year. They'll need some cheap depth players if they keep 13, 19, and 88.
My first question was also about his skating. If that's the answer, I am not encouraged. If you aren't 'fast' in the AHL, you aren't fast enough for the NHL. And the Flames need more speed in their bottom 6.

Love all these reports on the AHL guys though - keep them coming please!
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #20
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
My first question was also about his skating. If that's the answer, I am not encouraged. If you aren't 'fast' in the AHL, you aren't fast enough for the NHL. And the Flames need more speed in their bottom 6.

Love all these reports on the AHL guys though - keep them coming please!
Yep, I was waiting for that too. There's lots of guys that excel in the AHL with adequate skating for that level, that would look like they're skating in sand in the NHL, unfortunately.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote